Immigration `can of worms'?

Edit My Images
No
at the risk of being politically incorrect, it is after all an important subject that is effecting everyone in Britain.
I am watching the news this morning and the program was looking at poverty and the effect on school activities etc in one of the poorest areas in the country .

The camera showed a typical classroom and a shot of the playground and I suddenly realised that I hadn't seen a single caucasian child ? I couldn't help thinking that things had gone full circle and the minority had now become the majority and these kids are now growing up in areas and schools where there are no white kids ? thats about as ridiculous as an all white school and cannot be a balanced envioronment . ? What is happening to this country ?

Its quite simple, the govt has let too many immigrants in. But they are still heavily outnumbered by the natives, they just stick together!

It's been on the radio this morning that Lancashire Firefighters are being sent on courses to learn Polish, so they can understand what the firefighters are saying when they are trapped in a burning building. Hmmm....how about making sure the Poles can speak English before letting them stay here? (I'm all for letting other ethnicities coming over here for a better standard of life, but surely there should be some give as well as take?)

You will always have cultures in groups, and I cant see the problem. So that school is in an area that has not many white children. Where I grew up it was very much a while working class area, but in another suberb there were a lot of jamaican working class people. I dont think there is a problem that cultures/races have there own areas, in fact it may help people feel safer and allow more socializing withing that culture etc. Where I live now for example has hardly a non white face, you go 5 mintues down the road to the edge of Keighley and you hardly see a white face. Its just the way it is. Everyone still mixes and meets when they use public services etc.

As for firemen learning polish why not? I bet you firemen in Poland can speak pretty good English! The last thing you want is some poor Polish person stuck in a burning building trying to remember what the english for "my feet are burning is".

LMAO try living and working in London then. The two white English people that used to live here have moved out I think.

Bear in mind we're all immigrants really ;)

Oh I'm not racist. I hate everyone equally.

And yes, I'm an immigrant. My French aristocratic relatives came to England around 1066.

Plenty of Brits have relocated to Spain where they settle in predominately British colonies. It's the same for immigrants over here, we all like to be around our own kind. Just human nature I suspect.

I think this is an issue which is often misrepresented for political effect.

I don't have and don't know anyone else who has an issue with immigration per se. I have worked extensively in a multi-national environment and find the experience to be very enjoyable. I've often found the attitude, dedication and work ethic of my "immigrant" colleagues to far surpass that of many of the natives.

I do find it shocking that my branch of the Lloyds bank has all of it’s window posters duplicated in Polish and that when I walk through the streets of the city every other conversation is in a foreign language.
It really bugs me that everywhere you turn there is a immigrant selling The Big Issue or some knock off tat in the street. But despite this I don’t think “controlled” immigration is a problem.

I think the problems all stem from the attempts to make us multi-“cultural”.
As a nation we have established a model democracy which has been held up as a shining example all over the world. That society has been built on Christian values and the rules set out in the Bible.
Now I don’t wish to trample on anyone’s beliefs here but I think it’s pretty fair to say that most people today consider that historically the bible was simply a method for the learned minority to steer the lives of the unwashed masses. But even a confirmed atheist like I recognise that those values are the foundation for a civilised society. People in general no longer “fear god” but the commandments have essentially passed down into our law and wrong doers (should) now fear the law.

When we allow the mass influx of immigrants with different cultural values and specifically cultural values which are at odds with ours, the result is going to be friction. The PC philosophy is that we should respect the beliefs of others but the realist philosophy is that respect should be a two way affair and that if it is not reciprocated then our established cultural beliefs should take precedence. Unfortunately I think that the more momentum the PC politics gather the more people are pushed towards a third and far more ugly philosophy which has a racist agenda, veiled thinly or otherwise. Unless reasonably minded people stand up and say "these are the rules of our society and you will not be exempt from them" we are likely to see our model democracy undermined.

We have Poles that work here, & they are very hard working people.
But what grates is that they will only work certain hours because it will effect the amount of "child benefit" that they claim for their families back home:wacky:

You cant blame them for coming here to work, but its lunacy that they get family credit for their children that do not actually live in this country.:thumbsdown:

Oh & all my family came from Ireland!(y)

You will always have cultures in groups, and I cant see the problem.
Quite simply though, there is a problem. Things are not equal, not balanced, and not any longer are the rules fair.

