If you only ever watch one photography video ......

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
...then make it this one.

I found this link:

on the B&W web-site:

http://www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk/forum.php

and it is probably the best photography video I have ever seen. It is enthusiastically and well presented with brilliant examples.

A word of warning though; I watched it and was so engrossed that I didn't' take any notes so I will now be watching it again to create a crib sheet to help me actually do what he outlines.

So be sure to have pen and paper handy:)

NB Mods - please move it if not on most suitable etc part of site

Watched the first half an hour.

I like the part when he reviews a shot and asks himself why on earth he took that. He knows something caught his eye and made him take the shot but that doesn't mean his camera caught what caught his eye.

Haven't the time to watch it all just now but will do later.

Last edited:
Nice find Chris.

Always worth watching Scott's broadcasts. Thanks for sharing.

That was worth every minute. Entertaining, informative and inspirational.

Right, I'm off to see what it is I like about other photographers work....!

Watched it s few times.

One thing I for from it was his opinion that if you see something and stop, there is something there worth photographing. Although I have spend considerable time looking at something only to walk away without anything :)

Cheers.

One thing I got from it was his opinion that if you see something and stop, there is something there worth photographing. Although I have spend considerable time looking at something only to walk away without anything :)

:agree: I often think that I'm not bright enough to see it and that a great photographer would:)

But keep trying anyway 'Nil carborundum illegitimi' (aplologies to all you Latin scholars out there)

This is brilliant, seriously changed the way I look at my photo's and way the way I think about shooting them. Defiantly an inspirational guy, I striped a lot of photo's off my flickr after watching him. And I now look at my photo's and think "would I hang that on my wall"? If the answer is no, it need to be better :D

That was an hour?

I probably had more important stuff to do, but it was well worth the watch.

Ive seen his PS & LR vids before and find him informative and inspirational, first time I have seen one of his talks on photography though. An hour well spent and I am sure will improve my photography

Steve

sat through it last night as was very interesting. I never used to like him that much as he came across as a bit too much of a wannabe comedian but he seems to have wound himself back a lot from that lately and is a lot better for it. Very knowledgable chap. Interesting last 5 mins, if youre photographing crap then youll get a crap image :)

Very useful, quality knowledge shared in a very tangible way. Thanks for the link.

I never used to like him that much as he came across as a bit too much of a wannabe comedian but he seems to have wound himself back a lot from that lately and is a lot better for it. Very knowledgable chap. Interesting last 5 mins, if youre photographing crap then youll get a crap image :)

That's actually exactly what I thought. I've never been a Kelby fan as I've never really liked the way he came across but he was great in that video, I might have a little nosy around and see what his other recent stuff is like. :)

I recently had one of his books out of the Library. Taught me more in 2 hours that anything over the last few years. His humour takes some getting used to though. Thanks for posting.

I have also told people at my photography class about it and I have yet to hear of anyone who hasn't found it brilliant.

That was really great. Good to see that even the pros take absolutely terrible shots from time to time!

This guy has a blog and web site called "the art of photography". He is so knowledgable. He is very well spoken and is compassionate about photography. I'm not sure if that is where you got the link from but if not just google the are of photography. You want be disappointed.

P.s sorry if someone already pointed this out. I didn't read the other post.

It was very good, and I appreciated you posting the link.

It was fascinating hearing his experience of the Taj and how he dealt with it: we went there a few years back and it was just like that for us, with a grey building against a grey sky. The point about subject matter is also highly relevant.

Great video from a Master...
Thanks for the link.....

...then make it this one.

I

Why?

A run through "rules" of composition.. including the perennial favourite that things shouldn't be in the middle.... (yawn)...

Then he shows us all his crap shots... "Awww... Scott's crap too.. just like us"... Why is he taking all these crap shots? Can he not see through the viewfinder that it's a crap shot? Why press the shutter on something that's a crap shot? Sure.. I'll work a scene as much as anyone, but why actually take the image? Can he not tell by framing it in a viewfinder that it's crap? So great... machine gun from every angle and sort through the crap when you get home... great advice Scott.

Then he does the same thing with a portrait shoot..... where he shoots hundreds of shots zooming in and out for no apparent reason, and still seems incapable if deciding by merely looking through the viewfinder.... Yet never changes his sh1t lighting, perhaps the MOST important thing... once. :banghead: Yeah work the image Scott!!!... :)

Then there were various exercises in how to polish turds in post process.

Then he told me to pay attention and look around... wow.. I mean.. profound stuff.... Thanks Scott.

Then to finish off he tells us that great photographs need great subjects.

Thank the Lord that this video came into my life... what would I have done without it? I'm now ready to "Crush the competition".... LOL

That was quite possibly the WORST photography video I've ever seen. I want my hour back.

Last edited:
I must admit, as an absolute amateur if I'd paid to be on that workshop, and I bet it cost more than a round of drinks, I would be fuming and wanting a refund! I've taken a few absolute newbies under my wing and taught them more than that video would and in a better manner in under ten minutes!!

As everyone on here seems to have enjoyed it I watched it right through waiting for it to get to the meat, and it never did! Confused... :(

Last edited:
Each to his own/takes all sorts etc:)

I got a lot out of it.

Back