Inconsiderate Parking

Mike Jackson

Billy Brownnose
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I drove round to the driveway to load some gear into the land rover to find the entrance blocked by a Veolia waste lorry. I was not happy having to lug everything out to the road. Not only was the vehicle blocking the driveway (which leads to 6 garages) it was also partially obscuring a disabled parking bay.

Needless to say the local authority will be hearing from me tomorrow complete with pictures.

All critique welcome :LOL:

the second and last one, has a wonky horizon :LOL:

good luck with getting the council to listen, all bets say they won't

I live opposite a church and time after time they block my drive, despite the solid white line on the road showing its an entrance along with the dropped kerb

Not a very christian way to behave

i have to occasionaly park my lorry, and block drives, to unload.
but i am very carefull not to do it, and leave the vehicle.
i am never more than a few yards away, when blocking someones access.
if the driver has done this, and wandered off, he needs his ass kicking.

is that a parking ticket on his windscreen?

It's a note I left on the windscreen. I first saw the vehicle at 16.45 and it was still there at 17.30 when we went out with no sign of a driver. My initial thought was that someone was collecting some rubbish from the rear of the properties but there was no one about. I've a feeling that it was a social call. If the driver isn't authorised to use the vehicle out of hours he's just dropped himself right in it.

There are times when the road is packed and there's nowhere to park when the neighbours will park down by the garages and leave a note in case they are in the way.

I live opposite a church and time after time they block my drive, despite the solid white line on the road showing its an entrance along with the dropped kerb

I'd have a pointed word with the vicar/priest/preacher/minister...I attended a church where he'd send *** out to move their vehicles and they didn't do it again ;)

Whilst i know its annoying the problem is when there are no cars on teh drive then anyone can park infront of your house and there's not a thing you can do about it, not that it happens much because of the consequences, but it has happened, if you have a car on the drive then you can tell them to sod off.

(please bare in mind that, that statement bares no relation to my personal feeling regarding people parking infront of drive ways, as my way of dealing with it would not be a very nice one, :D )

Whilst i know its annoying the problem is when there are no cars on teh drive then anyone can park infront of your house and there's not a thing you can do about it, not that it happens much because of the consequences, but it has happened, if you have a car on the drive then you can tell them to sod off.

(please bare in mind that, that statement bares no relation to my personal feeling regarding people parking infront of drive ways, as my way of dealing with it would not be a very nice one, :D )

Not Quite ...

If the kerb falls away (i.e. most drives) then parking there is illegal ....

Its actually a lane that leads to the back of my house, wouldn't be able to see if there was a car or not

Just so inconsiderate that they are alright and don't give a damn if it inconviences somebody else

Been told such things as but its raining, I won't be long, where else can i park and my favourite I didn't know it was a driveway

Think I am also right in saying it is illegal to park within 10 feet of a junction unless in a designated bay?

Sooo many people ignore that one and make using the junction a lot more dangerous than it ought to be.

I have no time for people that block disabled bays...

our street, and the street ours is adjoined to are awful for idiot parking, there was a fire in a house down the street and one entire corner of the house was destroyed because the fire engine couldnt get past the parked cars, the residents STILL havent learnt that their useless parking could have dire consequences, i dread to think what would have happened if someone had been trapped in that room :( stupid thing is the person who's house it is also parks in ridiculous places! half of them have driveways they dont use!:bonk: i'd LOVE to have a driveway and they are letting theirs go to waste!

Sorry Splog but you are wrong.

It is illegal to park across a driveway if there is something parked on it and you are blocking (dropped kerb or not) but its IS NOT illegal if there is nothing parked there at the time you park and block an empty space.

I looked out of my lounge window once to see this guy parking his car on my driveway!

I went outside and caught him just as he was about to walk off and asked him what he was playing at, he said he was off down the road to some fête and was just parking up because there was no space nearer! I pointed out that my drive was not a public car park and was in fact private property and should he walk off his car would not be here when he returned.

Another thing that annoys me is that people seem to think they have the right to use our drive to turn around in!

park in front of my drive - I walk up the road and borrow a tractor - my drive is clear and you get to play where the **** is my car followed by why does my car have fork holes in it :p

It is illegal to park across a driveway if there is something parked on it and you are blocking (dropped kerb or not) but its IS NOT illegal if there is nothing parked there at the time you park and block an empty space.

This is correct. If you're stopping somebody driving off their property you can get towed. If you're stopping somebody driving on - can't touch you.

