I'm utterly shocked !!

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I was driving behind a BMW the other day for a considerable length of time.

The driver always used his indicatorsn and in good time too. He drove at sensible speeds. He stopped to give way when it was needed, and raised a hand to say thank you when anyone gave way for him. :eek:

The car was a "53" plate 3 series in silver.

I'm still in shock, I think I need to sit down.........

:LOL: Probably just picked it up and not read the section in the manual entitled "how to drive your BMW" yet :LOL:

:rules:

I think you are quite right there. I actually can't believe the number of people who take up position in the BMW lane on the motorway.

I love driving BMWs . It's great. You get letters from many organisations advising you of how fast you go. The police get all excited and even post vans on bridges to take photos of them.

Cumbria, Dumfries & Galloway and even Strathclyde Police have all sent me letters advising of 96, 88, 96, 87. Imagine my dismay when they decided to remove my license for 6 months and force me to use public transport :( I thought scoring points was a good thing until I found out once you reach 12 you get a wee note on your licence and then start at zero again!!

I don't indicate, I don't say thanks, I drive on the outside lane - even when the motorway is empty, I drive up the outside lane in traffic jams, I do the rat run, I use my mobile phone, did I say I don't indicate, I never drive below the speed limit, I tailgate, and finally I have the right of way at every roundabout!

I was driving on London at the weekend and while in heavy traffic (what, in London?:)) a bloke in a new 7 series just pulled out from a side road in front of me. I had not left a gap, i was waiting for the enquiring glance, and he just forced in a cut me up. So i proceeded to pull out and over take him, force my way back in front. Then the next side road that i come to let a couple of people out in front of me!

I can't stand people who think they have the right of way on the road (ok, by doing what i did i could be classed as one of those). I think that drivers should show manners on the road too. If he had 'asked' then i would have let him out!

I was driving on London at the weekend and while in heavy traffic (what, in London?:)) a bloke in a new 7 series just pulled out from a side road in front of me. I had not left a gap, i was waiting for the enquiring glance, and he just forced in a cut me up.

I would have just driven into the side of him, his fault for pulling out when it wasn't safe to do so maybe with a bit of whiplash for good measure :LOL:

I still can't understand why this transformation happens. You put a perfectly sane and well balanced individual into a 3 series and they become an absolute arse.

[rant] I hate 3 series with a passion, maybe it's because I value my life and my right to ride a motorcycle, and take offence when drivers of said BMW's decide they don't need to check what's around them, or indeed let anybody know what their intentions are....... [/rant]

Sorry, I almost lost it there for a moment....

Steve

it was me, and it was a rental car ;)

being more serious, i can see why BMW drivers dont indicate. I did rent a 1 series in Belgium and i couldnt work out how to cancel the indicators. you indicate to change lane and it keeps indicating, then if you try and cancel it, it indicates the other way! So I guess the easiest thing is to go straight into the fast lane and never move out of it.

I tailgate, and finally I have the right of way at every roundabout!

not when im coming round it you dont ,,, its not my motor ,and it weighs up to 44,000 kgs ,,i know who'ill win !

i once had to drive from nottingham to grantham to pick up one of our drivers (lorry) , who,d run out of driving hours.
i took another guy with me to drive the lorry back , in a company 3 series.
i drove like a k**b. mustve been the car.:LOL:
my motors not as big as donutagin,s , but it does weigh 17000kgs, and i win too.
i collected a bmw with it a couple of years ago. pulled out of a side road across two lanes of dual carriageway traffic. me coming down the outside. BANG .
one less bmw.slightly bent M.A.N
and yes, a lot of car drivers are totaly unaware of bikers. the flashier the car, the blinder they are.

not when im coming round it you dont ,,, its not my motor ,and it weighs up to 44,000 kgs ,,i know who'ill win !

I remember one day as I was flying on the outside lane of a dual carriageway and the inside lane was snarled up, I had a lorry pull out in front of me to stop me getting past. He proceeded to sneak out and left me nowhere to go so I just stopped about 2" from the side of his wagon and left him stuck in the middle of the road. After 10 mins he gave up yelling and was forced to reverse back a little to let me out as I couldn't move either :)

Not my car so it doens't bother me much ;)

I like my 3 series.

I quite like the 3 series aswell. More so the older ones rather than the newer ones. And 5 series too. The 7 series is a beautiful car (1997/8 ones anyway).

The last time I sat in one, I remember it having an indicator stalk, and mirrors and such like.

I like a lot of German cars to be honest. Its just that people who own them seem to forget where the items mentioned above are located.

Tis very stereotypical of me I know, but its also very very true.

