IE7 Warning

Edit My Images
No
Microsoft released the full version of IE7 today.

I made the mistake of installing it. All went on okay but then when I tried to surf it would crash as soon as I left my home page. :bang:

Had a quick look through some news group and I wasn't the only one with that problem.

I ended up rolling back to IE6.

I've been running the beta 3 for a while now and not had a problem. You kinda expect the bugs in the betas not the full release version! :shrug:

yeah im running the beta version and its fine!

So is this quite a common problem? I'm tempted to give it a whirl, if anything just to see how it compares to Firefox.

Becareful when installing IE7 following using the beta version. It tries to unistall it and reverts back to v6, which is fine unless you are using tabbed browsing and multiple home pages in which case when it connects to the web to do the ie 7 down load it loads a new instance of ie 6 for every homepage you have defined.

The way round this is to remove all but one homepage.

But I guess thats IT for you, and thats what helps me fund my photography.....

I would wait Marcel. Monitor some of the techy forums and see what common problems arise.

It is easy to roll back through msconfig though.

I have tried FF in the past and couldn't get on with it. All though i'll give v2 a try.

I tried using the beta and every time I went to use a tab rather than open a new window it crashed. As Firefox is completely capable of opening tabs I didn't see any reason to go through the heartache so uninstalled it and I'm not going to look at updating to the IE7.

I installed it yesterday and it crashed my work system when finishing the install and I had to reboot.

Its been spot on since then, working as normal. I did have boatloads of things open yesterday when I tried to install it though so that might have been why it fell over, other people have reported similar problems with installation.

I'm growing to like it, although getting used to cleartype is proving interesting.

Wont even install on our machine even though every other program i have installed is fine.
Saddens me TBH and epecially how its already being used to attack machines via exploits 1 day after release. Surely its still a beta product?

I'm happily running Opera. ON the odd occasions I find a site that it won't cope with then I use IE, but only then.

can we have a "I hate IE" Smiley?!

I installed it yesterday and it crashed my work system when finishing the install and I had to reboot.

WORD OF WARNING HERE...

The retail release of IE7 that was released this week is total garbage..:bang:

As quoted by many here and on other forums I installed it last night on my PC and came home tonight to boot my computer up with no sound/printer/network and internet shutdowns..:thumbsdown:

Totally trashed my computer, Had to do a full re-install tonight but luckily I always have everything backed up apart from a few emails which were not needed really..:|

Microsoft have made a big mistake releasing this IMO because its just full of bugs..:bat:

I for one won't be touching it again until these problems are ironed out..:nono:

An easy work around if you need to remove the IE7 or any software that has nailed your system.

run > type in 'msconfig' > system restore > restore sytem to an earlier time.

take about 5 minutes and only removes the software installed after the point in time you choose. Non of your personal data is effected. Saved me from a lot of heart ache.

I have never really had an opinion either way about Microsoft. But now there are some good alternatives out there it may be time to look elsewhere. All ready I use google mail instead of outook.

An easy work around if you need to remove the IE7 or any software that has nailed your system.

run > type in 'msconfig' > system restore > restore sytem to an earlier time.

take about 5 minutes and only removes the software installed after the point in time you choose. Non of your personal data is effected. Saved me from a lot of heart ache.

Yeah I know about that command and did a system restore but still no joy, I think the registry got severly messed up somewhere along the lines and screwed the whole system up.:(

Jeebus I was hoping for a quick 5 minute system restore but not this time.:bonk:

At the end of the day a complete format and re-install is the best thing for both system and user, Its working fine now and very quick..:)

I'm happily running Opera. ON the odd occasions I find a site that it won't cope with then I use IE, but only then.

can we have a "I hate IE" Smiley?!

I second that emotion :)

All we need is to get the lazy coders out there to write their websites properly so they display properly in Opera and we'll never have to use IE again :)

Hmm thats not good.

I installed Vista tonight, and I gave IE7 a whirl...I just didn't like it for some reason.

If I'm being honest, I've always preferred IE's rendering display to FF's. Not sure why, I just think IE looks better *while* its rendering the display.

Saying that, I'm back home now on Firefox on Vista (y)

firefox has one security update a month so it looks like IE isnt the only target of those whop like to exploit stuff..

firefox has one security update a month so it looks like IE isnt the only target of those whop like to exploit stuff..

Firefox is embeded into the OS like IE though. Makes it alot safer to use.

suppose so!

OT anyone using the new media player 11???

any better???

11? Didn't know there was a version 11! Is that on full release or beta?

full release

and its fine BTW, couldnt wait :)

spangly new look
some new features

FTW !!

I'll download that then! Blue screen here I come :bonk:

Um, if Internet Explorer 7 ws that bad, we'd all be formatting our PCs after reinstalling it. The fact that we aren't suggests that there's something about your system, or the way you installed it that IE7 didn't like. Not closing down programs when installing a major update of an integral part of Windows is just plain daft! You're asking for trouble.

Anyhow - why are we all so keen to bash Microsoft thrice weekly just because 'holes' are found in their software? I don't see anybody complaining about people exploiting 'holes' found in Photoshop CS2 copy protection. I guess that's just because they work to our advantage because we can then get it for free, whereas IE7 is free anyway for users of legal copies of Windows.

I've been running the final version on IE7 with no system crashes for a week now.

One thing that really annoys me is the way it handles tabs and new windows. I would prefer it if it opened everything in either a new window or a new tab, not a mixture of both.

I can hold CTRL to open links in a new tab and do 'right click->open in new tab' but it doesn't work for my favourites and when a hyperlink is set to target blank it also opens in a new window.:bang:
So I end up with several IE processes running, some with tabs and some with without. It's just so messy :thumbsdown:

I've been running IE7 for a week or so now with no real problems. A couple of web pages seem to have minor glitches but nothing worse than FF. I've started using IE again as my default browser. Not had any crashes yet on either XP home or XP pro SP2.

Um, if Internet Explorer 7 ws that bad, we'd all be formatting our PCs after reinstalling it. The fact that we aren't suggests that there's something about your system, or the way you installed it that IE7 didn't like. Not closing down programs when installing a major update of an integral part of Windows is just plain daft! You're asking for trouble.

Anyhow - why are we all so keen to bash Microsoft thrice weekly just because 'holes' are found in their software? I don't see anybody complaining about people exploiting 'holes' found in Photoshop CS2 copy protection. I guess that's just because they work to our advantage because we can then get it for free, whereas IE7 is free anyway for users of legal copies of Windows.

People dis IE as it has more holes than all the swish cheeses. If it wasnt such an integral part of the OS it would be better but IE is the best way M$ can control your OS from there side.

Photoshop and Firefox are used by choice. IE is forced upon us.

WMP11 is running sweet here too. I like WMP TBPFH (y) Its nearly as good as my favourite - Amarok.

Back