Political correctness has taken over the asylum, and has gone way too far. So far now that the minority benefits (which of course they should), but not at the cost of the majority. There's no longer such a thing as 'equal rights' where race/culture are concerned I'm afraid - the scales tip heavily in the favour of the minority.

There is a problem a very large problem with PC these days, why else would the opening poster "almost" aplogise for opening this thread?, free country, free speech ( and the old one, "free Wales", ( with every two gallons :D) )...................nuff said

Nice one Chris... nuff said indeed.. :)

However, I can give you an example of political incorrectness that is just up this alley.

My wife, who owns and runs a pre-school nursery/playgroup, which is approved by the PPA and the Welsh Office/Assembly - has to comply with certain aspects of 'race and cultural legislation' to ensure fair play to all the children who attend.

She simply has to have some form of Sari or Indian cultural costume in the kit in the make-up and dressing up corner. Nothing wrong with that I hear you say... and I agree with you 100%. She has to have one... simple as, no problem. She does.

However, we are in Wales here yeah, and she does not have to have a Welsh cultural costume... nuff said eh!

Not fair... balanced in favour of minority... wrong. Simply wrong.

Crappy I appreciate, but something like this;
welsh-folk.jpg

The point being that my wife has to have a Sari or equivalent, but does not have to have a Welsh costume - when running and managing a pre-school nursery/playgroup part funded by the PPA and Welsh Assembly.

listening to the radio today they went on and on about this. and we printed some info about imigration numbers etc on the internet (bbc site) and the one thing that struck me was the benefits (housing, child benefit etc) that they are entitled to. now i looked into emigrating a while back and the things that struck me were that to qualify you must provide a something that is a skills shortage in the given country AND you must provide evidence that you can sustain yourself for a year etc prior to be given the ok. the one thing that strikes me about the UKs imigration is that if your giving people who have just moved into the country benefits, then they clearly cannot support themselves financially and shouldnt have been allowed to emigrate to the uk. but hey when have the UK goverment done anything sensible with regards to imigration!.

and that thing mentioned above about claiming benefits for children living outside the country is quite frankly rediculous and is something our goverment must stop, but i doubt they will

I was approached by a white man in my local high street the other day, (A heavy Asian populated area, and I'm white BTW) ... he said to me. .."Hello, do you speak English"

:LOL: Tis true. :eek:

I believe/know, the answer to the why, what, how many and I can't believe its going this way, is;

Tourism ... One of the UK's most profitable business ...Ie. to make more money we need more diversity, more cultures ...more tastes etc.

"Get that foreign money into this country...who cares what the population thinks, their just slaves to the system after all."

Forget the country we know and love and get with the new .... you have no choice BTW. ;) ..so best leave, or get with it.

My Tuppence worth :);)

Nice one Chris... nuff said indeed.. :)

However, we are in Wales here yeah, and she does not have to have a Welsh cultural costume... nuff said eh!

:bang:

It's these ( ever increasing) type of PC rules & regulations that make " us" ask these questions initially

My Tuppence worth:

Make the minimum wage for immigrants double the one for British people, and lets find out if business really needs all these immigrant workers, or they just want cheap labour.

Stop spending millions on printing government/council forms in every know language. If you want to claim benefits learn English.

Any non British person who commits ANY crime, deport them no mater what age, sex, job or dependent they have. Does not matter what country they come from, don't mess with our hospitality.

I'll believe the government and population wants a multi-cultural country when my local butcher can sell dead dog for the Koreans and horse for the French immigrants

I'll believe the government and population wants a multi-cultural country when my local butcher can sell dead dog for the Koreans and horse for the French immigrants

I just spat caffeine all over the screen! thanks! :D
and a great point!

Any non British person who commits ANY crime, deport them no mater what age, sex, job or dependent they have. Does not matter what country they come from, don't mess with our hospitality.

You'll be prepared to abide by those same laws should you or any of your family live in another country - they kick you out any time they decide you have broken any law?

Since coming to power Blair and his cronies have passed almost 3,000 new laws - PER YEAR. Imagine you living in a country where that was happening, and fall foul of one and you're out on your ear and lost what you worked for.

I understand what you mean, but it's nigh impossible to actually apply such intentions in a fair black or white manner.

I understand what you mean, but it's nigh impossible to actually apply such intentions in a fair black or white manner.
The thing is maodib... there's no such thing as a fair... "black or white manner."

"Political correctness" today is totally in the favour of the minority - whatever colour, creed or religion that minority happens to be.

