I'm pretty pleased with this.

Name
Glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken on a Kodak EasyShare M753, set to B&W.

Remember this isn't a digital SLR so be kind ;)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z283/Glennspug/100_0133.jpg
Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

C&C Welcome (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Few problems with this one dude. The flash has created a huge nasty shadow. Turn the flash off and find some natural light. Its not really a good b&w photo. Its more like what people who have no clue about b&w would think is b&w simply because it has no colour. No colour doesn't instantly mean b&w. It would need more contrast but that would turn your eyes black. The location isn't really that good. It looks like a quick snapshot in the bathroom or something. Finally, well you look stoned :)

I said be kind :LOL:

Yes, i'm a beginner and its not the best shot in the world.

Just wanted some pointers on how I could improve.

i see your new..

that was pete being nice:nuts:

although he did hit on most of it to be honest..

a good photo does not have to come from a dslr or slr

md(y)

That was me being kind :p Those are basically the main things wrong with it. Have a think about them, google some stuff and ask more questions. You'll start to improve. Just hold off the shirtless bathroom Myspace pics :p

a Good self portrait can be hard, why dont you try to take some photos of others or other things so you can see what your camera can do? you dont need a dlsr to create interesting pictures.

i look forward to seeing how you improve. x

Thanks guys.

Im going to have a little shoot in the countryside tomorrow if the weather is nice.

My latest self portrait was taken with a P+S, and I dont think anyones realised :LOL:

Everyone has already mentioned where you've gone wrong, my immediate reaction was Myspace pic, thats not good :D

My latest self portrait was taken with a P+S, and I dont think anyones realised :LOL:

Everyone has already mentioned where you've gone wrong, my immediate reaction was Myspace pic, thats not good :D

lol was that the legs shot betty?? x

Welcome to the forum mate.

Stick around and keep posting, a great way to learn. The shot you have posted, I can see the mood you were going for, and with a few pointers and tips, I bet you could make it shine.

Most of us lot are a helpful friendly bunch, and we all love to learn together.

Keep posting!

Gary.

Scooty,
just had a look at your cam, you should be able to do plenty with it before you need an upgrade.
1 tip, never set it to the B&W mode lol, I don't know if you have photoshop or similar, but you can do your B&W conversion there, that way you have 2 versions of the same pic and you can't do it the other way around.
If you don't have photoshop it's pretty expensive for the top version but have a look for Google Picasa and GIMP to get you going for free.

Scooty,
just had a look at your cam, you should be able to do plenty with it before you need an upgrade.
1 tip, never set it to the B&W mode lol, I don't know if you have photoshop or similar, but you can do your B&W conversion there, that way you have 2 versions of the same pic and you can't do it the other way around.
If you don't have photoshop it's pretty expensive for the top version but have a look for Google Picasa and GIMP to get you going for free.

To be fair, there is more to black and white than a few sliders. It's actually good to have your camera shooting in black and white to make sure you are getting the results you want!! If you shoot in raw, the camera still has all the colour regardless, just you see Black and White in the screen.

Gary.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Lets hope I can do better with tomorrows shoot.

I think it's a decent first stab but obviously as others have said there are issues with it.

I'd echo the point about not using the camera's B&W mode if you can avoid it and instead converting in post-processing. You should soon get an eye for what's going to work for you even if the post-shot display's in colour.

Yeah.

Just got to get an eye for it I guess.

But practice makes perfect :)

Unfortunately not.

Had something come up, but will try and get there in the next couple of days, hopefully when the weather isn't looking like its going to bucket down.

Back