Importing RAW from camera to iPhone/iPad query.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
On holiday I'm wanting to backup my photos to my iPad (using an SD card reader plugged directly into the iPad) but am having an issue. If I shoot RAW and jpeg then the two images aren't separate when imported and I can only access the jpeg to then transfer to my MacBook. This is the case if I try airdrop, using the inbuilt image capture on the Mac, or even emailing the image. It does appear that the RAW is there somewhere because if I import the image into Lightroom Mobile on the iPad then it says that it's imported RAW.

How do I get the jpeg and RAW to show as different images on the iPad so that I can then transfer the RAW from the iPad to my MacBook?

I would manually move the images to the iPad rather than use any sort of import function. I don't use an iPad but this is what I do with my Android tablet.

I would manually move the images to the iPad rather than use any sort of import function. I don't use an iPad but this is what I do with my Android tablet.
Thanks, I"m not sure what you mean by manually importing though? What I do is either connect the camera to the iPad directly via USB (the iPad Pro has a USB-C Connector) or use an SD card reader plugged directly into the iPad. It then opens the import options where you can select the images to import. The trouble is that the RAW and jpegs aren't separated as the files have the same name (barring the file extension) and so import 'as one'. Now I say as one, but as I said in my first post there are obviously two files there (jpeg and RAW) as I can see and transfer the jpeg from the iPad to the Mac, or email the jpeg, but Lightroom on the iPad sees the RAW and not the jpeg.

Hopefully this makes sense?

I’m not sure you can choose, I haven’t found a way yet, normally import all, then as you say, pending on the app, depends what it can see/read

I’m not sure you can choose, I haven’t found a way yet, normally import all, then as you say, pending on the app, depends what it can see/read
It's weird though as the RAW is there as Lightroom on the iPad can see it, but photos on iPad can't and therefore you can't then export it :confused:

Thanks, I"m not sure what you mean by manually importing though?
If I was on my Android tablet, I would close the all of the import options, open the Files app, highlight the files I wanted to move and then drag them across to the new location.

Doesn't appear like you can on ipad. If I shoot RAW only then it will show the RAW (via embedded jpeg) and then I can export the RAW, but if I shoot both you can only see the jpeg. There's no import options to choose specific file extensions or import originals etc :(

it's looking like ipads are not an ideal backup device for RAW files maybe a plan b is required.

it's looking like ipads are not an ideal backup device for RAW files maybe a plan b is required.
They're fine for RAW, just not if you shoot RAW and jpeg :rolleyes: I'm now looking into the camera (EM1-II) to see if I can save the jpeg and RAW as separate file numbers.

Frustrating! It is actually possible to have separate RAW and jpg in Photos because I’ve just tried it but not on import. I took a photo with Camera+2, setting it to save RAW and jpg separately. It does that and you then have both in Photos and can (for example) delete the jpg, leaving the RAW and then move that to Files. The RAW is DNG but I don't think that’s the key as I tried importing a DNG + jpg and it will only go into Photos and appear as one file, as you have already found :(.

Both platforms don’t support raw, I’m pretty sure on that. If you transfer the jpegs and delete the raw that you don’t require would that see you through till the end of holiday? Or buy a couple of sd cards.....

I can process RAW's on my ipad, it is supported, just not well I guess ^^

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps but Apple says
“About RAW files imported to iPad with the Camera Connection KitIf you import RAW images to an iPad with the Camera Connection Kit, turn on Download Originals or edit the images on your Mac so that the files are available on your Mac in iCloud Photos.”
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204977
That’s in iOS Settings under Photos.

