IMac Photos HELP

Don't let OSX drive image storage - manually save images in locations YOU choose. Just like with any other computer.

It's the only way to be sure where stuff is located.

As I have never used an Imac, how to I do that. Sorry if I sound silly but this is all new to me.

Drag and drop to a folder you create.
Plug the camera in, or the sd card in. It will show as a drive on the desktop. create a folder wherever you want images stored by right clicking and new folder. Have both windows open, select the images off the card/camera and drag them over to the new folder.

You haven’t specified the software you are using. You capitalised Photos in which makes it sound like you are referring MacOS Photos app, but maybe not?

Drag and drop to a folder you create.
Plug the camera in, or the sd card in. It will show as a drive on the desktop. create a folder wherever you want images stored by right clicking and new folder. Have both windows open, select the images off the card/camera and drag them over to the new folder.

Will give that a go, it does seem silly having the card slot at the back of the screen but can work round that.

I googled for “macos photos import to album”

What Toni said is correct though it is possible to find where Photos is storing stuff or you can store it outside and still manage it with Photos.

Apple Photos is much denigrated by “Photographers” but the integration with the system and other apps is really useful especially for family snaps, email document creation with Pages and so on. Pages is a really useful DTP app for short document though the current version isn’t as good as the last :( no doubt in the interest of making it work across the iPads/ iPhones/web :(.

I'm on the Big Sur update, and trying to use the Photos app.

Sod that!

;)

Just treat it like windows or linux. Select the images or folders and copy/paste or drag & drop into the location YOU created.

Use Photos etc for stuff that doesn't matter where it's stored. Family snaps etc that you want to email as Richard said (if you don't mind not 'owning' them).

Last edited:
Sod that!

;)

Just treat it like windows or linux. Select the images or folders and copy/paste or drag & drop into the location YOU created.

Use Photos etc for stuff that doesn't matter where it's stored. Family snaps etc that you want to email as Richard said (if you don't mind not 'owning' them).
Yes. Though I disagree about “not owning them”. Unless it’s changed in Big Sur :( you can still store them elsewhere and manage them in Photos and even in Photos the “Libraries“ are just folders (though dangerous to muck about with them) containing your originals and edits etc.

Capture One will import RAW and jpg,

one thing to try is to make sure you have View : Global Filters set so that you can see RAW files as well as jpg

Global Filters affect importing

Capture One deffo imports raw files, create new session / import and navigate to the folder you have the images on.

There's an echo in here!

Is it possible that only the jpg files have been copied across from card to drive, or that RAWs are stored elsewhere?

You could try just selecting them all with the mouse and dragging to the Photos app and see what’s offered. Or just select the RAWS and do the same?

On a Mac, dragging with the mouse is always worth trying everywhere.

Last edited:
When I put the card from the Sony A7c in, then I click on the little icon that comes up RHS on Imac screen this shows up.

Screenshot by Dave, on Flickr

OK, so there are raw files on the card. Just for the sake of experiment, create a new folder on your desktop, then drag and drop all the files - raw and jpg into that folder. Eject the memory card. Open the folder to confirm they are in there, then try to import them into C1.

Will give that a go, it does seem silly having the card slot at the back of the screen but can work round that.
By the way, I agree slots at the back are daft, it’s to preserve the sleek look :(. It’s the same on my Mac Mini but easily solved by placing the machine facing the wall, the slots are then accessible, don’t try this with the iMac :) :exit:

OK, so there are raw files on the card. Just for the sake of experiment, create a new folder on your desktop, then drag and drop all the files - raw and jpg into that folder. Eject the memory card. Open the folder to confirm they are in there, then try to import them into C1.

It;s got to be C1 playing up as they all show Raw/Jpeg in folder on Desktop called Sony, sadly C1 still wont let Raw download.

Will have a look around for an editing software that will work.

Is it definitely BOTH Fuji and Sony RAWS you can't see, or just Sony? The A7c is new, and c1 may not support it yet.

You are fantastic mate, it's only the A7c raw, plus on the Fuji I had set it to Jpeg. It' now back on Raw/Jpeg and C1 loaded it fine.

Thank you again.

Just a reminder that in Apple apps the RAWs etc are handled by the operating system not the individual apps. Third party apps may do the same -- no idea :(.

Back