Ideas for posing this group of children and babies?

Name
Becky
Edit My Images
Yes
I do voluntary work at a children's hospice and recently took photos of a 6 week old baby, who was in for end of life care. He has defied all expectations and is now being cared for at home with his family. His mum has requested a family shoot with his cousins, who are aged 5, 3, 2 1 and another 8 week old baby.

I shall be taking my lastolite, beanbags and throws and am trying to come up with ideas on how to pose this group. The bean bag is big enough for the two babies, so I was thinking of having the 2 babies on beanbag with other children gathered around (obviously, keeping mums right by the beanbag for safety reasons). Have also considered sofa shots, maybe with 5 year old holding the babies (again, under close supervision) and other children gathered around. Also getting the older children to lie down looking up at camera, with babies placed there carefully at the last minute.

I have also considered that I may need to do some separate/smaller group shots on the white background and stitch them together afterwards.

Any other ideas?

I photograph babies for a living but this is an unusual group for me so looking for some extra ideas. Anyone?

Separate/smaller groups will increase your chance of getting smiles from those that can smile. :) If they are kiddies that run around I have a trick in the studio. I've got a big wooden box and the older kids can be put in the box (they love it.) and the three younger kids can be arranged in front of it. A basket or a toy box with a baby in looks cute and a blanket strategically placed behind the baby helps it 'sit' up.

If they're 'good' children the 5, 3 and 2 yr old might lay on their backs, head together in a star shape and you could lay the babies between them. (Does that make sense?). You'll need to get high above them, step ladders or stools probably required. Take a bell to get the babies attention and quickly fire off a few shots.

I hope this helps.

Back