iMac SSD upgrade. Where to get it done in Greater Manchester?

If the hdd is working fine, I would flog the iMac and buy one with an original ssd fitted.

Depends on the age of the i.mac Carl ,I recently had to scrap my ten year old 21.5 screen one due to the screen packing up . It’s actually dead easy to get into one ,a suction cup will remove the front screen in seconds ,the l.c.d panel behind is held by 4 screws .then it’s a matter of disconnecting 4 connections once that’s out the hard drive comes out easily for replacement .
The hard part will be re.booting it ? My new 27 inch one has a ssd ,upgraded processor ,graphics card etc and will load up a few hundred raw files in a couple of minutes so it’s worth doing depending on the age of your machine

There is a company in Colne, Lancashire that I believe can do this - I can ask my mate where he got his iMac from for the contact details if you want to travel just outside M/cr...

Depends on the age of the i.mac Carl ,I recently had to scrap my ten year old 21.5 screen one due to the screen packing up . It’s actually dead easy to get into one ,a suction cup will remove the front screen in seconds ,the l.c.d panel behind is held by 4 screws .then it’s a matter of disconnecting 4 connections once that’s out the hard drive comes out easily for replacement .
The hard part will be re.booting it ? My new 27 inch one has a ssd ,upgraded processor ,graphics card etc and will load up a few hundred raw files in a couple of minutes so it’s worth doing depending on the age of your machine

It's a mid 2011 21.5", bought from ebay just over a year ago.
IIRC when I googled upgrading it a while back, you have to connect something to the new SSD so it'll monitor the temp, otherwise the fans will be on permanently! something along those lines!
This is why i'd rather a shop did it, than try to have a go myself.

Can recommend MBS IT who are in Alsager, they did my 2011 iMac and more recently my 2015 iMac. Its a great upgrade. I didn't want to attempt it myself either.

Upgrading the iMac's hard drive to an SSD is a simple job to do yourself. Remove glass then LCD, then hard drive. Fit SSD in a 2.5 - 3.5" converter (I use the Icy Dock ones sold by Crucial, and their SSD's), remove mounting hardware from old HD and fit to SDD converter. Then cut the 2 wires on the SATA power connector that would have connected to the old hard drive's internal sensor, and neatly solder in a 2N3904 transistor (the sensors substitute) sleeving with heat shrink tubing. Clean out accumulated dust and reassemble. The worst part is then cleaning any dust off the LCD and the inside of the glass, a sticky roller helps.

Edit - Oops missed that its a late 2011 model, so have removed my comments as not relevant.

Last edited:
It's a mid 2011 21.5", bought from ebay just over a year ago.
IIRC when I googled upgrading it a while back, you have to connect something to the new SSD so it'll monitor the temp, otherwise the fans will be on permanently! something along those lines!
This is why i'd rather a shop did it, than try to have a go myself.

You can just install a software fan controller. It's very straight forward. I did our late 2010 21.5" iMac a while ago. Was very daunting taking the screen off but once you've got over that, it's very straight forward. Have since done a few macbooks and another imac for friends. Worth wearing an anti static wrist band while you do it!

This is the fan controller software I used in the past.

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

Last edited:
Is it not possible to transfer the entirety of information from the current drive to the new drive.

Swap them around and absolutely no difference to the fans or anything elso.

Or did Apple make it awkward or something

I just upgraded my 2013 Imac to ssd without any issues it was the glue on screen version.
I got the kit from I Fixit in Europe for £22 the SSD from Amazon £130
About an hours work and mines now running very fast

Blimey! nearly two months later and I still haven't got round to contacting them!
I'll def ring up this Monday!
What did you upgrade your memory to? and what did it cost (if you don't mind me asking??)

I bought 2 extra 4gb sticks of Mac Memory very cheaply taking it to 16gb - my 1Tb SSD drive cost me £200 and it cost £100 to get it installed

Is it not possible to transfer the entirety of information from the current drive to the new drive.

Swap them around and absolutely no difference to the fans or anything elso.

Or did Apple make it awkward or something

Just use Disc cloning software its dead easy

Upgrading the iMac's hard drive to an SSD is a simple job to do yourself. Remove glass then LCD, then hard drive. Fit SSD in a 2.5 - 3.5" converter (I use the Icy Dock ones sold by Crucial, and their SSD's), remove mounting hardware from old HD and fit to SDD converter. Then cut the 2 wires on the SATA power connector that would have connected to the old hard drive's internal sensor, and neatly solder in a 2N3904 transistor (the sensors substitute) sleeving with heat shrink tubing. Clean out accumulated dust and reassemble. The worst part is then cleaning any dust off the LCD and the inside of the glass, a sticky roller helps.

Or pay £100 and get it done professionally! I'll try most things but not messing around with an iMac screen

Considering its 2011 I'd investigate a possibility of auctioning it and picking up a slightly later one, ideally with SSD already in. You may find it would be better investment overall.

There is a company in Colne, Lancashire that I believe can do this - I can ask my mate where he got his iMac from for the contact details if you want to travel just outside M/cr...

Hi Andy, I realise this was posted a while ago now, but could you let me know the name of that company on Colne, if it still exists.

Changed the hard drive in my 9 year old sluggish iMac for an SSD today because I couldn't justify buying a new iMac. Cost me about £75 for all the parts. I am not a "computer person" so I was apprehensive doing it myself, but there are loads of tutorials and guides on YouTube. Took a few hours to copy my hard drive contents to the SSD, but only about 20 mins to actually do the changeover. I honestly can't believe the difference it's made, it feels like a totally new machine and hopefully means I can get a few more years use out of it!

Back