If you could only have one lens, which one would it be?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just out of interest, out of the 100s of lenses available, if you could only keep one of the lenses you currently have, be it prime, short zoom, long zoom etc. Canon Nikon, pentax sony etc, which one would you go for, ie which could you not live without?
I am wondering if there is a clear winner as the most popular lens out there?

You can have the macro - still trying to learn how to use it - but I can't part with any of my (two) zooms!
weeping.gif

Use them exactly 50/50 based on last 2000 shots...

But *if* I upgrade to FX, the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 is of course the keeper! :D

If I could only keep one I would keep my Sigma 100-300mm f4 as motorsport photography is by far my main and most enjoyed hobby.

Only problem is I would be screwed when we go travelling (which we do a lot).

Hmmm, too tough. I would ditch all my kit and buy a D600 and 24-120mm f4, at least then I could do a bit of everything (including a bit of creative motorsport photography!)

24-70 f/2.8 but I'd miss the others! Tempted by a 24-120 f/4...

It would be very hard to stick to just one but for versatility it would be my Nikon 24-120 f4

It would be very hard to stick to just one but for versatility it would be my Nikon 24-120 f4

You're not helping my GAS gramps! Might be digging the box for the 24-70 out and trading it in! By many accounts it's almost as sharp as the 24-70 even if it's not quite as fast - the D800 can give me the extra stop of ISO to keep the low light capability and I'm not into shallow DoF anyway. Hell, Mrs Nod's just upgraded her car so I'm allowed to spend some fun money too!!!

You're not helping my GAS gramps! Might be digging the box for the 24-70 out and trading it in! By many accounts it's almost as sharp as the 24-70 even if it's not quite as fast - the D800 can give me the extra stop of ISO to keep the low light capability and I'm not into shallow DoF anyway. Hell, Mrs Nod's just upgraded her car so I'm allowed to spend some fun money too!!!

It's a great lens and gives a very useable range for a walkabout.

Have to admit that I liked the versatility my variable aperture one had but wasn't overimpressed with the IQ on the D700. From what I've read on here the f/4 version is a street or 2 ahead of the old one in that respect and I've got a voucher for a few quid off the f/4 from when I bought the D800.

I guess Mrs Nod's going a-loft in the morning to fetch me a box down!

nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is my choice its loves a nikon body and it will never be parted:love:

For me it would have to be my Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8

Second choice would be the Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Third choice would be the Nikkor 12-24mm f4.0

Riz :)

Nikkor 24-70 f2.8

It would have to be my Sigma 150-500 OS for me. I'm using it most of the time for wildlife, birds and aviation. In second would be a toss up between my 70-200 f2.8 MkII or my 100 L macro, but that's just being greedy I suppose.

After taking 2 1/2 years building up my lens collection to exactly what works for me I wouldn't really want to pick any 1 out the bunch. They are all so useful to me at various times. Going to check out a wedding venue in a few minutes so the 150-500 OS wouldn't be much good to me there lol.

For my 3 currently in use shooters, it would have to be:-
Canon crop - 17-55 F/2.8 IS (the best EF-S lens every made)
Canon FF - 24-70 F/2.8L mkII (damn expensive, but awesome IQ)
Samsung NX1000 - 30mm F/2 Pancake (this camera/lens goes everywhere with me and fits within my pocket)

I have owned some very nice primes and tele zooms, but if I could only own one lens it would have to be a general purpose walkabout, as that is what I use >80% of the time. I am extremely fond of my 17-55 IS, even if it cannot match the 24-70 II in terms of ultimate resolution. The 17-55 is compact, light, has great IS and offers 99% of 24-70 II IQ on a crop format. The only downside is that it is not built like an "L".

Last edited:
If I could only have one lens, it would ironically be the lens I have just sold (to help fund a 70-200 f2.8 MkII) the Canon 100-400 L.

As I have two bodies, can I have two lenses? In which case the other lens would be my 100mm F2.8 L IS.
That would be everything I ever want to shoot covered.........

Last edited:
Gramps, if Mrs Nod ever catches up with you, she'll tie you in knots (for a fee!) - 24-120 f/4 on order. Voucher with the D800 brings the price down by £70 and a very generous trade in allowance on my Sigma 24-70 make the upgrade affordable. (Hell, compared to her latest toy, a few hundred on a lens is cheap!)

Back