Both platforms don’t support raw, I’m pretty sure on that. If you transfer the jpegs and delete the raw that you don’t require would that see you through till the end of holiday? Or buy a couple of sd cards.....
As you’ve since discovered you can import, and even edit RAW on iPads :smashin:
Frustrating! It is actually possible to have separate RAW and jpg in Photos because I’ve just tried it but not on import. I took a photo with Camera+2, setting it to save RAW and jpg separately. It does that and you then have both in Photos and can (for example) delete the jpg, leaving the RAW and then move that to Files. The RAW is DNG but I don't think that’s the key as I tried importing a DNG + jpg and it will only go into Photos and appear as one file, as you have already found :(.
Are you talking photos on Mac or IPad? I don’t see two separate files on the iPad and if I delete the jpeg then it deletes the RAW. I’ll try exporting from the iPad to Photos on the Mac (as opposed to image capture) to see if that sees both files on the iPad
Not sure if this helps but Apple says
“About RAW files imported to iPad with the Camera Connection KitIf you import RAW images to an iPad with the Camera Connection Kit, turn on Download Originals or edit the images on your Mac so that the files are available on your Mac in iCloud Photos.”
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204977
That’s in iOS Settings under Photos.
I have that enabled but it doesn’t separate the files.

As you’ve since discovered you can import, and even edit RAW on iPads :smashin:
Are you talking photos on Mac or IPad? I don’t see two separate files on the iPad and if I delete the jpeg then it deletes the RAW. I’ll try exporting from the iPad to Photos on the Mac (as opposed to image capture) to see if that sees both files on the iPad
I have that enabled but it doesn’t separate the files.
Photos in iPad — but, as I said, I took the photo on the iPad using Camera+2 app that takes DNG+JPG and lets you save them separately back to iPad Photos where they appear as separate file. I know this is not what you are trying to do! I offer it as proof that iPad Photos can display a DNG and JP seperately so there is hope of finding some work around/setting that will achieve that on import from SD card :confused: .

Photos in iPad — but, as I said, I took the photo on the iPad using Camera+2 app that takes DNG+JPG and lets you save them separately back to iPad Photos where they appear as separate file. I know this is not what you are trying to do! I offer it as proof that iPad Photos can display a DNG and JP seperately so there is hope of finding some work around/setting that will achieve that on import from SD card :confused: .
OK thanks. I've just tried exporting the photos from the iPad to Mac using the photos App on the Mac and both file types are there, so that'll work fine for me. Don't know why they make it so difficult to see the RAW but at least I can do what I want (y)

OK thanks. I've just tried exporting the photos from the iPad to Mac using the photos App on the Mac and both file types are there, so that'll work fine for me. Don't know why they make it so difficult to see the RAW but at least I can do what I want (y)
That’s interesting. I’d just decided that the iPad was only importing the jpg of the pair because checking the file size only shows a jpg size but maybe that’s how it works.
Glad you’ve found a solution!

So to confirm, if you export to mac, using the photos app, the mac then separated the jpeg and dng, giving you two files ?

So to confirm, if you export to mac, using the photos app, the mac then separated the jpeg and dng, giving you two files ?
Kind of. When you import into the photos app on Mac you only see one image/thumbnail which shows the jpeg by default, however you’ll see an icon in the top corner showing that there’s stacked images. You can then go up into the options and choose to show the RAW file, and it is RAW and not dng. Also, if you go into the root folder of the photos library you can find both the jpeg and RAW there too. Lastly if you export from the photos app (in Mac) to your desktop, folder etc then it exports both jpeg and RAW.

Good to know, I’ve been shooting just in the file I want to work with, mostly shoot jpeg but change to raw if required, handy to know I shoot both then flip/find on mac if required (y)

Good to know, I’ve been shooting just in the file I want to work with, mostly shoot jpeg but change to raw if required, handy to know I shoot both then flip/find on mac if required (y)
I normally only shoot RAW, however after playing about the other day I have found that on certain shots that the JPEGs end up brighter somehow with the EM1-II files, it’s as though lightroom ‘mutes’ the highlights somehow, and no amount of tweaking highlights, whites, contrast, clarity, camera profiles etc etc can quite get that same look. It’s a bit frustrating as in the whole I prefer the Adobe profile colours to the Olympus ones, but of course you can’t choose these with jpeg, and although I’ve tweaked every colour setting I can find I can’t get Olympus jpeg colours to match the Adobe ones :facepalm:

Back