Beginner Image noise : Me, Camera or both

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I echo what John has asked.

In my studio I'm at the lowest ISO (50).

The whole idea of a studio environment is the ability to control the lighting so you CAN use lower ISOs.

Because it's a group of us (5+) shooting at the same time with set lighting.
If I have a longer exposure I usually either catch someone's flash pushing off the exposure or the models move.

Use flash. Problem solved.

You and your mates have got the purpose of 'studio' wrong, as well as the best way to run group sessions. Without the noise, what you're shooting is just 'wrong' on all levels. Let's see if this makes sense to you.

Here's what you should consider IMO:
Proper studio lighting, mains powered flash and a selection of modifiers.

Taking it in turns to shoot. This will improve the quality of your images considerably. A subject can only communicate with one photographer. Plus you can set up your lights and poses exactly how you need them too.

As for your noise? I'm guessing the white bg is fooling your meter into underexposing so you're pulling up the exposure in post, high ISO and underexposed is a perfect recipe for noise.

Ok so the level of noise is due to the camera rather than me doing anything wrong (apart from having a high iso)?
Would a newer camera have less noise at the same Is?

You do not need a new camera, you need to use the one you have. Listen to Phil above, coordinate your photography with the other photographers, meter smarter and use low ISO.

You and your mates have got the purpose of 'studio' wrong, as well as the best way to run group sessions. Without the noise, what you're shooting is just 'wrong' on all levels. Let's see if this makes sense to you.

Here's what you should consider IMO:
Proper studio lighting, mains powered flash and a selection of modifiers.
This is a established club, though they don't call them selves a club.
They do have and use pro lighting but there not always set up with a studio flash depending on what they have setup/planned.

Taking it in turns to shoot. This will improve the quality of your images considerably. A subject can only communicate with one photographer. Plus you can set up your lights and poses exactly how you need them too.
As I'm starting out this spent bother me too much as I'm concentrating more on focus/exposure than how the model is positioned
As for your noise? I'm guessing the white bg is fooling your meter into underexposing so you're pulling up the exposure in post, high ISO and underexposed is a perfect recipe for noise.
Possibly but I'll play more.
So it's more of a under exposure problem then that exeragerates/exposes the noise?
These pics I've posted are not processed at all

Yes, a newer,higher spec camera will have less noise, but the problem needs to be sorted at source - you need more light, and seeing as you are in a studio situation...

Carts and horses spring to mind :)

Listen to Phil V above, I can only assume you are using a continuous light source yet you talk about other peoples flash upsetting your exposure?

So are you exposing for the flash modelling lights while others are using the flash? in which case taking turns will pay dividends both in lighting and being able to lower your ISO and getting better poses from your models.

Your noise will be a combination of the slightly high ISO and lifting the exposure...

Listen to Phil V above, I can only assume you are using a continuous light source yet you talk about other peoples flash upsetting your exposure?

So are you exposing for the flash modelling lights while others are using the flash? in which case taking turns will pay dividends both in lighting and being able to lower your ISO and getting better poses from your models.

Your noise will be a combination of the slightly high ISO and lifting the exposure...
I am listening [emoji3]
Yes I'm there are usually 2 softboxes in use which I'm using to set the exposure.
Sometimes a studio flash which helps when I get my hands on the trigger .

Most people are also only using the continuous lighting while a few use there built in flashes.

What I'm trying to work out is it that I'm underexposong which is bring out the noise or is it due to the age of the camera that's increasing the noise.

I expect there to be more noise at 1600/800

Doesn't seem an ideal studio environment to me, however I am not a people photographer so will not give advise on that.

Don't worry about the age of the camera as regards the noise, get your exposure right to start with, as said the white background will fool your camera meter into underexposing, you are then lifting the exposure to compensate thus adding to your noise problem. You need to do that compensation when you expose by increasing your exposure i.e. a longer shutter speed or a more wide open aperture. By not lifting the exposure in post processing the level of noise will be reduced.

With your type of subject noise reduction whilst processing your image is a distinct possibility but must be used with care so as to not 'smudge' all your detail.

