If you could shoot any motorsport event...

Name
Vlad
Edit My Images
Yes
...what would it be?

Yes, its Christmas wind down time, so lets have some banter!

For me, MotoGP at Laguna Seca... I watch it on the telly everytime thinking "jeez I'd love that shot of the pack through the corkscrew!"

Easy for me, Le-mans, My 9th year going this year. Mixing in SPA as well as Silverstone 6 hours

Now if you are talking F1.... Monaco surely?!

WRC in the snow, well, it would look epic but can imagine it would be a nightmare to actually do the shoot.

Le Mans.... hmmmm always got the impression its more exciting as an idea than as a photo shoot.

Keep 'em coming!

Aussie V8 supercars at Sydney street circut or Bathurst

Yep I get your point on Le-mans.

But you get much better access than any high profile event I have been to. last year I managed to borrow a pass and get into the paddock, After 15mins of waiting I bumped into allan mcnish and tom kristensen on there way to a briefing. Managed to get autographs and a selfie as well as a 5min chat. Nice guys.

You can even meet them all at autograph sessions (all in the pit) and even during the open pit on the friday (abit its much busier) but all open access for the price of a general entrance ticket.

The whole thing is a massive even from test day through to Sunday night after the race. Just need to be into more than taking pictures of the cars but the fans as well as theres some bonkers (and not very safe) stuff that goes on.

Silverstone and Spa are even more open but less of an event.

Quite a few race series are quite open actually... its only really the superstars of MotoGP and F1 that get up their own backsides :)

I would say nobody comes close to BSB when it comes to being up their backside.

Sweden - it's all about the jumps and fans. It has to be seen one day I think!

Mines more of a bucket list than a singular event...

- WRC. I'd love to do them all...but Sweden, Finland, Australia and Monte Carlo stand out.
- Gulf 12 Hours. Photogenic cars and circuit, sounds like a win-win to me.
- Bathurst 12H
- Thunderhill 25 Hours. Looks an amazing circuit
- NASCAR Bristol. Tiny speedway, lots of people, colourful cars.
- The Paris-Dakar. I imagine it's tough, but would be so worth it...
- Pikes Peak
- Daytona 24

It may be ambitious, but I'm still young! :)

As a spectator, SPA GP is difficult to beat.
Photographing it - the cars on Eau Rouge - if you can convey how steep it is .... stunning!!

Sebring 12h, probably early-mid 2000s with the R8s.
1983 1000km Nurburgring
Pikes Peak
Petit Le Mans
Bathurst 12h
Baja 1000
Paris-Dakar
All of WRC, plus some old rounds like the '97-'02 Safari Rally.

..loads of others I've forgotten to mention.

Pikes Peak, but 4 years ago before it all went paved (although I'd happily shoot it now if someone wants to send me?)
But before that, I want to shoot Dakar. Really, really, really want to shoot Dakar!

Third on the list would be WRC Sweden and the old Safari rally.

Hmm, I have a very long list but I've always wanted to go to the 1000 lakes rally, Gatebil for some drifting and general madness, Pikes Peak and of course an F1 race at Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit (which will never happen, so would choose Monaco from the current races).

Real world? Goodwood Revival. Ideally with a period Leica.

Keep 'em coming folks :)

I'm surprised there isn't more longing for F1 action here.

Perhaps I should have added that in this fantasy thread, you have an access all areas pass.

Keep 'em coming folks :)

I'm surprised there isn't more longing for F1 action here.

Perhaps I should have added that in this fantasy thread, you have an access all areas pass.

I do want to shoot F1 but think it's ultimately like any other track photography, with the exception of the circus that follows. The reason I made my choices were they offer something technically different to shoot - whether it's the early mornings and high altitudes of Pikes Peak, or the inhospitable desert and remote access of the Dakar - unique events that are individual and considered more of an experience.

Two things on my list and both Red Bull.

1/ X Fighters FMX.

2/ Red Bull Air Race.

Two things on my list and both Red Bull.

1/ X Fighters FMX.

2/ Red Bull Air Race.

Already ticked off the X Fighters this year and can't wait to tick off the Air Races in Abu Dhabi next month!

Another vote for the Dakar, and the Peking to Paris Rally would be an amazing trip as well.
In real terms, I'd love to make a trip to the Spa Classic, and I'd welcome another go at the Monte Carlo rally, both WRC and classic.

Must be a round of the Japanese Super GT as that's what got me into liking motor sport photography, although I loved the cars back then(the likes of Honda NSX, Toyota Supra, Nissan GT-R R34, Mitsubishi FTO etc...) but not so much what they use now.

Have been going to Le Mans for donkeys years but last year was the first time with a camera as I'm a late starter to DSLRs , I'll admit I struggled with the fences and crowds, so I need to try harder this year ! I did the Brands GPs in the 80's that was the best , the Indy 500 would be on my bucket list and a trip back the the Daytona 500 along with my gear too.

For me it would be Angouleme (Circuit des Ramparts). Not a 'big' event, but one I'd enjoy trying to capture the atmosphere of... in that setting, with those cars... puts it top of my wish list at the moment.
:)

Isle of Man TT for me! Although I'll be doing Monaco this year, which should be pretty special

Trackside at any major Motorsport event would be great. I'm off to Melbourne for the GP in a few weeks, so if anyone has a spare tabard, I'd be happy to use it.. :)

I did get into the paddock in Singapore a few years ago..

Met this guy in Marina Square shopping centre on the Monday morning after the race too..

Last edited:
Yes, precisely the kind of thing I'd love to shoot.

Hi Charlotte

I see you list Essex as a location, if you want a bit of a flavour of classic motorsport look out for open mornings at JD Classics in Maldon.

My pictures are not a very good example but you can see the potential, free as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25857109@N08/sets/72157640181619325/

Some more detail shots - not mine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/querth/sets/72157631875224506/

Well worth a few hours on a Sunday morning. And parts of Maldon are quite photogenic as well

David

Back