I'm looking to buy soft lighting to go with my vinyl green screen

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm an amateur and budding photographer and have purchased a 2.5m x 5m vinyl green screen. I discovered after having a photo shoot that there was a lot of spill and green reflection. Please forgive me if I get the technical speak wrong. I learnt that using soft lights will help with shadows. So I found these on ebay what do you think and can anyone give me any advice on what to use on a budget I have about £70-£80 and I'm looking for 3 continuous soft lights this is what I have found so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photograp...489380?hash=item3f82635c24:g:MDsAAOSwZKBZIeVb

1. The green reflection is caused by having your subject much too close to the background (it isn't actually a reflection, it's light from the background reflected onto the subject) so move your subject further away from the background
2. Soft lights will reduce the intensity of shadows, if that's what you want to do.. But "softness" is a product of the size of the light sources and the distance they are from the subject, and the softboxes in that kit (which is junk by the way) measure just 70 x 50cm, so to get soft lighting they will need to be extremely close to your subject
3.. Why do you want to use continuous lighting anyway? It has a lot of disadvantages compared to flash, and no advantages that I can think of, unless you're shooting video, in which case you need more power - those lights claim to be 2875 watts, but that's an "equivalent" figure and the actual wattage is just 575 watts, which isn't much at all.

You need to rethink your requirements / budget.

Shooting people and continuous lights isn't a great mix. There's not really enough power at budget prices to shoot people cleanly, flash is much better bang for buck.

But when I say 'budget' and flash, you're looking at £100- £200 per unit (flash and modifier) and whilst you can start with 1 light for most stuff, green screen might take 3.

Back