If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would it be?

Cardiff might be another option :)

So i have:
- Poole
- Cheltenham
- Bath
- Vancouver
- Cardiff

I do wish i could sort some kind of plan for the next few years!

If you want Cardiff, get in quick, house prices are going up fast, could be a good investment opportunity too! becoming very trendy there

I'm a C# ASP.NET web developer! Which really is very exciting isn't it? :) So really i'm not 'that' limited on where i live, hence the thread and trying to choose a location.

Well you won't have any problems employment wise, but at the end of the day its down to you!!
Would you really want to move abroad, and if so will you not miss friends & family!

Or move to a big city like Bristol, Cardiff or London & still be able to visit friends & family!

I've ofter thought of emigrating, but I would miss my family and friends.:crying:

Though Canada does sound good!:woot:

Spence

Scotland, black isle sort of region. In the country but not too far from civilisation ;)

Sadly I can't ever see that becoming a reality, so I'll just have to stick to visits. A close second is staying here in Wales. Similar reasons to Scotland, just that bit more practical here.

I like Cardiff for a lot of reasons, and I'm glad to be here at the moment, but my heart is ultimately definitely in the country.

Manchester for me..It always feels like home going there..Longridge is just a vile place to live..yeah in 5mins in either direction leads to nice countryside..but I'd rather be where the fun is :)

I wouldn't choose to live anywhere in the UK now. I grew up and spent the majority of my life in South Yorkshire, lived in Cheshire 3 years whilst at uni, now live in Hampshire. I must say that I do prefer the north to the south, although doubt I would ever go back there now.

I can't wait to leave the UK, and hopefully this time next year I'll be almost ready for my one way ticket to Canada :D

Ditto minimeeze, only I estimate it being about three years before I can get out of here :)

Well, Matt, Denver certainly IS far from the ocean, but it makes up for it in many ways.

(But I'll bet you'd LOVE my home town of San Diego......)

- CJ

How about Norwich or Kings Lynn Matt? :shrug:

I would probably move to Norfolk, or Yorkshire. But I would ultimately love to move to Skye or somewhere close. This decision was made easy after watching Britain's Favourite View tonight ( make that last night since it's now 2am :eek:).

Anytime now Pete will be along to recommend Liverpool as fitting all your criteria ;)

Well, seeing as Pete hasn't appeared then I'll put forward Liverpool, or more generally Merseyside. Right on the Irish Sea coastline, a short car ride to the Lake District, Wales, Cheshire Plains and the Peak District. Miles of beaches to wander along and a city full of diverse history. Plenty of jobs there at the moment and great people.

It was that great I left for Toronto and have never looked back :LOL: :LOL:

Liverpool Is an evil building site at the moment.

South Liverpool Is the godliest of all Liverpool.

I'd love to go back to my homeland (N.I.) and live somewhere in the Glens of Antrim but prices have gone through the roof in the last 2-3yrs & I can't afford to :crying: - My brother has just bought a place in Donegal - Maybe he'll let me move in there with him :LOL:
Paul ;)

Right where I live now:

Rainow (crap website BTW)

I did spend some of my early formative youth in Formby, Merseyside and both studied and taught photography at Southport College of Art so I also have a fondness for that part of the world.

I also lived in Bootle (which was great when I was in my 20's playing in bands and drinking - but not great for photos - or smell!)

Dervaig on the Isle of Mull. ;) Perhaps not, though, if you want the Big City, or indeed anything other than lots of sheep. :D

As cities go, Sheffield is pretty good for everything except sandy beaches, and is on the doorstep of the Peak District (sheep again).

We're off to the west coast of Scotland in a few years' time to get away from everything that most people seem to want/need, so it's just as well we don't all like the same things. Even sheep. :)

I wouldn't choose to live anywhere in the UK now.

Wholeheartedly agree there Min. A whole host of reasons which I won't burden you with. Living in Turkey wouldn't be everybody's choice but it suits me down to the ground.

Dervaig on the Isle of Mull. ;) Perhaps not, though, if you want the Big City, or indeed anything other than lots of sheep. :D

I'm also not sure that anywhere in the UK really suits now, I feel really uncomfortable with many directions this country is taking. That said, Dervaig would be as nice a place as any! I like Aros (more conveniently located) but either would suit me okay :)

I'm another one of those lucky people who live exactly where I'd most like to - North Wales. Fantastic walking (Snowdonia), stunning beaches (Anglesey) & outside of the kids holidays pretty much NO traffic !!

simon

I'm also not sure that anywhere in the UK really suits now, I feel really uncomfortable with many directions this country is taking. That said, Dervaig would be as nice a place as any! I like Aros (more conveniently located) but either would suit me okay :)

I've been lucky enough to visit many of the countries on people's wish-list, but unfortunately I've not found Utopia except where you make it. Some other places are nice some of the time - others have problems that we don't usually get to hear about, so we think no news is good news and the grass is greener somewhere else. Everyone's idea of heaven is different, which is probably just as well. :)

I think my list is probably as good as it's going to get at the moment. I really can't see myself moving to the north, and don't want to live in places infested with the sort of teenager i'd rather shoot.

:)

How about Norwich or Kings Lynn Matt? :shrug:

In fact I was thinking about suggesting Norwich. Population around 140,000, geographically isolated in the sense that it has to make its own entertainment, but not so isolated that you can't get to London in a couple of hours or to Cambridge in a bit over an hour. I lived there between 1984 and 1992, leaving for career reasons but there must be IT work in the area as there are a number of big employers there.

Norwich is eccentric to the point of being barking mad. You either like that sort of thing or you don't.