I know a lot of folk will deny it, but theres no gettin away from the truth.....

I like a lot of German cars to be honest. Its just that people who own them seem to forget where the items mentioned above are located.

Tis very stereotypical of me I know, but its also very very true.

I know a lot of folk will deny it, but theres no gettin away from the truth.....

I can almost guarantee that on my old 20 mile bike commute from Heathrow to East London the ONLY people to pull out in front of me would Mercs (any type) 3 Series and X5's. I ride a bright red FireBlade with a sports exhaust and very bright lights. You have to stupid, blind, deaf not to hear it or see it - unless you're just not paying attention... Ah, I think I've just found the answer....

After changing lanes at the last minute and causing me to brake so hard I lifted the back wheel, one X5 owner commented "So, you're only on a bike". Sums it all up really......

Buy a BMW and lose your brain cells...... Sorry, but it seems to happen far to often to be coincidence. Shame, because they're bloody nice cars.

Steve

Buy a BMW and lose your brain cells...... Sorry

I should think so too, a joke is fine, but insults is just plain silly.

In my experience, any driver wearing a hat in the car should be well avoided. Chances are there is muppets in every type of car but you'll only remember the BMW ones because of the stereotype.

Yes, we do have DC's on the island, admittedly only about 500 yards of one, but its still there, lol.

Chances are there is muppets in every type of car but you'll only remember the BMW ones because of the stereotype.

There will always be a muppet in every type of car. I saw one the other day in a Corsa with fibreglass stuck all over it, M3 mirrors, tinted glass and a nightclub soundsystem in the back. But for every one in another type of car, theres 10 or 20 in a German car.

I should think so too, a joke is fine, but insults is just plain silly.

In my experience, any driver wearing a hat in the car should be well avoided. Chances are there is muppets in every type of car but you'll only remember the BMW ones because of the stereotype.

Liberalis, you may find that on the lovely IoM that may be the case, but I have to reiterate that, on UK mainland roads, the 3 series driver is the most unpredictable out there. I average around 30k miles a year, car & bike, and the only exception I can make is that M3 drivers seem to be "better".

Oh, and my Dad used warn me about men driving with hats too ! :LOL:

Steve

I don't want to get into a big huge hoohaa about it, after all I find the jokes quite funny, and more importantly I don't want to sound like a miserable B'stard either, lol

I would not doubt your experience of 3 series drivers, its your own opinion and were all entitled to them. My point was that not every 3 series driver is an (quote) absolute arse with no brain cells.

I am far from an IOM only driver, used to do many many emergency driving duties around the Midlands at all hours of the day and night, but one thing the IOM has taught me is how to drive at great speed on the same road with 40,000 bikes inches from the car, and no, not all on my rear bumper wondering where the hell I'm going next, LOL.

I'm not miserable or annoyed while I write this, I mean it in a lighthearted manner.

Regards

To be fair, it's that bikers 6th sense thing... When I see a 3 series (or any Merc or X5) I immediately "get ready for the unexpected", as my past experience has taught me to do so.

It is true, BMW's are "drivers cars", and therefore one would expect to see decent drivers in them.

I was once asked by my boss if I fancied a new 323i as a company car, and replied "Lovely car, but I just can't drive that badly" :LOL:

All light hearted of course......

Steve

my bike looks like a dayglo police jobby. and twin spots too. they still pull out. cos they arent paying attention.
on the other hand, two bikes passed me (driving the lorry) on the M1 in heavy traffic. i was in the middle lane doing about twenty mph, as was everyone else. one passed me on either side, doing about 50. now i like to filter as much as the next biker, but that was suicidal.

i saw a biker on a aprilia rsv filtering at excessive speed one day last summer.
after a half hour queue in stationary traffic further up the MWAY. we found him being lifted into the back of an ambulance in the middle lane. his smashed bike on the hard shoulder.
i wouldnt wish that to happen to anyone, but some riders do make themselves vulnerable.
and i HATE prats who sit in the middle of two lanes of traffic during a holdup. stopping anyone passing/getting in front.
had a gormless bus driver doing that this morning in notts.road works had closed one lane 600 metres infront of us. until police bike pulled up the middle of traffic, and bollocked him for holding up traffic.:bang:

my bike looks like a dayglo police jobby. and twin spots too. they still pull out. cos they arent paying attention.
on the other hand, two bikes passed me (driving the lorry) on the M1 in heavy traffic. i was in the middle lane doing about twenty mph, as was everyone else. one passed me on either side, doing about 50. now i like to filter as much as the next biker, but that was suicidal.

