Wild Indonesian Wildlife - more images!

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
Just got back from my annual tour to Asia. We were very lucky this trip with our encounters but the weather was unusually wet compared to previous years. I can't say for sure if this was due to climate change but I have never experienced so much rain in the three weeks I was there (two in Indonesia and one week in Malaysia).

Essentially we set out to photograph three key species: the critically endangered Bornean Orang-utan and Black Crested Macaque, as well as the vulnerable Komodo Dragon.

We spent a few days following two groups, in the forest of northern Sulawesi, photographing the very charismatic Black Crested Macaques. Very hot and sticky but lots of fun. This young male ventured out to the black volcanic beach momentarily. The turquoise sea provided a vibrant background while showing off his Mohican hairstyle perfectly.

crested.jpg

The Komodo Dragon is the largest species of lizard in the world. This male is about 13-15 years of age and weighs about 60kg. At a guess I'd say he's about 8 to 9 feet in length.

dragon.jpg

A Bornean Orang-utan perfectly balanced on two precisely chosen branches to overcome a small body of water below. A simple yet essential lifeskill for living in the rainforest.

orangutan.jpg

As is always the case while working in the tropics, you're never short of subjects to photograph. This is a Flying Fox, a large fruit bat that lives in mangrove area. This one was stirring late afternoon getting ready to head out to the nearby islands to feed.

flyingfox.jpg

This is arguably the most striking Viper that I've photographed. The turquoise colour is entirely natural. I first saw a photo of this Blue Tree Viper some two years ago, sent to me by a local guide I worked with. It took a few hours of searching but we were all blown away when the guide finally located one during our night walk.

blueviper.jpg

All cool takes but mostly impressed by 1, 4, & 5.

May I ask where you spent time in Borneo? I will be travelling in October and although part of the trip is 'organised' I am able to request changes to the itinerary to a point so would love to have an idea of where the best places could be to experience the best photography experiences? Appreciate any advice.

May I ask where you spent time in Borneo? I will be travelling in October and although part of the trip is 'organised' I am able to request changes to the itinerary to a point so would love to have an idea of where the best places could be to experience the best photography experiences? Appreciate any advice.

Borneo is over three times the size of Britain and is the world's third largest island. It is not so easy to hop from one place to another without very careful and dedicated planning. Which part of Borneo are you visiting? How much time do you have? What is your budget? Have you spoken to your current operator? - They should be able to help you out.

The other thing to bare in mind is that most wildlife-watching tours are not usually conducive to good photography, unlike a dedicated photo tour. The differences are many: large group size; most just want to watch for a few minutes and move on; little thought is put on light (e.g. time of day); suitable/good perspective/angle etc. etc. Much will also depend on the guide you're assigned to on the day. To give a specific example, while scouting for wildlife on the river, the boats we use meant for 12 'tourists', but we only place 3 (max.4) person, so that we have ample room for tripod and movement. We also sometime use a secondary battery operated propellor to creep up on wildlife as this is silence, compared to a diesel motor. We will manoeuvre the boat so get the best possible view for light and subject and can spend as much time as necessary before moving on.

I guess what I'm saying is speak to your operator and ask if this was possible. They should also be able to advise you what and where are best for the wildlife you want to see. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Borneo is over three times the size of Britain and is the world's third largest island. It is not so easy to hop from one place to another without very careful and dedicated planning. Which part of Borneo are you visiting? How much time do you have? What is your budget? Have you spoken to your current operator? - They should be able to help you out.

The other thing to bare in mind is that most wildlife-watching tours are not usually conducive to good photography, unlike a dedicated photo tour. The differences are many: large group size; most just want to watch for a few minutes and move on; little thought is put on light (e.g. time of day); suitable/good perspective/angle etc. etc. Much will also depend on the guide you're assigned to on the day. To give a specific example, while scouting for wildlife on the river, the boats we use meant for 12 'tourists', but we only place 3 (max.4) person, so that we have ample room for tripod and movement. We also sometime use a secondary battery operated propellor to creep up on wildlife as this is silence, compared to a diesel motor. We will manoeuvre the boat so get the best possible view for light and subject and can spend as much time as necessary before moving on.

I guess what I'm saying is speak to your operator and ask if this was possible. They should also be able to advise you what and where are best for the wildlife you want to see. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Totally understood and not for a minute suggesting this is a 'pro' photography trip, we are actually on a private tour ie just us and a guide and hence the degree of flexibility we are able to have when moving around, we are based in and around sSPAM so NW of Borneo and have around 5 hours of driving time in all directions from our base so will include the national parks and some more out of the way river locations already.

Appreciate your thoughts nonetheless.

If wildlife is what you're after, then you should consider Sabah. SSPAM is cheaper but the infrastructure is not as developed. Also, you have to work much harder to get the same number of species as Sabah. I assume you're referring to Batang Ai as your out of the way river location? It's great for scenery and experience, but the wildlife there is very scarce. Certainly when it comes of mammals and larger reptiles, as they've been heavily hunted. Reasonable number of amphibians but it's a long way out just for that. If this is your one an only trip to visit Borneo, consider heading to Sabah - it can be busy still in October, but you'll see more.

FYI, the above images were from Indonesian Borneo i.e. south, but I have been to most of the island except for the deep interior.

Yes it is Batang Ai but we were looking to break our journeys up but if you say it won't make a lot of difference then may not bother, as I said it's not a photography trip and not sure my wife will be too pleased with a complete shift of location but will see what happens! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Yes it is Batang Ai but we were looking to break our journeys up but if you say it won't make a lot of difference then may not bother, as I said it's not a photography trip and not sure my wife will be too pleased with a complete shift of location but will see what happens! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Consider going to Bako while you're in SSPAM, as it's good for Proboscis & Leaf Monkeys. The boat ride can be choppy and you may need to land in water. Be aware that October can be very wet - it can rain for days...

This young male came very close to our 'house-boat' while we're moored by the side of the river. Image is un-cropped at 150mm on a full-frame body.

_DSC2957.jpg

Another one...

These are Spectral Tarsiers, a small insect-eating primate. You can read up about the journey here (a little trip report I wrote).

tarsier.jpg

And finally, a young baby Orang-utan.

infant.jpg

Back