At the end of the day a little bit of noise never hurt anyone and will most likely will not show in print or under 'normal' viewing on screen.

Everyone shooting at the same time sounds like a bit of a mess to begin with. I thought the idea of a studio was to be able to set up your shot how you want, not how everyone around you wants. And to use flash to enable you to control your exposure settings and have them set how you want, not how the ambient light dictates.

Knowing the limits of your camera as far as noise from higher ISO is concerned will teach you what settings are suited to the output you expect.

I am listening [emoji3]
Yes I'm there are usually 2 softboxes in use which I'm using to set the exposure.
Sometimes a studio flash which helps when I get my hands on the trigger .

Most people are also only using the continuous lighting while a few use there built in flashes.

What I'm trying to work out is it that I'm underexposong which is bring out the noise or is it due to the age of the camera that's increasing the noise.

I expect there to be more noise at 1600/800
Sorry to sound harsh.
But it sounds a right mess to me.

The subject can only pose for one photographer at a time. So any 'gang' shooting is just a waste of time and effort for everyone involved.

You'll learn more about focussing and exposure by staying home and wandering round the house and shooting in every room.

You'll only ever learn about shooting people in a studio environment by watching others who know what they're doing (rather than shooting over their shoulder and disturbing the subject) or being in control yourself. You're wasting an opportunity doing what you're currently doing.

I don't do people photography (I'm just not a people person). But I would say that when doing studio work with a model, you need to have an interaction with the model. You should be directing (posing) the model.
You can practise focusing on any thing at any time.

Learning to do portraits/model shots is to me the most difficult thing Ive encountered. The technical part is pretty easy, ie to get shots that are well exposed and look quite good. The hard part is the interaction with the model/sitter, to have an idea and comunicate that and to direct and pose her/him appropiately. Being rather shy and miles out of my Box I find it extremely difficult. Having people shooting over your (my) shoulder is the most annoying and distracting thing ive experienced both for me and the girl who's portrait i was trying to do. It meant I was not in control, my directions drowned in the chaos, I lost confidence and it took a long time before I dared do it again.

Yes, a newer,higher spec camera will have less noise, but the problem needs to be sorted at source - you need more light, and seeing as you are in a studio situation...

Carts and horses spring to mind :)
Thats what I thought but 'needed' to hear it from someone else :)

I've found it to be useful as it's something completely different,
Yes the environment is not ideal for getting perfect pictures, but I find it good experience.
Simple things like seeing what others do do with lights (if they do anything at all), what they ask the models to do and there interactions.

But it sounds like the noise is enhanced by underexposing, which I thought it was.
I 'll need to play more with metering and increasing the light.

Cheers

This...
I've found it to be useful as it's something completely different,
Yes the environment is not ideal for getting perfect pictures, but I find it good experience.
Simple things like seeing what others do do with lights (if they do anything at all), what they ask the models to do and there interactions.
The best thing for you to do whilst others are shooting, is to watch and learn, trying to shoot too is reducing your learning opportunities and...

But it sounds like the noise is enhanced by underexposing, which I thought it was.
I 'll need to play more with metering and increasing the light.

Cheers

Giving you lessons in stuff you don't really need to learn*.

Whilst you might see the 'noise' in the examples you posted, all I see is photos you never should have bothered taking. As a photograph of those subjects, the noise is the least of my concerns.

* You're in a studio, use the studio. If those shots were perfectly exposed and clean, they're still pointless.

Maybe a speedlight and umbrella would be better ways of learning studio photography, heck there's not even a modellinglight so your forced to think. The last sessions we had we had a few models and we set up in different spots so we could work undisturbed. Youd be amazed what is possible with a minimal amount of gear and a corner in a stairway if youve got the right mindset. One of the guys shows that over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not set up, say a Bowl of Fruit and practise settings on that.?

Last edited:
This...

Whilst you might see the 'noise' in the examples you posted, all I see is photos you never should have bothered taking. As a photograph of those subjects, the noise is the least of my concerns.

These pics are crap I know but were used to show the noise.

Back