Idiots with guns......

That is indeed what it is, idiots with guns. But accidents like that don't happen if the person is using a correct stance, and when not shooting the gun is unloaded, safety on, pointed away from people etc.

I have virtually no body mass at all and of the shotguns I've fired none gave me sore shoulder or knocked me back.

I think I might be one of the minority in the UK who isn't madly against guns.

:D:D:D:D

"Accidents like that don't happen if the person is using a correct stance, and when not shooting the gun is unloaded, safety on, pointed away from people etc.

I think I might be one of the minority in the UK who isn't madly against guns."

Looks like there are 2 of us in favour of guns here.

Well you wouldn't want to let Basil Fawlty near a frying pan. :)

When I mentioned frying pan I wasn't intending it's use as a weapon, incorrect use as in setting fire to the thing and burning your house down is what I had in mind, the inept will always make a hash of things whatever they may be using.

JHC..............love the nobheads getting smacked in the eye by the scopes, "I`ll put my eye right up to the scope, I mean, these things don`t recoil,do they?"..............:D

All candidates for this years Darwin award.!

Which reminds me, 2013's are in, and a very appropriate 3rd goes to..............................

Third Place

After stepping around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door,
a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store.
The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.
Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol.

The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, and several customers also drew their guns and fired.
The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics.
Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop.
The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds.
Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

Which reminds me, 2013's are in, and a very appropriate 3rd goes to..............................

Third Place

After stepping around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door,
a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store.
The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.
Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol.

The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, and several customers also drew their guns and fired.
The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics.
Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

Absolutely love it, kind of reminds me of the shoplifter that tripped down a kerb :LOL:

I used to love going to a local gun club range when I was in my late teens and early twenties. The fun went out of it when all the regulations changed after the shootings in Hungerford and Dunblane and I gave it up but I never once had anything happen like in the video and I never saw it happen to anyone else. I suppose when you shoot for an interest you take pride in what you do, when you have guns available to buy in the local corner shop available to almost anyone then a lot of idiots are going to buy them too. The video was mostly funny but they could have led to serious injury or death to an innocent party, like all things they have to be handled with care.

"Accidents like that don't happen if the person is using a correct stance, and when not shooting the gun is unloaded, safety on, pointed away from people etc.

I'm all in favour of guns but only responsibly. I work with guns daily and own several myself ranging from a simple shot gun to a .338 rifle designed and built in Finland for special forces.

Most people in this video are clearly numptys or have not had proper training to use the firearm. In my eyes there's more idiot drivers than irresponsible gun owners in this country. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of funny videos of people driving for the first time but then others will just comment on them "oh you have to start somewhere".

To me guns are no dangerous than anything else you can pick up/use as a weapon.

Last edited:
I'm all in favour of guns but only responsibly. I work with guns daily and own several myself ranging from a simple shot gun to a .338 rifle designed and built in Finland for special forces.

I used to shoot regularly and owned a few handguns and load my own ammo too, before the ban.
'S&W .357 magnum colt .45 (ACP) and a Tangfolio 9mm.
To the "anti's" I would say, my guns were in a secure safe, while I was at work.
And never once did they get out and shoot anyone.

I used to shoot regularly and owned a few handguns and load my own ammo too, before the ban.
To the "anti's" I would say, my guns were in a secure safe, while I was at work.

God the hammer of doom somehow feels less of a worry now :D

Mine are all kept in a safe in a locked room that not even my wife has keys for. They only ever come out for work or long range target practice now and again. I also make my own ammo but the wife is a bit wary of my doing that in our house. My boss is on about making a separate building for ammo storage on the estate. A better idea really in case my self or any of the other keepers on the estate have a house fire, all the ammo is kept out of our houses then. It's always a worry with my two young kids about.

all the ammo is kept out of our houses then. It's always a worry with my two young kids about.
Yeah good idea.
I but I thought the gun or ammo safes were supposed to be fire proof?
TBH its been years. (1995? IIRC)
I just have the shot guns now.

Yeah good idea.
I but I thought the gun or ammo safes were supposed to be fire proof?
TBH its been years. (1995? IIRC)
I just have the shot guns now.

They are meant to be but you can't 100% guarantee that something won't happen whilst I have everything out of the safes whilst making new rounds. It will be better when the whole lot is away from the houses and I can turn the room into a man cave:D just need the boss to pull his finger out and build us a big shed.

Last edited:
Lol it was the boss that suggested it. Out of all the keepers on the estate I'm the only one with a spare room:rolleyes:
I wouldn't say that too loud or the other's may well want to share your "man cave" :D

guns just good for killing folk or animals .
yanks like them for home defense which is according to them ranges frim raping your wife to a dog crapping on there lawn.

thank the lord they are isolated to there own continent.

