Increase the appearance of 'God rays'?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
These are two separate photo's taken last week but I deliberately kept increasing the underexposure to emphasise the dusk sun coming through the clouds.
#1 is the lighter and #2 more of a silhouette, but in neither, with my feeble photoshop knowledge can I emphasise the light rays coming through the clouds. :bang:

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I can make full jpegs/nefs available if need be :)

DSC_1608.jpg

DSC_1610.jpg

Thanks
Joe

Dodge and burn. Various ways to go about this but you essentially paint the rays brighter/paint the surrounding areas darker.

Dodge and burn. Various ways to go about this but you essentially paint the rays brighter/paint the surrounding areas darker.

Thanks Nick, I gave that a go with very poor results just wondering if there was a less skillful way of doing it :shrug:

joe

Fortuneately your lansdscape is a all a blue colour and strangely similar.

this works in your favour, I would up the brightness, saturation, luminance of the entire picture

THEN

return the lanscape back to the original by desaturating, and reducing the luminence on the blue spectrum

I dont know what package you are using, but on the mac this can be done in apertue3 using the colours tool to easily change a range of colour saturation, luminence, range and hue

This will leave your god rays bright and the island iluminated but the dark blue sea and clouds untouched

Fortuneately your lansdscape is a all a blue colour and strangely similar.

this works in your favour, I would up the brightness, saturation, luminance of the entire picture

THEN

return the lanscape back to the original by desaturating, and reducing the luminence on the blue spectrum

I dont know what package you are using, but on the mac this can be done in apertue3 using the colours tool to easily change a range of colour saturation, luminence, range and hue

This will leave your god rays bright and the island iluminated but the dark blue sea and clouds untouched

I'm using elements 9 on mac but I think I get your drift.
Ta

Joe

Back