Import taxes?

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone happen to know what sort of costs i'd be looking at if i imported something with an approx value of £450 from the US?

I gotta go out now but from memory lenses are 5% duty plus vat on that total plus a charge for paperwork by the shipper usually £10-£20
Will check later when I get back if you want, because I cant remember for sure the taric code.

Does anyone happen to know what sort of costs i'd be looking at if i imported something with an approx value of £450 from the US?

I imported a C/F tripod & head bought for 350USD I got "caught" for about £25 I think.
Other stuff I have bought from the States didn't cost me a penny. Its just luck of the draw, depends on how thorough the customs guys are on any given day
Royal mail will pick up from customs pay the duty and charge you about £15 for the pleasure. You then have to pick up said item from your local depot and pay the total
Try and get the sender to put "gift" or of no "commercial value" on the customs declaration or a "lower item value" on the declaration, which is stuck to the outside of the package.
HTH

I believe import duty is about 6.7% but then you've got vat 17.5% and a handling charge by the carriers which varies but I've paid between about £6-£25, so if you get collared it could be up to about £140.
Camera duty rate

Useful info

If it is marked as a gift, you pay nothing. :)

Not always and if discovered the sender is open to prosecution which is why reputable dealers in the States won't do it, warranty replacement and trade samples are much better but totally illegal so I must stress not to try either of these, I have had to pay duty on a speed camera detector marked as a gift. There are ways round this as I bought my 1D mkIIN from a private seller in the States who ships a lot of art stuff to the UK, paintings etc and he said he could guarantee no duty but wouldn't tell me how but he was right.

I imported a C/F tripod & head bought for 350USD I got "caught" for about £25 I think.
Other stuff I have bought from the States didn't cost me a penny. Its just luck of the draw, depends on how thorough the customs guys are on any given day
Royal mail will pick up from customs pay the duty and charge you about £15 for the pleasure. You then have to pick up said item from your local depot and pay the total
Try and get the sender to put "gift" or of no "commercial value" on the customs declaration or a "lower item value" on the declaration, which is stuck to the outside of the package.
HTH

If you get the value marked down on the declarations label I was told this could lead to problems if you had to make a claim if the parcel went missing as this information would be passed on to the insurance and they would want to know why you were claiming for a $1000 lens when your parcel was marked as no commercial value. if you bought a lens in the states legitimately and it went wrong there must be some way of sending it back to the states for repair and then back to you without paying duty again.

I was wrong, I couldn't be sure and was gonna check later.
Everything I have had come in from the states lately has been caught at customs.

I bought a philips razor and got away with that, got stung on a pair of Oakley sunglasses and got away with my camera in the last couple of months so it seems very hit and miss.

we always add 22% at work if we have anything coming in, plus carrier charges, that covers it normally.

Does it matter if the item is 2nd hand compared to new?

If it's 2nd hand do i still have to pay VAT?

I just got stung for 26 squid from ups on a $119 item that works out to about 50% the b'stards, flipping customs ppl !
th_chainsaw.gif

The guy says he'll value it at $50... So i guess now it's down to whether i want the risk :)

The guy says he'll value it at $50... So i guess now it's down to whether i want the risk :)

Thats ok but if it gets damaged you will only get $50 in compensation.

As said before its 6.7% tax 17.5% vat, you pay vat on the postage charge too but no tax on the postage charge, and dont forget the brokerage fee approx £6-15 depending on who its shiped with.

And if its underdeclared/misrepresented on the customs label and its found out the person importing it is liable

300 f4 IS. The one for sale is £450. It's £700 from Kerso.

Matt, If its a new one from USA it will be about £550 & 20% taxes. If its new at £450 I would be cautious. Ian.

300 f4 IS. The one for sale is £450. It's £700 from Kerso.

Back