Indian Summer in the Lakes

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Its been a cracking week for calm water in the Lakes, so I have tried to make the most of it, with a few trips over the pennines to Cumbria

1) The Wast Water Screes - Two shot pano
21850957472_5106ef54c2_h.jpg

2) Grasmere Jetty, just waiting for those Autumn colours to start
21269566994_b8f81b88ce_h.jpg

3) Clearing Mist at Loughrigg Tarn
21675554698_e9dc8ff045_h.jpg

4) Last Light at Wast Water
21881732611_e3b59be15f_h.jpg

5) The weekend started with this treat at Latrigg
21719641980_ab7aa016d2_h.jpg

C&C Welcomed

Wonder planet Earth… beautiful!

Super set Matty, wonderful shots in a wonderful place. We are having a film meet there next weekend, hopefully we will get conditions like this.

Andy

All of them are great, I would say 2 and 5 are my personal favourites.

Perhaps 5 to be the absolute best if that chap got out of the way ;-)

#2 feels like I could walk right into that. My absolute favourite from an excellent set. The only slight niggle I have is the two right posts that interfere with the reflection.

Absolutely cracking set.
The last would be a tad better without the model :LOL:

I have to disagree with the rave comments about no2. I would have loved it without the jetty but the jetty just looks so out of place. Added to that the two right hand uprights break the reflected skyline, which for me is a no-no. and just to be really picky if you had used a one-stop ND grad on the non-reflected part of the landscape, it would have balanced the exposures. In my opinion, this was a missed opportunity.

But apart from that.....very nice!

If that was you, Matty, in No 5, I can imagine how you were feeling. It looks like an amazing morning.

A stunning set of shots and stunning landscape and with that opening treat at Latrigg, what else could you ask for...:)

Wonder planet Earth… beautiful!

Thank you very much buddy, I felt privileged to be able to see these views with my own eyes

Super set Matty, wonderful shots in a wonderful place. We are having a film meet there next weekend, hopefully we will get conditions like this.

Andy

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Andy, its always hit and miss with regard to conditions in the Lakes, so you gotta take the chances that are offered to you. Thanks for your positive comments

Wow that's what it's all about can't even pick a favourite all too draw, thanks for sharing

Thank you Kevin, I hope to make a trip down your neck of the woods before the year is through to try my hand at some Snowdonia Landscapes!!

All of them are great, I would say 2 and 5 are my personal favourites.

Perhaps 5 to be the absolute best if that chap got out of the way ;-)

Thanks Stu, glad I was able to do the locations justice. I think 5 is the best BECAUSE I'm in it haha

#2 feels like I could walk right into that. My absolute favourite from an excellent set. The only slight niggle I have is the two right posts that interfere with the reflection.

Thank you very much indeed. I will post an alternate version of the second shot where the reflection isn't broken. It was at the absolute extent of my tripod height to avoid it, and it only misses by a couple of mm

All simply steller

Thank you buddy, high praise indeed from a reflection maestro like yourself!!

Two is jaw-droppingly good

Thank you very much Ian, Grasmere will only get better over the next couple of weeks when the leaves start to turn.

All cock on for me, but number 2 is sublime

Robin

Much appreciated Robin, its a real pain to get to that jetty, but worthwhile when the reflections are calm!

Very good set but agree no2 is a bit special

Thanks very much, Glad that the Grasmere shot is so well received!

Cracking set Matt ,it's great when it all comes together

Thank you Dave, the lakes are sublime when the conditions are right, though I would have killed for some high cloud to add interest to the sunrise shots!!

Absolutely cracking set.
The last would be a tad better without the model :LOL:

Thanks very much Ruth - I have a couple of versions without the 'model' but I quite liked the sense of scale with myself in frame. I did have another version though - just in case haha

Wonderfull set. Difficult to pick a favourite they're all so good.
Off to the Lakes next week, hoping for those conditions but I think the weather is returning to normal :(

Thank you very much indeed Roger, I hope you are blessed with some good conditions. I don't think it will offer the same conditions next week, but the beauty of the Lake District is that they are so photogenic, whatever the weather!!

I have to disagree with the rave comments about no2. I would have loved it without the jetty but the jetty just looks so out of place. Added to that the two right hand uprights break the reflected skyline, which for me is a no-no. and just to be really picky if you had used a one-stop ND grad on the non-reflected part of the landscape, it would have balanced the exposures. In my opinion, this was a missed opportunity.

But apart from that.....very nice!

If that was you, Matty, in No 5, I can imagine how you were feeling. It looks like an amazing morning.

Cheers for the C&C Jeremy, much appreciated. I've got a number of shots from the Grasmere location, some with the jetty and some without. I am quite partial to the inclusion of the jetty, but I understand your comments. I will post a non-broken reflection below for comparison, its shot a little wider, so the impact of the trees is lessened.
I hate broken reflections too, but it was very difficult to compose a shot without, but i'd be interested to hear if you think the next shot is an improvement.
Unfortunately I don't have grad filters, and this is just a single raw file processed. Certainly I agree that a sky grad would improve the image, but I'll have to wait until I can afford to invest in a filter system for the time being. You're dead right though!!

Lovely set of shots, i like them all, well done.

Thank you very much for your feedback John, pleased that you like the set!!

A stunning set of shots and stunning landscape and with that opening treat at Latrigg, what else could you ask for...:)

Thank you Andy, the past week has made me appreciate the lake district all the more. Topped off with a very special treat at Latrigg. I am very fortunate to have got such good conditions!!

Just!

I still think the background would make a better image; I particularly like the way the island (if it is one) stands out so prominently against the fog and the far side of the lake.

Thanks Jeremy, I'm determined to get a tick from you on this shot, so I will post a pano which I think will represent the scene in the way that you'll appreciate! Here's hoping anyway!!
I'll stitch it this evening and throw it up later on if I get chance! Thanks again for the feedback though! Appreciate your comments

Superb set of images..especially number 2!

Thank you very much Paul. Appreciate you taking the time to view and comment!

Last one for me, even with the Jesus impersonation. The conditions looked perfect that morning, the rest I'd prefer a bit more cloud cover and less blue sky but you can't pick and choose the weather! The edited Grasmere shot is rather nice, looking forward to heading up when the colours turn

Last edited:
nice set of photos there!

Thank you very much. Conditions were pretty good all the week, so it was great to get out and enjoy the landscapes

Last one for me, even with the Jesus impersonation. The conditions looked perfect that morning, the rest I'd prefer a bit more cloud cover and less blue sky but you can't pick and choose the weather! The edited Grasmere shot is rather nice, looking forward to heading up when the colours turn

Thank you, A touch more cloud would have been welcomed to break the skies up all week, but Im not going to complain at still lakes for reflections. The colours should be on the change now I hope, so Im looking forward to making a few more trips that way very soon! Cheers for the feedback

Back