Impartial advice to upgrade camera equipment

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm in the process of upgrading my equipment. I had made up my mind to go for the Nikon Z5. However, I am now being convinced to look at the Canon EOS RP and the Sony a7 III. I have tried both the Canon and Sony at John Lewis and do prefer the way the Canon feels and also it is very lights.

• Nikon Z5 Compact System Camera with 24-50mm Lens
  • Canon EOS RP Compact System Camera with RF 24-105mm IS STM Lens
  • Sony a7 III (Alpha ILCE-7M3) Compact System Camera with 28-70mm Zoom Lens

I have read so many many different reviews it is hard to decide. I can probably narrow it down to either the Nikon or Canon as I didn't like the way the Sony felt in my hands. I have small hands and my knuckles were touching the lens. My budget is no more than £1800. I would describe myself as an enthusiast. To consider the Canon feels like a betray simply because I'm used to Nikon but I would be willing to switch based on what results come back.

I would welcome any useful advice to help with my decision. Many thanks.
MG

Having had full frame in Canon, Nikon & Sony I prefer Sonys.

I'd say the Sony kit lens is reasonably good if used correctly (don't expect miracles wide open)

The downside of changing is you will also be looking at then buying rather expensive glass to go with a expensive body . You state that you have small hands as well which usually implies someone small in stature . Not knowing what you shoot doesn’t help nor your PP skill level .
So before making a decision also consider the Olympus MFT system bodies and lenses are far far smaller than the opposition also far cheaper .
Performance is on a par with the others if you have decent p.p skills to . There is a dedicated Olympus thread/ section on here .take a look

I know what you mean - I was Nikon for 10 years+ and found it a really hard decision to move to Fuji. Overall, I am glad I did for a number of reasons but still miss the D750!

You will get used to another make but it will take time to get used to buttons and menus. Holding a camera is important, so it does sound like the Canon is the one.

I too have small hands but having got the Nikon D810 ( allbeit going tomorrow for repair becaus I dropped it, broken popup flash) it in my opinion is the best camera for the price. Recently matched it with the Tamron 24-70 mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2 and gives outstanding sharpness, it blew me away.
But then again having had/got the D70s-D200-D300-D800 and now the D810 I would never think of changing makes

Last edited:
But then again having had/got the D70s-D200-D300-D800 and now the D810 I would never think of changing makes

But the thing is the mirrorless are so different even with native lenses that you may as well feel like you have. There are even cross-platform adapters available and some (Canon -> Sony) are nearly as good as old native to new native. When I eventually make the decision it will first be based on value, features, ergonomics and only then my non-existent but apparent "loyalty" to Canon. As we speak today I would buy A7RIV over R5 because one is 1/2 price of the other while probably ticking more boxes but I've got my new toy for this year and it has the mirror and I'm so glad it does!

MG

I doubt it matters that much. Although late to the party, Nikon and Canon are catching up at a considerable rate, and unless you need a specific feature "now" all are going to be excellent.

My very "partial" opinion is that after nearly 50 years of using Nikon, I haven't seen anything to put me off doing the obvious and going with a Nikon Z camera.

Hi all

I'm in the process of upgrading my equipment. I had made up my mind to go for the Nikon Z5. However, I am now being convinced to look at the Canon EOS RP and the Sony a7 III. I have tried both the Canon and Sony at John Lewis and do prefer the way the Canon feels and also it is very lights.

• Nikon Z5 Compact System Camera with 24-50mm Lens
  • Canon EOS RP Compact System Camera with RF 24-105mm IS STM Lens
  • Sony a7 III (Alpha ILCE-7M3) Compact System Camera with 28-70mm Zoom Lens

I have read so many many different reviews it is hard to decide. I can probably narrow it down to either the Nikon or Canon as I didn't like the way the Sony felt in my hands. I have small hands and my knuckles were touching the lens. My budget is no more than £1800. I would describe myself as an enthusiast. To consider the Canon feels like a betray simply because I'm used to Nikon but I would be willing to switch based on what results come back.

MG

A lot depends on what inspires you to take pictures, and what kind of pictures you take. If the handling of the camera has to be inspirational for you to want to go shoot then get the one that feels best. If you need the widest possible range of adapted lenses then then the Canon is probably the one to get. If you need the best possible range of native mount lenses and the best AF (especially eye-AF) and performance then the Sony is the one to get. The Nikon will be the most compact with that lens, but IIRC both the Canon and Nikon are budget cameras and not a match for the sony in terms of features - to match the A7III you want the Z6, which was designed to compete.

HOWEVER. You've listed these with very specific lenses - would this be just a start before building a lens collection or would this be the only lens you bought? If this was the only lens then the Canon with its 24-105 will offer greatest flexibility.

FWIW I have an A7III - been using it for 18 months now with both native and adapted lenses, having previously had a D610. It took a little while to get used to the handling & menu system, but now it's mostly instinctive to use & the camera just gets out of the way. The Nikon had a plasticky, slightly flexy build compared to the Sony, and it's worth comparing build quality like that with these other lighter cameras. Ditto battery life and other things like AF performance and rolling shutter effects if you need to shoot silently.

It's most important you get the tool that's right for you, but given that selection I'd definitely pick the A7III again *for me*, even with the slightly poor ergonomics.