Totaly agree with whiteflyer could not put it better

Bob

Stop spending millions on printing government/council forms in every know language. If you want to claim benefits learn English.

I'd love to know how much this costs the local councils & the NHS each year. :thinking:

My Tuppence worth:

Make the minimum wage for immigrants double the one for British people, and lets find out if business really needs all these immigrant workers, or they just want cheap labour.

This is what most people would like to see, so isn't it about time the politicians stood up for what the majority wants for a change?

This is what most people would like to see, so isn't it about time the politicians stood up for what the majority wants for a change?
Yes it is, but as I have mentioned already... several times... the minority rules here due to political (in)correctness.

I think this is an issue which is often misrepresented for political effect.

I don't have and don't know anyone else who has an issue with immigration per se. I have worked extensively in a multi-national environment and find the experience to be very enjoyable. I've often found the attitude, dedication and work ethic of my "immigrant" colleagues to far surpass that of many of the natives.

I do find it shocking that my branch of the Lloyds bank has all of it’s window posters duplicated in Polish and that when I walk through the streets of the city every other conversation is in a foreign language.
It really bugs me that everywhere you turn there is a immigrant selling The Big Issue or some knock off tat in the street. But despite this I don’t think “controlled” immigration is a problem.

I think the problems all stem from the attempts to make us multi-“cultural”.
As a nation we have established a model democracy which has been held up as a shining example all over the world. That society has been built on Christian values and the rules set out in the Bible.
Now I don’t wish to trample on anyone’s beliefs here but I think it’s pretty fair to say that most people today consider that historically the bible was simply a method for the learned minority to steer the lives of the unwashed masses. But even a confirmed atheist like I recognise that those values are the foundation for a civilised society. People in general no longer “fear god” but the commandments have essentially passed down into our law and wrong doers (should) now fear the law.

When we allow the mass influx of immigrants with different cultural values and specifically cultural values which are at odds with ours, the result is going to be friction. The PC philosophy is that we should respect the beliefs of others but the realist philosophy is that respect should be a two way affair and that if it is not reciprocated then our established cultural beliefs should take precedence. Unfortunately I think that the more momentum the PC politics gather the more people are pushed towards a third and far more ugly philosophy which has a racist agenda, veiled thinly or otherwise. Unless reasonably minded people stand up and say "these are the rules of our society and you will not be exempt from them" we are likely to see our model democracy undermined.

well put(y)
I too am worried about the declining standards of basic respect and consideration as our cultural values are being diluted out of sight and minority groups get better treatment than the rest of us. Just look at how we treat gypsys and travellers. I could tell you stories that would make your blood boil. (I currently work for a local council):thumbsdown:

l

and that thing mentioned above about claiming benefits for children living outside the country is quite frankly rediculous and is something our goverment must stop, but i doubt they will

tell you something crazy about benefits. Some years ago my stepson had serious back surgery at the age of 23 . He came home to convalece? with us then naturally wanted to rent his own flat when he got better but was still classified as disabled
He couldn't claim benefits because he was under 25 and we were told we had to support him so I forked out £10,000 to support him for the following 18 months which nearly bankrupted my new business. If he was an imigrant or traveler he would no doubt have got the lot.

Forget the country we know and love and get with the new .... you have no choice BTW. ;) ..so best leave, or get with it.

I did.

Here in Turkey you have to have lived here for five years and pass a Turkish language exam before you can get citizenship. There is also a long list of jobs that you cannot do because a Turk could do them. Why the rest of the world look after themselves and Britain rolls over to get kicked is a mystery to me. And why we, the people who complain about it, are cast as right wing racist bigots I don't understand either.

I did.

Here in Turkey you have to have lived here for five years and pass a Turkish language exam before you can get citizenship. There is also a long list of jobs that you cannot do because a Turk could do them. Why the rest of the world look after themselves and Britain rolls over to get kicked is a mystery to me. And why we, the people who complain about it, are cast as right wing racist bigots I don't understand either.
That's a big step ,I guess your job must have taken you there ?
You have raised an interesting question though... Why do we stand for it ? :shrug: If we speak out against immigration we are likely to lose our jobs these days due to discrimination. Is it discriminatory to care for your way of life and have pride in your Country, culture and History ?
I think we do not have sufficient interest in Politics in this Country. We moan and whinge but just don't care enough to stand up and be counted.I include myself here

Back