Another point. Just down my road there's a disabled parking bay. The allocated user got in to a squabble with a neighbour who in retaliation found out that he could park in the said disabled bay and the council/police can do sod all. The reason being, there is no dedicated signpost stating the fact that it's a disabled only bay. There are just road markings, and as such anybody can legally park there. And as nobody else in the vicinity has the morals of a sewer rat, the neighbour gets to park there almost 100% of the time.

This is correct. If you're stopping somebody driving off their property you can get towed. If you're stopping somebody driving on - can't touch you.

Another point. Just down my road there's a disabled parking bay. The allocated user got in to a squabble with a neighbour who in retaliation found out that he could park in the said disabled bay and the council/police can do sod all. The reason being, there is no dedicated signpost stating the fact that it's a disabled only bay. There are just road markings, and as such anybody can legally park there. And as nobody else in the vicinity has the morals of a sewer rat, the neighbour gets to park there almost 100% of the time.

then why doesnt said disabled driver report to the council that there is no sign that is required to stop said idiot neighbour using the space without facing consequences?

Apart from in London where it is an offence to park accross a dropped kerb even if there is nothing on the drive.

then why doesnt said disabled driver report to the council that there is no sign that is required to stop said idiot neighbour using the space without facing consequences?

And you think this hasn't already been done, looked in to and answered? There's a difference between a public disabled bay with a signpost that gives it a legal standing as in shopping areas etc, and the bays painted on the road outside Average Disabled Resident Joe's house without the signpost. Cost.

There are five of these within 100 yards of my house alone. How many across the town?? No council is going to go to the expense of legalising them with a signpost.

A disabled driver received a parking ticket outside my place of work one day. I came out for a smoke and saw him ranting and raving at anyone who would listen. Unfortunately he had parked right across the Disabled dropped kerb entrance!!! Nobody with a wheel chair would have been able to gain access. Pure ignorance but at least this went punished.

Steve

Parking spaces are getting scarce on my road. The council keep allowing more and more dropped kerbs for driveways, we have a small cap park on our side road which usually has at least 4 large vans parked in it. One of the van's, sometimes a flatbed truck is actually owned by the council and can be parked there for days. (One day, I'll get around to phoning up the council to find out why we get lumbered with it). Then there is the lazy woman who has to park her car, space allowing, right opposite her front door, usually taking up two spaces so no-one else gets to park there. When I'm on early shift, I find a space easy, get home from late shift, and I've no hope.

Apart from in London where it is an offence to park accross a dropped kerb even if there is nothing on the drive.

It is now an offence even outside of London. It was introduced in 2009 as a Code 27 of the traffic management 2004. It happened at the same time the legislation changed to make it an offence to park more than 50cm from the kerb (code 26) .....

It is now an offence even outside of London. It was introduced in 2009 as a Code 27 of the traffic management 2004. It happened at the same time the legislation changed to make it an offence to park more than 50cm from the kerb (code 26) .....

If that's the case then thanks for the education.

I wonder what happened to the law that states you are not allowed to park within X feet of a junction [day and/or night?]? Or at night your car has to be parked on the side of the road in the direction of normal traffic flow. Or if you're parked on a road at night with a speed limit above 30mph you have to have parking lights on. Either it has all changed and gone un-announced, or the modern day police are untrained and ignorant or don't care anymore.

From what I read about the X feet of a junction - it's not actually legislation but it is mentioned in the highway code that you should not park within 33ft (I think) of a junction.

And you think this hasn't already been done, looked in to and answered? There's a difference between a public disabled bay with a signpost that gives it a legal standing as in shopping areas etc, and the bays painted on the road outside Average Disabled Resident Joe's house without the signpost. Cost.

There are five of these within 100 yards of my house alone. How many across the town?? No council is going to go to the expense of legalising them with a signpost.

You hadnt mentioned that any of that had already been done. A sign of that size would cost around £50 (I know for certain that street name signs are £200 from our local council, so as the sign needed for the parking bay you mention is much smaller £50 is a educated guess) If the disabled person is financially able to pay the cost of the sign then there is no reason why the council would refuse, if however they cannot afford it then I can't suggest anything else.

i once had someone park across my drive and wander into town to do there shopping.
when they got back, it was fifty yards down the road.
i had a landrover, and a tow chain at the time.

I did a similar thing. I came out of my house to go to work one evening and found a car parked on my property, on my drive, and blocking me in. I knocked on a couple of neighbours doors but they knew nothing about it. The car was unlocked, so I pushed it out and left it across the road with the door wide open. It's a cul de sac so not a lot of through traffic, and room to drive round it. I never did find out whose it was.

i once had someone park across my drive and wander into town to do there shopping.
when they got back, it was fifty yards down the road.
i had a landrover, and a tow chain at the time.

