Improved noise reduction

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just for info really - I have just upgraded to the latest version of DXO Photolab which has an allegedly new and improved noise reduction engine call 'deep prime'. Only usable on raw files but I have done some pixel peeping on the previous version compared to this version and the difference is noticeable >800 ISO. Have to say am very impressed as I have some 1600 ISO files to tweak and enlarge to around 6' for commercial wall mounts. I export to TIFF using the deep prime and a few other tweaks and then finish off in Photoshop. Also did a bit of pixel peeping on various methods of enlarging in Photoshop but did not see much to shout about.

I have no commercial connection to the product, just thought I would share for info as always good to know if 'new upgrades' are worth it and in this case I would say it is if you have an NR requirement.

I agree, this is a feature that made this upgrade worthwhile, it is a very good noise reduction process.

You can buy the RAW converter engine seperately DXO - Pure RAW - I have been using it and then processing the resultant DNGs in Lightroom.
Seems a lot to pay for just that part of the software!

Seems a lot to pay for just that part of the software!

Maybe, I got it on a deal, having tried a few trial images, I'm pretty much welded to LR, but DXO-PureRAW has been a very useful addition - besides working well with my GFX50S, its brought to life images taken on a 10 year old original X100 - the improvement is very noticable.

I'm trialling it just now and the noise reduction is great. Not sure I like the rest but I'm stuck in my ways. I'll wait and see what the price is on Black Friday

I now use DXO Photolab 4 for my initial processing then export to Affinity for final tweaks.
The only thing missing for me is a process to fix distortion, the standalone software for that (which I am trialing) doesn't seem to work that well - it's about the only thing I miss from CS6 after my swap to Mac.

You can buy the RAW converter engine seperately DXO - Pure RAW - I have been using it and then processing the resultant DNGs in Lightroom.

I do exactly the same, works really well and ideal for m/43 photos with their lower noise tolerance.
Took advantage of the introductory offer and really pleased with it.
Would like to see some sharpening control, find it a bit harsh sometimes using the Deep Prime option.
Been using just the Prime and most of the time that makes a very decent job of it.

Last edited:
Just noticed V5 is now out! I have read that the NR process has been speeded up, just wondered if anyone has done a comparison? As I mentioned in my original post, the Deep Prime is superb but it does take time to process files from my Nikon 810, around 4 mins on my I7 with 8gb RAM.......
Any feedback welcome (other than get more RAM and upgrade processor!!!).

Just noticed V5 is now out! I have read that the NR process has been speeded up, just wondered if anyone has done a comparison? As I mentioned in my original post, the Deep Prime is superb but it does take time to process files from my Nikon 810, around 4 mins on my I7 with 8gb RAM.......
Any feedback welcome (other than get more RAM and upgrade processor!!!).
Can't comment on PL5 as I see no need to pay more than I have already to DXO, however 4 mins seems extraordinary ... I use a 2013 i5 iMac with 8gb and Deep Prime takes seconds.

The claimed large speed increase only relates to Mac systems. With Windoze you only get about a 50% increase in speed. It’s in the small print notes somewhere on the web site.

On my (reasonably) fast Windows PC I’m not really noticing any difference in speed.

Back