*edit*
Having read a couple of reviews, I really wouldn't touch the Canon (short battery life, weakest sensor - almost 3 stops less DR than the A7III, poor design where typical lenses like the 24-105 project below the bottom of the body so it won't sit flat). The Nikon scores well in many areas, even though it has the older sensor from the D750 and seems to be a nicely designed tool, though crippled for video. So even though the Sony is 3 years old, I think it's a better photographic tool than either of the others, and the 28-70 isn't a *bad* lens.

Last edited:
Might be worth hanging on a bit and seeing what happens to the prices of the Z6 and Z7 when the version 2’s are announced in the very near future, they could become relative bargains.

Might be worth hanging on a bit and seeing what happens to the prices of the Z6 and Z7 when the version 2’s are announced in the very near future, they could become relative bargains.

Rumours are II will have a bit of a premium to them, so possibly mk1 will go nowhere. Everyone was saying like EOS R was going down after R5 except it is anything but. Meanwhile most of you missed a bargain of a decade Canon 5Ds for less than 900.

Rumours are II will have a bit of a premium to them, so possibly mk1 will go nowhere. Everyone was saying like EOS R was going down after R5 except it is anything but. Meanwhile most of you missed a bargain of a decade Canon 5Ds for less than 900.
Not sure I'd want to buy a camera just because it was a bargain ;)

What is your existing camera kit? Why do you want to upgrade as in what is it that is lacking or what has changed since you bought it? What do you want for your type of photography? Megapixel, lowlight, IBIS, dynamic range, battery life, weather sealing etc

Im not sure Id find the RP much of an upgrade. IRRC the comparisons between the three place it behind both the others.

Not sure I'd want to buy a camera just because it was a bargain ;)

Disagree. When you take the money out of equation you would very happily pick up almost of the top end models and consequently find it was a great move. And it's not just for cameras either. Likewise you can spend big and end up very disappointed because that also raises expectations sky high somehow. Imagine a camera with a fuzzy viewfinder, tiny battery, crappy menus and uncomfortable grip. Yep it's real and mentioned here.

Disagree. When you take the money out of equation you would very happily pick up almost of the top end models and consequently find it was a great move. And it's not just for cameras either. Likewise you can spend big and end up very disappointed because that also raises expectations sky high somehow. Imagine a camera with a fuzzy viewfinder, tiny battery, crappy menus and uncomfortable grip. Yep it's real and mentioned here.
But then you'd have to invest in a whole new set of lenses as well o_O:oops: :$

But then you'd have to invest in a whole new set of lenses as well o_O:oops: :$

Not necessarily or at least not for the start where most mirrorless systems are concerned. Even nikon Z would take my EF glass with 3rd party adapter and for landscapes it would be fine. Sony I believe would be almost as good as native. Would I say no to super cheap Pansonic S1R? Of course I'd take it. Of course you can't go the other way or Dslr to dslr, but then continuing money no object course you may find a lens or two specific for that manufacturer that you may really want. For example Nikon Z 14-30 f/4... or all the f/1.2 or 24mm TSE II from Canon. We are likely getting into running 2 systems side by side and I'm not sure that is as bad as it sounds. EF + RF would already constitute 2 systems and most of us can't afford switching the whole bag in one go --> more like 2-3 years for 70%.

The biggest move is from DSLR to mirrorless.
Once that decision is made, and the inevitable costs of new lenses and accessories accepted.
The actual make is down more to personal preference in the way of handling an convenience of controlls and menu systems.

In terms of quality of images produced there is nothing in it.
The lens line up from Fuji is about the best of the bunch at the moment, and is the least expensive.
Sony is also outstanding but considerably more Expensive.
Canon An Nikon are still finding their feet lens wise, but have prices on a par with Sony...
Old Heritage DSLR lenses can be used but do not really cut it.

For all the aspects of focus. Sony are still well out front.

It is probably best to think long term , and select what feels right for you when doing what you like to do.

For most of these reasons I have settled on Fuji. Though I accept it is behind the sophistication of the Sony focus abilities and has a smaller sensor. But as I never seem to print larger than A3 the difference is academic.

I have ended up with a much smaller and lighter kit. Even downsizing my tripods and heads.
Changing a camera has implications far wider and all embracing than the camera itself.
Brand loyalty come very low on my priorities... But once chosen, does affect all future possibilities.

I have both Oly and Canon systems as well as a Panosonic LX100ii which gave me a shot last month which I am delighted with and has been used in my club's exhibition at A3 size in mono. I think you have already been asked what your kit doesn't do that you want it to do and seems a really important question to answer. In 2016, I wanted a mirrorless system to go with my Canon system and having handled the Fuji and Sony cameras, found the Olympus felt great in my hands., I tried it with the Test and Wow. Of course, weight is now not the big selling point for most systems as the FF systems demand heavy glass at the wide apertures. While I was researching this, I went to presentation by one of the brands. He, like me, thinks that there aren't bad systems out there. Here's the list:

1. Write down what you want your camera to do and the features that you need for the photography that you want to do.
2. Write down a list of the cameras that would do that for you.
3. Cross out the ones that you cannot afford.
4. Go and pick them up [more tricky these days]
5. Make a choice...

Assuming that this is not GAS of course! :). Good luck with your decision.

Having looked at your Alamy gallery I suggest a Nikon Z6 with 24-70 F4 lens @ £1630 from panamoz. Panamoz is a grey market operator but many on here use them and they come with a 3 year warranty which they honour.

dont keep us in suspense . spill the beans

Yes... what did you do - a week later; quite a few replies and no word from you. Spill!

Back