I'm a Cornwall Virgin! Help!

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I went years and years ago without a camera!

Going to stay near Polzeath, Port Izzac in half term and being a Kentish Man I have no idea what's a "Must Shoot" in the area. (I'm staying in St Minver)

Any tips suggestions, looking mainly for Cliff, Seascapes, Rivers Waterfalls etc. Any inspirations for locations.

Can't be a dedicated togging trip as it's been disguised as a holiday for the wife and kids :naughty: But will slip out now and again!

URL to map where staying.

http://g.co/maps/9s5ae

I would recommend St Michael's mount (say it with a french accent to say you buying someone a point). Pendeen has a great bit of coast line disused mines and a light house a great pub to visit for lunch called Radjel Inn

Port Izzac is a nice place (where Doc Martin) is filmed.

Some of the gardens are great Treboah Gardens for one and Lost Gardens of Heligan

St Micheals Mount, excuse my Cornwallian ignorance isn't that miles from where I pinpointed on the map??? Love to snap it, but not if it's too far.

Nearby Padstow is interesting, fishing boats, harbour, and plenty of people-watching. Rick Steins restaurant/cafe/shops, boat trips and the lobster conservation centre all there as well to keep the family occupied.

I will be keeping a very close eye on this one, coming to the area too for the kid's half term break. Who knows we might run into each other :)

Matty777 said:
The wife's already gushing about Rick Stein :(

Do the Stein experience on the cheap. Eat at the fish and chip shop but tell people you eat at Steins,but omit the fish and chip part. Even so the food is excellent

If you want some dramatic pics in and around that area, try Bedruthen Steps. Access is normally via the National Trust car park. Watergate bay and the area around is good for some good beach shots as is Constantine bay. May even get some surfer shots as well. I'm told the restaurant underneath Jamie Olivers 15 is worth a visit for the food, but not been there myself

Last edited:
No, don't eat at any Steins place - in Padstow go to Paul Ainsworth's place - Number 6

http://www.number6inpadstow.co.uk/

It is a fantastic place, more affordable, really special food and one of the best dining experiences I have ever had without spending silly money.
He was on the Great British Menu on TV a few months back if that rings any bells.

Pack waterproofs as it always rains whenever we go out anywhere...

Some fabulous tips here, taking note of everything :)
Matty what a fabulous idea you had putting this up, was struggling to come up with places to visit worth photographing but seems the members here have come to our rescue :)

This was discussed a few weeks ago. I love Cornwall, was born and brought up there and regularly go down with my camera. I've put some recommendations and photos in this previous Cornwall thread;

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4017619#post4017619

Hope it helps!

Fabulous stuff Jim, going to check that thread straightaway.
I was starting to get a bit worried because wife just told me that we are going to stay near St Austell as we are visiting the Eden Project, so wasn't sure if all the above places would be accessible.
While kids and family are going to be entertained with other stuff the only thing that will keep me interested is finding spots and things to photograph

Padstow isnt far from St Austell, well its a 15 mile easy drive, a fabulous traditional fishing village with one of the best pasty shops in Cornwall, (and great fish and chips, and a world famous fish restaurant, Rick Stein's IIRC if thats your thing) would recommend a visit there!

Padstow isnt far from St Austell, well its a 15 mile easy drive, a fabulous traditional fishing village with one of the best pasty shops in Cornwall, (and great fish and chips, and a world famous fish restaurant, Rick Stein's IIRC if thats your thing) would recommend a visit there!

Definitely my thing :) big grin already glowing, great stuff, and your other thread looks fabulous. I was planning to stay only 2 days but I think I will end up staying far more days :).
Your other thread has some mouth watering images that would love to capture a few around those spots, thanks Jim

(y)

If you go to Padstow then hire some bikes and ride to Wadebridge.

It's the coming back bit when the camera will get used on the stupendous views of the estuary but on the way you'll pass a heronry for some wildlife shots.

Looking forward to it, however long range forecast is not exactly brill, wind and gales.....but there again what the hell did I expect for mid Autumn..lol

You've got to visit Trebarwith Strand, it's a mecca for sunset photography imo, its nr Tintagel...but don't get stranded by the tide, hence strand !
here's what looks good on canvas from there...

also Port Quin which is close to Port Isaac, there's even a coastal footpath between the two which is amazing, bit cold probably now though.
North Cornwall is fantastic, St Minver is an ideal base for these locations (y)

Damnit this isnt what i was expecting from the title :p

personal opinion, you have to love Bude! if you get down to the seafront there is a rock lifeguard tower thingy you can go up and get great angles.

a few of my favourite spots are bedruthan steps, godrevy point, tintagel, mevagissey and porthcurno. i would recomend any of those!