It's supposedly the most perfect medieval city north of the Alps.

Don't be afraid of the North they have toilets inside and everything now. I've been up here since 2003 and will be sorry to leave next year. Your going to get teenagers worth shooting anywhere you go apart from Eastbourne which is where all the old people go to die.

Move to Newcastle, cracking city and only a stones throw from Northumberland, easily one of the most beautiful areas there is, probably only bettered by the Lake District.

I'll stay just where I am thanks;) Lymington...right in the heart of the New Forest. Bournemouth is 20 minutes away in one direction Southampton 20 minutes the other way. I can be in London or Devon within 1 1/2 hours and the IOW is only a ferry ride away:clap:

Why would I want to live anywhere else:woot:

Not here. Although the general area isn't too bad(its got nature, house prices are still relatively low etc) but its dead! Nightlife is non existent and everyone seems to have a small town, inwards looking outlook. Im not sure where I would like to live really, but I like the idea of living in a city while im still young. Manchester would suit me fairly well I think.

In the long run though I really want to see more of the world. I have lived half my life in Norway and have moved numerous times, so I can't see my settling down any time soon. I think Canada or Australia would be nice places to try out sometime in my life. I wouldn't be adverse to moving to a country with a different language, but it would be quite a daunting move.

Right now I'd go for totally the opposite of what you're looking for and probably go to Inveree on the Knoydart Penisular.

About as remote (and beautiful) as mainland UK gets. :D

If/when im gonna move I doubt it will be within the UK. Canada or Austrailia are most prominately featured on the list :)

Very happy where I am in the Yorkshire dales, Got a nice house in the country and only 5 minutes from Harrogate for any shopping etc.:)

Yep I gotta agree there. If I could live anywhere it would be right back in my house I just left (with some central heating added of course).

After reading this thread I can't help think - Why live where you ain't happy?

Then again if London had mountains I might be tempted away from the Highlands.

Been to a few places and of those mentioned here I like; the Lakes (mini scotland with better buses), the South West is full of interesting stuff and great coastline, Denver is interesting (with the coolest airport) ,but you know as a little girl once said, "there is no place like home".

:)

Anywhere away from the moron that lives next door, who thinks nothing of running up and down stairs several times and slamming her bedroom door each time, all before 7.30 am, then her dog barks solidly for the next hour. No fun when you have a week off (and work shifts).

Cant wait until January when my nipper is born....the cot is going right up against her bedroom wall :razz:

My parents recently moved to Kippford in SW Scotland, helping to run a huge caravan park. Went up there with my wife last week...and loved it. If I could work from home i'd move up there like a shot. Gorgeous surroundings, no boys racers or chavs, crime is practically unheard of and the wildlife and countryside is something else.

Joking apart Matt Milton Keynes is still growing fast. loads to do for the yung'uns property varies greatly in price. loads of job vacancies (I don't know what you do)
about 110 miles from Poole ( we go there for day trips)
the road grid system works well, only brief traffic jams in the rush hour.
And quite a few local parks, open spaces, lakes, etc I have lived here for many years and seen it all change, If I hated it I would have been long gone. like anywhere though, there is one or two places within the boundaries that I would NOT live at any price

I like MK. We used to go and stay with relatives back in the 70's when they were still in the throngs of building the city. We used to go and see the spectacular firework display every year in the centre of town. The relations used to live on a road right up against the Grand Union Canal - literally walk out of the front door, over the road and there you were - right on the edge of the canal.

As a kid back in the 70's, I liked the fact that there were/are kiddies playgrounds every other street - or so it seemed, and then there were random slides or climbing frames on other streets to keep kids amused. Nice place MK, gets a bad press from people who no doubt have never been there. :cautious:

After reading this thread I can't help think - Why live where you ain't happy?

For me its simply a matter of money and work. I want to move, but im not going to until I can secure a new job in wherever I would move to. I was unemployed for 6-9 months after graduation from university, and it was quite easily the lowest point in my life. So from that experience, I would rather be in a place I don't like too much but have a job, than be unemployed in the best place in the country. I would love to go traveling, as in really taveling and spend a few years going from place to place around the world, but im scared of what would happen once all the fun was over. You potentially would have to come back down to reality and be faced with finding a job all over again.

Bath.......great place to live but nearly as pricey as Poole Sandbanks lol. Well, ok, maybe not that expensive but getting on for it.

I love living here but it's just too damn far from any coast......Currently in Discussion with the missus about howq we'd make a living in Scotland. It is possible that I could carry on doing the Interiors photography. I think I'd be better with a temporary residence up there and another one somewhere down towards dorset/devon so I'm not so far from the sea.

I'm happy where I am for now though. As has been said above, you have to look inside for peace and tranquility, not to your immediate surroundings and all the trappings of life!

Well I've been living in Plymouth most of my life and as you have already mentioned - you lived there for 4 years so know what to expect!

For the last year I have been living in Bath (for uni) and I am also in my early 20s. I have to say that as time goes on it does get a little tedious up here - if your young and excitable then there is little to do at night times other than sitting in wine bars or going to the local cinema. This is why I have decided to do my third year (next year) at a different uni.

HOWEVER! I have also spent a lot of time (every other weekend, sometimes whole weeks) in Cardiff, thats where the gf studies. I have nothing but good things to say about Cardiff, the shopping is great, nightlight is great and you have fantastic train links to London (2hrs east) and beaches (1hr west). Also, you arn't far from the likes of Bristol and Bath if you want to visit - I go to and from bath/cardiff on the train for 10quid return, it takes an hour!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else.

PS

I have not read what I just typed so it may not make any sense.

Back