Immersion heaters

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Question for anyone that might know about these things.
My place is all electric, water is heated by an immersion heated with well insulated tack.
Since I moved here I've left it on all the time, it works on economy7, cheap night rate.
I thought that the shower came off it, but due to a problem I have with the water supply to the bathroom
it seems that I have a shower that heats the water as it used, and runs direct from the mains.
So all the hot water tank is used for is really the kitchen sink and washing up as the washing machine takes in
cold water too.
Is it worth keeping the heater on all the time at night or should I not bother and just use it when needed.
My theory is that heating a small amount of water each night can't be as expensive as heating a cold tank every few days ?

As you said leave it on, or you'll be heating the water from cold. If it's on Economy 7 you should have 2 immersion heaters, one will be used Off Peak the other will be there to boost it if you should use all the hot water.
Both can be left on as the internal thermostats will regulate when they need to be on.

If you don't really use it or rely on it, I'd just leave it switched off. Just boil a kettle of water for washing up.

As a side note, quite a few years ago my Dad used to leave his switched on all the time, (his only source of hot water).
One night the thermostat inside the tank failed & the water had boiled & semi melted the header tank. He got up in the morning to water running through the ceiling, down the walls & wet carpets.

The insurer wouldn't pay out either, because it was neither due to freezing, nor water/rain ingress.

It's a real pain to have to boil the kettle just to wash up etc, that would take a couple of goes, and then mopping the floor etc.
I might ask the plumber about fitting one of those heated taps in the kitchen that give instant hot water, not the boiling one

An electric hot water tap is a much better idea. That way you have water when you want it. One advantage of the immersion is that it will warm the room it's in.

I'm assuming the bathroom sink uses water from the immersion so it would still need to come on but perhaps for less time per day.

Last edited:
It might be worth considering an under sink, instant hot water heater rather than a cylinder (not a tank) with an immersion heater if your use is small.

Steve.

But it will heat the room it's in, he didn't say it would do it by much :)

Blimey, never thought of using it to heat the place :D
Seriously, it is in a small airing cupboard and so well insulated it hardly warms that up

The undersink water heater will not heat the handwash basin or bath water though!

It should not make a massive difference if it is controlled by a thermostat, as it will only be using power when calling for heat.

I no longer have an immersion heater....
But I have my timer set to turn on the heat for water, only one hour morning and evening, and for an hour when drawing a bath to replace the water. I also have the towel rail plumbed in to the same circuit so the room is warm when I get up or take a bath. (as are the Towels)

The undersink water heater will not heat the handwash basin or bath water though!

Don't have a bath, never used one when I did, and shower hose could be used to fill the basin (y)

Take no one thinks a heater tap over the sink is a good idea rather then a tank under the sink, which would reduce
already limited cupboard space

If you've got space over the sink and don't mind seeing the unit, I can't see a problem with it.

Take no one thinks a heater tap over the sink is a good idea rather then a tank under the sink, which would reduce
already limited cupboard space
As Nod says if you have the space, that's the way I'd go (y)

As Nod says if you have the space, that's the way I'd go (y)

It replaces a sink tap, heats water as it runs through, mains fed water, no space needed
And a basic one is about £105

Slightly off topic, but, why is it "draw a bath" and not as I'd say "fill a bath"?

Same as "draw the curtains", that's always baffled me.

You run a tap ! So running a bath ! You used to draw water up from a well in a bucket so draw a bath

It replaces a sink tap, heats water as it runs through, mains fed water, no space needed
And a basic one is about £105
Through what? there must be something that heats the water.?
I assume, as I did that Nod was thinking "Ascot" type appliance.

Last edited:
Hence my space comment :p

You suggesting I should go into space................................no such luck, I did go caving earlier though :D

15 litre under sink unvented water heater or over sink as been said but under sink may be better as you may need an expansion vessel too.

Spoke to my lovely plumber chap today, seems those taps are ok and easy to fit but quite expensive to run
and quite big, in his words ugly to look at on a normal size sink, but it could be done, so something to think about

you can get an immersion heater timer and just have it on for an hour a day

Back