Ilford FP film expired 1981

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a large box of photographic bits off Ebay. One of the bits was a brand new bulk film loader with a new 50 foot roll of Ilford FP film in it (that is FP, not FP+). Expiry date was 1981 - so 36 years past its BBF date!

Well, obviously, I have tried it. 24 exposures wound into a cassette and put in my Olympus OM10 camera. Bearing in mind its age, I rated the film at 50 ASA apart from a few shots at 25 ASA. I have now developed the film using Rodinol 1 to 50 dilution and half hour stand development with one inversion at 15 minutes for luck. Clearly, using stand development removes most of the need to worry about ASA setting and I can see little difference between those exposed at 50 ASA and those exposed at 25 ASA.

Here is a selection - grainy and contrasty but usable film.

The Witham looking west

Untitled (4).jpg

The cathedral at 50 ASA
Untitled (5).jpg

The cathedral at 25 ASA
Untitled (6).jpg

Stonebow at 50 ASA
Untitled (9).jpg

Stonebow at 25 ASA
Untitled (10).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they are the correct way around. I would put the differences down to the vagaries of stand development and the fact I scanned with the scanner set to auto.

I shall certainly be using the film when I have suitable subjects for a contrasty and grainy treatment.

Back