Ilford contrast filters: full set vs half set

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I was just about to buy the set of filters when I saw they do a set of 0-5 in full stops for £10. It doesnt have the half stops but its a 3rd of the price. Do you think the half stops are worth the extra £20?

If you think you're likely to get into printing, yes, and honestly, the £20 is a tiny cost relative to the overall cost of shooting and darkroom printing film. Once you've got familiar with the process and tuned into what they do, there's a fair jump in contrast between the grades, especially as you get into the 3-5 region. The slight caveat is if you were only split printing, when you'll probably find you only really use 0, 1 & 5.

If you think you're likely to get into printing, yes, and honestly, the £20 is a tiny cost relative to the overall cost of shooting and darkroom printing film. Once you've got familiar with the process and tuned into what they do, there's a fair jump in contrast between the grades, especially as you get into the 3-5 region. The slight caveat is if you were only split printing, when you'll probably find you only really use 0, 1 & 5.
True, I'ev done fair amount but I used to have a colour enlarger so I didnt need the filters, I wasnt sure how much the half stops are used.
I want to try split grading but most of the time I just bump up the contrast and I'm happy, I dont really do dodging and burning unless I want a vingette

If you're happy with additional contrast then the student kit may be sufficient for you. I hardly ever use 1/2 grades split printing (I prefer to start with finding a time for 0, then overlay the 5s rather than halving a 2.5 time), but use the 3.5 for single grade prints dodged & burned regularly. Fwiw, I print colour too and have a colour head but still use under the lens ilford filters for bw. One nice thing is they're density balanced so in theory if you change the grade it doesnt effect the exposure, and theyre much quicker to change back and forth with splits.

I
If you're happy with additional contrast then the student kit may be sufficient for you. I hardly ever use 1/2 grades split printing (I prefer to start with finding a time for 0, then overlay the 5s rather than halving a 2.5 time), but use the 3.5 for single grade prints dodged & burned regularly. Fwiw, I print colour too and have a colour head but still use under the lens ilford filters for bw. One nice thing is they're density balanced so in theory if you change the grade it doesnt effect the exposure, and theyre much quicker to change back and forth with splits.
I went for the full kit in the end. I think you were right, for the sake £20 having the extra filters can only be a good thing.
Im excited to give split grading a go though, sounds tricky but I imagine it’s easier to understand when you’ve done it

Back