Ilford ID11 5 litres

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry to start a new thread for this, but I am struggling to find the answer to this.

I've only been buying ID11 in 'to-make-1L' packs so far. If I buy a 'to-make-5L' pack of it does it come in 5 individual 'to-make-1L' packs or rather in one large packet?

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. It's a shame as I really like using it but probably wouldn't get through 5L worth in the 6 months or so that it lasts as I tend to use it 1+1 which would do me around 25 single rolls.

Though I could use it neat but then it becomes less cost effective.

The 5L pack has divided A and B parts like the 1L pack. As each part contains a mixture of components, and they are not homogeneous, the manufacturers advice is not to try and split the packs. Now as I have a background in powder sampling and chemical analysis, and still have the kit to do so, I do infact split down (using the cone and quarter method and suitable PPE and ventilation) the 5L pack into 5 sets of A & B packs and seal them into small zipseal bags and then vacuum pack each pair. I'm confident in my division technique and have noticed no significant variation between batches that I have mixed and used however would not recommend it to anyone who has not the equipment or experience.

One comment I made on the recent Ilford survey was that supplying small volume concentrates or even tablets/sachets of developers and fixers might boost sales to smaller users.

Last edited:
The 5L pack has divided A and B parts like the 1L pack. As each part contains a mixture of components, and they are not homogeneous, the manufacturers advice is not to try and split the packs. Now as I have a background in powder sampling and chemical analysis, and still have the kit to do so, I do infact split down (using the cone and quarter method and suitable PPE and ventilation) the 5L pack into 5 sets of A & B packs and seal them into small zipseal bags and then vacuum pack each pair. I'm confident in my division technique and have noticed no significant variation between batches that I have mixed and used however would not recommend it to anyone who has not the equipment or experience.

One comment I made on the recent Ilford survey was that supplying small volume concentrates or even tablets/sachets of developers and fixers might boost sales to smaller users.

Great, so all I need is a qualification in chemical analysis.

Seriously though, glad that's working for you.

Maybe I will give some HC110 a go.

Maybe I will give some HC110 a go.
Just to throw another suggestion in here, I've been using Kodak Xtol for most of the past year. It comes in a 5L 2-pack that has to be made up at once, but you then need a number of bottles to separate into smaller quantities. It can then be used at full strength with a top-up of 70ml fresh solution for every film you process, and you fill up the stored fresh solution bottle with glass marbles to exclude air.

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds, but you'll need either proper chemical storage bottles or maybe ask at your local pharmacy if they'll sell you some brown glass bottles. I've just bought a 5L pack for £17.99 delivered on eBay, and the seller has only 3 more left.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kodak-Pr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just to throw another suggestion in here, I've been using Kodak Xtol for most of the past year. It comes in a 5L 2-pack that has to be made up at once, but you then need a number of bottles to separate into smaller quantities. It can then be used at full strength with a top-up of 70ml fresh solution for every film you process, and you fill up the stored fresh solution bottle with glass marbles to exclude air.

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds, but you'll need either proper chemical storage bottles or maybe ask at your local pharmacy if they'll sell you some brown glass bottles. I've just bought a 5L pack for £17.99 delivered on eBay, and the seller has only 3 more left.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kodak-Professional-XTOL-5L-Film-Developer-FREE-POST/123317318389?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks, that is interesting. How's the grain on Xtol, is it fine grained or more like a Rodinal?

Thanks, that is interesting. How's the grain on Xtol, is it fine grained or more like a Rodinal?
Kodak designed it to be a replacement for D76 (ID 11 ), so that's close to the grain level.

XTOL is what Filmdev and Peak use, and is beautifully contrasty and low grain, IMHO. I don't use it for home dev because of the 5L inconvenience.

EDIT: currently using HC 110 and previously Ilfosol 3, both excellent liquid-based developers. I use the marble technique to keep the air out.

Last edited:
Back