You've got to visit Trebarwith Strand, it's a mecca for sunset photography imo, its nr Tintagel...but don't get stranded by the tide, hence strand !
here's what looks good on canvas from there...

also Port Quin which is close to Port Isaac, there's even a coastal footpath between the two which is amazing, bit cold probably now though.
North Cornwall is fantastic, St Minver is an ideal base for these locations (y)

For sunsets like these I am definitely going to brave the cold :)
Thank you for all these tips

Bedruthan Steps is nearby (and the National Trust centre at the top does a mean cream tea).

Trevose Head has a lighthouse.

While access to Mother Iveys bay is itself restricted (private beach) you can walk round the coast path and get a good shot of the lifeboat launching from across the bay (if you have around long enough although I think they train on tuesdays).

Watergate bay is huge and good for sunsets & surfers, mind you, so's Polzeath (that's good for sunset & surfers, it's not a huge beach).

Hope you have a great holiday!

Not exactly digging Monday's forecast :(

WEATHER WARNING:
Issued at - 22 Oct 2011, 11:48
Valid from - 24 Oct 2011, 00:00
Valid to - 24 Oct 2011, 23:59

A period of heavy rain accompanied by strong winds is expected to affect parts of western Britain during Monday.
Timings are subject to some uncertainty at this stage.
The public should be aware that there may be some disruption to travel due to standing water or localised flooding.

For some reason, I just can't get Boscastle out of my mind :(

This is why i love cornwall, im off down to newquay tomorrow for the week, this is what you can expect from fistral.
5687849361_d009235746_z.jpg

Andy

Weatherise I think will just have to dig deep and hope for the best. Packing up clothing for rain too :).

Lens wise i am just wondering what I should carry with me. More particularly if the 70-200 IF f/2.8 should be dragged along or just the 24-105mm should suffice. Been using the 5D MKII heavily since I got it so not sure if I should drag along the 7D and the 300mm prime with the TC for any eventual wildlife but then start thinking why the heck am I paving a route for back ache trip.
Of course there is the tripod also which i am sure it should come along.

Anyone with suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Weatherise I think will just have to dig deep and hope for the best. Packing up clothing for rain too :).

Lens wise i am just wondering what I should carry with me. More particularly if the 70-200 IF f/2.8 should be dragged along or just the 24-105mm should suffice. Been using the 5D MKII heavily since I got it so not sure if I should drag along the 7D and the 300mm prime with the TC for any eventual wildlife but then start thinking why the heck am I paving a route for back ache trip.
Of course there is the tripod also which i am sure it should come along.

Anyone with suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Well im off down tomorrow and gear wise ill be taking the 5d mk2 with the 24-70 and also the 17-40, i also have the 70-200 2.8 but im still thinking wether i will actually use it, i sure i will be mostly using the 17-40 tho. i wouldnt bother with the 7d to be honest, you have to think are you going to shoot more landscapes or wildlife and in my opinion i go to cornwall for the fantastic coastline and views so landscapes all the way for me............

Andy

Well im off down tomorrow and gear wise ill be taking the 5d mk2 with the 24-70 and also the 17-40, i also have the 70-200 2.8 but im still thinking wether i will actually use it, i sure i will be mostly using the 17-40 tho. i wouldnt bother with the 7d to be honest, you have to think are you going to shoot more landscapes or wildlife and in my opinion i go to cornwall for the fantastic coastline and views so landscapes all the way for me............

Andy

Andy that's great, really helpful
I think 70-200 is staying. I will take the minimum possible so I can be as mobile as possible without contracting a hernia :)
Thanks for your replies

The week wasn't so good for me, the weather was about on par with a Scottish Mountain peak, with some absolute 18 hr plus downpours on Mon and Thur.
One of my kids came down with Chicken Pox, so really didn't get to do much togging.

However following the suggestion on here, the Pasty from Choughs in Padstow was outstanding....(despite it's £3.30 price tag!)
:)

The week wasn't so good for me, the weather was about on par with a Scottish Mountain peak, with some absolute 18 hr plus downpours on Mon and Thur.
One of my kids came down with Chicken Pox, so really didn't get to do much togging.

However following the suggestion on here, the Pasty from Choughs in Padstow was outstanding....(despite it's £3.30 price tag!)

Should have teamed up with me, Botallack on Tuesday was outstanding, as was Rosewall hill on the Wednesday. Gutted that Barnecutt's in St Just is gone though (or was I imagining it all along?) - they were excellent Pasties!

We came back last night. Bodmin/looe way the weather wasn't awful Monday, just lots of rain, but that meant the rivers were brilliant on Tuesday.
Bodmin jail was a great place for a Rainey day and great food. Thursday we had rain until 3pm but fine after that with a great sunset and stars in the evening.
Friday we were in tshirts on the beach at the end of october!

That's a shame, but glad you enjoyed the pasty!

Back