image theft result

I have loads on sites like this. They are pulling images from Flickr using the Flickr api.
You have been attributed and it links back to your image on Flickr. Don't think you can do much about that as you've probably agreed to it in the Flickr terms and conditions.

Still wrong to take it though without asking, but yes they have attributed me :)

P4360002.JPG P4360003.JPG P4360004.JPG

Some while ago I got a heads up that Pinterest was showing one of my images but it had been 'filter' treated and then used on another site that at that time was non commercial. So did nothing about it!

Talking about it now Pixsy did not (yet?) find it...........must check my Flickr, was it there that I posted it?

I also have loads on hiveminder, they just link to flickr.

Still wrong to take it though without asking, but yes they have attributed me :)

You asserted all rights reserved on that image so they should not be using it at all in my opinion

Flickr - Copyright all rights reserved said:
You, the copyright holder, reserve all rights provided by copyright law, such as the right to make copies, distribute your work, perform your work, license, or otherwise exploit your work; no rights are waived under this license.

There's no argument at all within the EU. It's legal.
To me, that's the only sensible approach, as anything more restrictive breaks the Internet - finding an embedded image link on Hiveminer (which is just a search engine) is like finding your image via a Google image search. Neither Flickr nor Hiveminer are in the EU, of course.

I thought I'd give Pixsy a go. I've tried to register but I get a message saying that I will be sent an invite to complete registration. But no invite is arriving in my inbox. I have emailed the site to ask the question but had no reply. Anybody else had issues?

Last edited:
Just had a go and 48 "matches" but non were my photos- New York skylines mainly although there was one that I only took in Greece a few weeks ago (the match was someone else photo of exactly the same thing. Clever service though.

It does need a fair bit of input yourself to sort out any possible matches ,but as I found out it only needs a few to make it worthwhile ,either that or I have been extremely lucky

just heard back on my case - the company is in a country that they don't work with (Mexico :( ) so not going any further. The other matches just seem to be hiveminer and pinnsdaddy.

Well, as noted above I registered as per @Ploddles advice but this morning had an from Pixsy thanking me for my interest and due demand they would send me an invitation soon.

Well, as noted above I registered as per @Ploddles advice but this morning had an from Pixsy thanking me for my interest and due demand they would send me an invitation soon.

Very strange because I got the same email this morning despite already being registered the other way, i.e. Via pricing and not from the home page!

It's still working though.

It's picked up loads of matches. Many of them actually are my images, some aren't. Looks like it will take me ages to go through them all. It looks like most are from sites that scrape Flickr.

This is the first I've found that doesn't credit me and has blatantly been lifted. http://www.thebookoflife.org/cultural-mining/ the third picture. It says "resolution is not available for this match" when hovering on the "submit case" button though.

Last edited:
My only match is an old photo that been doctored and used on various computer wallpaper sites. Meh.

I got excited when it came up with a load of Amazon matches but all it was was the same bike, not the same photo

It's picked up loads of matches. Many of them actually are my images, some aren't. Looks like it will take me ages to go through them all. It looks like most are from sites that scrape Flickr.

This is the first I've found that doesn't credit me and has blatantly been lifted. http://www.thebookoflife.org/cultural-mining/ the third picture. It says "resolution is not available for this match" when hovering on the "submit case" button though.
Stick with it Alan ,take the time to go through them even if it's over a couple of weeks ,yes there are that come up resolution not possible ,but as I found out you only need a few good ones to go through to make it worth while .they are still chasing up one for me that won't reply to there contact letters or e.mails but you never know .

To those waiting for acceptance just wait ,it can take a couple of weeks

Can I ask anyone who has paid the monthly subscriptions, is it a fixed term contract to pay monthly or can you choose to stop paying the monthly subscription?

Same as you, this morning too.

You need to go onto the pricing page and click join on the free account there, you wont need an invitation code that way. I know that because I just did it and imported the max amount of photos on the free account.

just heard back on my case - the company is in a country that they don't work with (Mexico :( ) so not going any further. The other matches just seem to be hiveminer and pinnsdaddy.
what countries do they operate (recover from)?

Had a look at it (more out of interest and for a bit of fun than anything else).

It's definitely found some solid matches - although they were for my images on one of my websites! (Still, shows it works!).

Lots of hiveminer matches as others have had and I seem to have lots of matches on Mapcarta and Aroundguides (which basically seems to be the same thing), but they are credited links back to my flickr

there should be a slider under your matches that separates the commercial and non commercial usage slide it up to avoid time wasting ,also when you click on a match it should tell you whether they this it will be a valid follow up

As all my photos are licensed with "Creative Commons", I just use pixsy.com to see if and how these photos are used. Some are, but not many, 23 good matches.

The one mostly used, is this one. By pages which are describing the purpose of that funny and interesting device:

Campbell–Stokes Sunshine Recorder

It found this use of my photo, on a bog for a timeshare company. The photo is credited and my watermark still intact but I have not said they can use it and they haven't asked. looks like they have used it since 2010 and yet Pixsy says i cannot request a case for it saying "resolution is not available for this match, but no explanation as to why. Anyone know why it might be? This is the site.... blog.redweek.com/2010/11/survey-says-london-is-better-than-paris.html

That's because it's a blog ,site and probably doesn't generate any money from its use,or it's based in a offshore location I.e server may be in China or Russia.you can request a takedown though

Last edited:
It found this use of my photo, on a bog for a timeshare company. The photo is credited and my watermark still intact but I have not said they can use it and they haven't asked. looks like they have used it since 2010 and yet Pixsy says i cannot request a case for it saying "resolution is not available for this match, but no explanation as to why. Anyone know why it might be? This is the site.... blog.redweek.com/2010/11/survey-says-london-is-better-than-paris.html

That's because it's a blog ,site and probably doesn't generate any money from its use,or it's based in a offshore location I.e server may be in China or Russia.you can request a takedown though

I just signed up with Pixsy this morning and found several of my images that are being used commercially/ I have submitted a case for some of them but I also "resolution is not available for this match" also a lot of my imaged are on a site called "Picssr" and "Mapco" I have never heard of them.

Phil

It means they're not using your images, they are simply linking directly to your flickr account, or whichever account they are stored on. It's basically a different viewer for the hosting site's API.

Thanks
I've also seen what looks like on of my shot but the sky is the only thing that different.

It's a landscape shot the shadow are exactly the same as is the background and foreground right down to the depth of field.
Could someone have changed the sky and would I still have a case as it's being used commercially?

Thanks
I've also seen what looks like on of my shot but the sky is the only thing that different.

It's a landscape shot the shadow are exactly the same as is the background and foreground right down to the depth of field.
Could someone have changed the sky and would I still have a case as it's being used commercially?
Yes definitely because it's a derivative work without your consent.

Back