Good call.

My solution to someone doing this was to park so close to their vehicle that they couldn't get out without first coming to ask me to move my car.

Last place I lived I had loads of people pulling onto my drive to turn around. Followed one onto the street once and he pulled right onto my drive. I just parked across the end of the drive, locked my car and started walking to my house... :D

Should have popped the bonnet and taken his HT leads :D

Not Quite ...

If the kerb falls away (i.e. most drives) then parking there is illegal ....

Care to come up with the chapter and verse on this? I've scanned Hughes Guide to Motoring Law and can't find it.

Rule 243 of the Highway Code says not to stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and not to stop or park in front of entrances to properties but doesn't qualify this with any legal basis. The Highway Code is NOT a legal document BTW.

Sorry, but one of my pet hates are urban myths relating to motoring law .. no offense to you personally :)

Care to come up with the chapter and verse on this? I've scanned Hughes Guide to Motoring Law and can't find it.

Rule 243 of the Highway Code says not to stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and not to stop or park in front of entrances to properties but doesn't qualify this with any legal basis. The Highway Code is NOT a legal document BTW.

Sorry, but one of my pet hates are urban myths relating to motoring law .. no offense to you personally :)

No offence taken .... As I said in post 25..ish

It is now an offence even outside of London. It was introduced in June 2009 as a Code 27 of the traffic management act 2004. It happened at the same time the legislation changed to make it an offence to park more than 50cm from the kerb (code 26) .....

A quite clever ruling by stealth .... If local areas choose to enforce it .... they can! ... Try Google!

I am fairly certain the law has changed on parking in disabled bays. Unless the bay has double yellow lines in it then it is only advisory that you do not park in it not law! Not agreeing with it, just letting people know.

No offence taken .... As I said in post 25..ish

It is now an offence even outside of London. It was introduced in June 2009 as a Code 27 of the traffic management act 2004. It happened at the same time the legislation changed to make it an offence to park more than 50cm from the kerb (code 26) .....

A quite clever ruling by stealth .... If local areas choose to enforce it .... they can! ... Try Google!

Not entirely correct, code 26 and code 27 are not from the TMA 2004, they are the contravention codes for PCNs issued by virtue of the TMA 2004, as agreed by the Joint Committee of London Councils and adopted by all Councils outside London with civil enforcement powers.

Double parking (parking more than 50 cm from the kerb) is a contravention by virtue of s.85 TMA 2004.

Parking adjacent to a dropped footway is a contravention by virtue of s.86 TMA 2004.

Both contraventions have exemptions for loading/unloading and boarding/alighting of passengers amongst other things.

Due to the exemption provided by s.86(3) TMA 2004, dropped footways that serve a single residential premisses are only enforced if a complaint is received by the resident for obvious reasons.

I am fairly certain the law has changed on parking in disabled bays. Unless the bay has double yellow lines in it then it is only advisory that you do not park in it not law! Not agreeing with it, just letting people know.

This is not true it is a contravention to park in a disabled bay without displaying a blue badge, if the bay is properly signed and marked on the road and the Council have a legally enacted Traffic Management Order in place.

However disabled bays in privately controlled car parks have to legal basis.

David Hi,

Some point last year there was an item on the radio that clarified this, they were saying the rules had changed and I am wondering if it were at the same time the rules were changed about dropped kerbs. What was said was that there are two types of disabled bays, one with and one without double yellows. To park in a bay with double yellows you MUST display a blue badge but those without double yellows are advisory - bays usually found outside of peoples homes - as they are advisory anyone can park in them even without a badge. Clearly you have an understanding of traffic law which I do not so would be interested in your thoughts, I bow to better knowledge!

I think this might clarify the situation a little

The majority of Disabled Parking Bays which are placed outside a disabled person's house are not supported by a Traffic Regulation Order and have been placed by the local authority as a result of a request by the disabled person. The specific offence of parking within a disabled bay, without a disabled badge, requires a TRO to be in place. Other offences, such as obstruction, may be considered if appropriate.

Disabled Bays which are supported by a TRO will also have appropriate signs on posts and can be dealt with by way of Fixed Penalty tickets.

This is from Avon and Somerset Police website.

There is an however.

Look at the first picture of the lorry, on the post behind it ..... therefore to park there he needed a blue badge.

Back