There are loads of these video compilations all over Youtube, and every one of them features stupid, irresponsible untrained yanks.
Here in the UK, nearly everyone who wants to shoot joins a club (rifle shooting or clay shooting club) and everyone at every club watches everyone else like a hawk. People very quickly learn how to handle guns safely and responsibly, and there are hardly any accidents or near misses, or at least not among civillian shooters. Personally I haven't seen one in over 50 years of shooting.
Difference is those items are not designed to be used as a weapon.
Guns handled by the military or the police are designed to be weapons. My own guns and rifles are not, they are designed and used for sport. Of course, just like my chess pieces and my table tennis bat, they CAN be used for weapons, but it's wrong to describe them as such.

Garry, rifles are designed to kill things, mine do.Sport is a secondary option mate.

Garry, rifles are designed to kill things, mine do.Sport is a secondary option mate.
The fact that some rifles are designed to kill vermin doesn't make them weapons. They are weapons only if used for offensive purposes against people.
And many people only use them as sophisticated and expensive paper punches anyway.

I think we have the right idea in this country where you have to apply for a licence for a gun, giving a justification for owning it. The American system where you almost get a free gun in every packet of cornflakes is not something a civilised society should have.

Guns are o.k. for target shooting and killing vermin but are not a good idea for self defence.

Steve.

I think we have the right idea in this country where you have to apply for a licence for a gun, giving a justification for owning it. The American system where you almost get a free gun in every packet of cornflakes is not something a civilised society should have.

Guns are o.k. for target shooting and killing vermin but are not a good idea for self defence.

Steve.

In most states as long as you pass a background check then you're all good to go and you have to wait about 2weeks, correct me if I'm wrong. A bit stupid really compared to the UK system to apply. I lost count of how many months it took me to get my .338cal rifle and the all clear.

Gary. They were designed to kill first. Sport came after. It's not wrong to state a fact. The definition of a weapon is a thing designed or used for inflicting harm or physical damage. Does not matter what you shoot
Unfortunately, the Firearms Act agrees with you and describes guns as weapons. And many police of course describe them as weapons too, usually in a perjorative sense, e.g. "When his car was stopped a weapon was found in the boot of the car and was seized".
Some police forces do distinguish between guns and weapons however, and describe any legally held civilian gun used in accordance with the holder's certificate conditions as a gun, and only use the term "weapon" when possessed illegally or used by the police.

And you're wrong about it not mattering what you shoot: Some rifles are designed explicitly for target shooting and although (like any other sporting item) they CAN be used to cause harm, that is not what they are designed to do.

As it happens, I have a Martini Henry Rifle from the Zulu wars hanging on my wall, complete with bayonet. There is absolutely no doubt that it was designed for use as a weapon and, with or without the bayonet, it could still be used as a weapon - but it is no longer a weapon, it is an ornament unless and until I decide to use it as a weapon. The same goes for my dog. He's a pet, but could be used as a weapon or could become a weapon. The fact that he might become a weapon in certain circumstances doesn't make him a weapon.

It's all about intent, not about potential.

In most states as long as you pass a background check then you're all good to go and you have to wait about 2weeks, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it varies from sate to state but it's irrelevant really as there are so many guns owned by the American public that if you wanted one, you could get one easily. I'm sure there are no background checks for private sales of secondhand guns... or if there are, they probably get ignored.

Steve.

Twenty four misses? Twenty four???? Even I shoot better than that ;)

I think it varies from sate to state but it's irrelevant really as there are so many guns owned by the American public that if you wanted one, you could get one easily. I'm sure there are no background checks for private sales of secondhand guns... or if there are, they probably get ignored.

The BBC "investigated" this by buying guns at US gun shows. "Are you a US citizen? Are you a convicted felon?" A yes and a no (with no check) would let you buy a gun for cash.

I don't know why some people struggle to admit that guns are primarily weapons.

I think we have the right idea in this country where you have to apply for a licence for a gun, giving a justification for owning it.
Half right. For a weapon that requires a Firearms Certificate, you're completely correct.

However, the inverse is true for a Shotgun Certificate, where basically you're telling the police that you're getting a shotgun and then they have to come up with a concrete reason to say "no". You do, however, have to have a properly installed (i.e. not visible to the casual visitor and not easily removable; in practice this means out of sight and bolted to a structural wall) gun box, if you wish to keep shotguns at home.

(To complicate things further, there are certain shotguns for which you require a Firearms Certificate, namely those with a capacity of more than 3 rounds)

Back