If you had just ONE lens - which ones would you have?

For me and my GF1 it must be the 20mm f1.7 'pancake' lens. Just perfect for Micro four thirds.
panasonic20mm.jpg

had the nikon 24-70mm f2.8 for almost a week now. not had much time to play around, but i think we will get along just fine.

saying that though, the lens has far more capability than i have talent!

For me my Sigma 24-70 2.8. It does everything I need it to do. Upto now!

For me it would be 17-55 f2.8 (have for the D300) or 24-70 for the (would like D700).

Having said that, at the moment my 50 1.4 seems to be glued to the body for now :shrug:

For me it would have to be my nikon 105mm VR micro lens :)

Stewart, if you only had the one lens you would starve :LOL:

of the lenses ive got it would be nikon 18-70mm. pretty much use it for everything i do, and for everything i do its perfect. insanely sharp to the point where i rarely sharpen my images (other than when resizing down) and a fantastic lens to use.

however if i hadnt got rid of a 17-55 f2.8 or a 70-200 f2.8 it'd be one of those ;)

Personally I would check to see what type of focal lenghts you use and then plump for a 24-105L or the new 15-85.

I recently changed to the 24-105L as I found most of my pics were taken at 24+ and I really like the extra range and IQ of this lens versus my 17-85.

The 24-70L is a superb lens but a very restrictive range if you are just going for the 1 lens!!

Tamron 70-300.
But then it is the only lens I have as the kit lens for my D40 bought from Bennets last March imploded within 5 weeks and they refuse to replace it so until I sue them I only have my Tamron, it was the only lens I could afford so that I could use the camera at all.
I do like the lens though, it`s been great so far for learning with.
I would like a longer lens for wildlife/birds but the Tamron does nicely for my preferred targets of dog agility and horses, plus the Macro [ well, close up ] option on the lens means I can get reasonable-ish shots of flowers/berries etc as well, so as a duel purpose lens it`s not bad at all.
[ I am a beginner though so I don`t have anything to compare it to really other than the crappy duff 18-55 which I only got to use for such a short time that I did`nt get to explore it`s potential ].

NIKON 17 55 F2.8 (y) stays on the camera 95% of the time - If I had a D700 and 70 - 200 F2.8 it might be the 70 - 200:LOL:

Canon 24-70 2.8 as its never off my camera, use it for everything

still getting great suggestions - thanks guys

my last 3 lenses are on ebay as we speak - as of tomorrow night i'll have a 7D body and no glass :wacky:

Canon 17-55 2.8 is looking favourite ...

....or the 24-70 L

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Maybe then I'll finally stop this nonsense and go outside to take some photos !

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 for me - it's quite simply an outstanding piece of kit

24-70mm f2.8L every time, I love it

Back