When I did a course with the Met in West London they told me about this speed trap they had set up in a 60mph section of the M40, just where it meets the A40.

The traffic was solid (stationary) and they were just about to pack up when a bike came down at 75, filtering in stationary traffic !! :nono: :wacky:

Mind you, I had some woman open the passenger door on the outside lane of the M25 once. She couldn't understand why I was so upset.... Perhaps the 3 metres of rubber on the tarmac may be something to do with it.... :bang:

hmmmm,

I think it may just be that in these modern times most reps & sales staff are issued 3 series rather than mondeos or vectras so there is a shed load more of them on the road. Unfortunately, the cache of driving a BMW is gone forever. The 3 series outsold the mondeo for the last couple of years.

Me?

I make damn sure I indicate, I give way and let other people out as it's a bit necessary in Bath, if you don't, the whole traffic system would grind to a halt! Pass the karma around dudes!

Now, don't get me started on Vulvas/Rovers. Laura's been knocked off her bike 3 times, 1 bus and 2 volvo's. I've been hit by a volvo driver who wasn't looking as she merrily drove across a double roundabout ignoring me in a big bright red seat already on the 'bout!

And have you ever seen a rover anywhere else than in the middle lane of the motorway doing 45mph?

Neither have I!

(by the way, I have an e34 bmw!)

best i ever saw was on M1 seveal years ago. there had been an accident that closed the north bound just outside of Hemel Hemp, sat for three hours no movement, a BMW came up the hard shoulder at speed, HGV took arse at this and turned into the hard shoulde...
result BMW with no side from front to back!! ooops

best i ever saw was on M1 seveal years ago. there had been an accident that closed the north bound just outside of Hemel Hemp, sat for three hours no movement, a BMW came up the hard shoulder at speed, HGV took arse at this and turned into the hard shoulde...
result BMW with no side from front to back!! ooops

thats the scarey thing about driving, people lose whatever sense they have!

BMW driver was probably an idiot, but quite possibly a doctor who thought he might be able to help, or someone trying to get to the hospital with a pregnant wife.
Either way, the truck driver could have killed them. Last time i looked, the death penalty hadnt been re-instated for driving like an idiot. In my book the truck driver should have been arrested.

Totally agree, and anyone who thinks that's funny is as much an idiot as those that use the hard shoulder as their own personal lane. Otherwise everything said by badgerbaiter above stands, you have no idea why he was in the lane.

I find this whole "BMW drivers are morons" a joke to be honest. I remember VERY well the day I got my Z4 some 5 years ago. I was scared ****less of dinging it and was also running it in, so obviously drove VERY sedately. However the change of attitude of other road users JUST because you're in a beemer was what stuck in my mind. Monday, driving a Renault Clio, no problem. Tuesday, Driving new Z4, everyone thinks you're an a-hole and treats you accordingly. Other than that, MY driving style hadn't changed at all.

I guess it's just jealousy to be honest (and I guess anyone that drives a premium brand suffers the same). As I see it there are just as many idiots driving lesser makes than there are those driving BMW, AUDI, Merc, Porsche etc etc etc.

Obviously anyone driving one of the latter is a selfish ****ard by default, nothing to do with having worked for it eh?

And don't get me started on bikes... it amazes me at how many people intentionally close a gap when a bike is filtering through traffic (and not just beemers peeps!).

I find this whole "BMW drivers are morons" a joke to be honest. I remember VERY well the day I got my Z4 some 5 years ago. I was scared ****less of dinging it and was also running it in, so obviously drove VERY sedately. However the change of attitude of other road users JUST because you're in a beemer was what stuck in my mind. Monday, driving a Renault Clio, no problem. Tuesday, Driving new Z4, everyone thinks you're an a-hole and treats you accordingly. Other than that, MY driving style hadn't changed at all.
That rings a bell. My wife is the most considerate driver I know, but she has a white SLK and people clearly don't treat her like a considerate driver.

That rings a bell. My wife is the most considerate driver I know, but she has a white SLK and people clearly don't treat her like a considerate driver.

I can only put it down to experience. BUT it does tend to be the 3 series rather than anything else. (Had another one today who decided to change lanes, cutting me up, and no signals....)

And Mercs are awful when it comes to shutting the doors on filtering bikes.

Its unfortunate for the few considerate drivers bmw/merc etc, (your wife included) that the majority spoil it for them.

Its no "wierd phenomena" that bmw/merc drivers get treated like ********s, (even the good ones unfortunately). Its simply because they are arrogant drivers. As a rule !! < got to keep throwing that in :)

For what its worth, 4x4 drivers are even worse, but thats a whole new can of worms. :LOL:

Back