Indoor portrait photography

After hiring the canon 17-55mm lens I was really impressed with the focusing speed and the quietness compared with my tamron. I got some really good photos. I didn't realise quite how good it was until I put my Tamron back on so I took the plunge and I bought it along with the canon 50mm 1.4. I've not had much chance to experiment with that yet but on first impressions I think I've made the right choice.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

You certainly have a couple of lovely lenses there ! look forward to seeing some pictures!

Finances permitting, the only std zoom I would buy for a Canon crop is the 17-55. If I didn't have the money for that it's be the Tamron equivalent.

Have to agree here. Unless I'm using a 70-200 or longer, the 15-55 f2.8 is hardly ever off of my 7D, I find it useful for so many things and it's as close to an "L" lens you'll get without having a red ring on it...

1.8, if you have a few quid spare get an 85mm 1.8.[/QUOTE]

I have never tried the 85mm but from what everyone says about it, it's a great lens. The one thing I did not realize until just now is that it's a 1.8 lens. Wow that's probably a big factor. Learn something new every day..

Hi I'm am now confused I would like to get a prime lens but not sure what to get I would like to do portraits of baby and child and also practice on a dog lol but it will be indoors can anybody help me.....

Hi I'm am now confused I would like to get a prime lens but not sure what to get I would like to do portraits of baby and child and also practice on a dog lol but it will be indoors can anybody help me.....

Kaz, love to help but we need more info. E.g. what camera and lenses do you have now?

J

Kaz, love to help but we need more info. E.g. what camera and lenses do you have now?

J

Ok sorry I have the canon 60D also have the EFS 17-85mm lens also have got
Canon marco lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 L is USM and the EFS 55-250mm.

Regards
Karen.

Now you've gone and confused me again!! Just when I was weighing up the Tamron, Sigma and nifty 50 option ...... If only I had more money to spend. It's hard to justify the amount of money when photography is only a hobby.

Here goes with my 2p worth.

If you want to do indoor portraits then getting the light sorted is much more important than buying new lenses. You've got two choices:

1. Use window light and a reflector. I.e. get the subject very close to a window (patio doors are great) and use the reflector to fill in light on the opposite side to the window. That will cost £5 for a reflector.

2. Get a flashgun, a stand, a softbox or brolly and a set of radio triggers. The yongnuo ones work fine and are pretty cheap. That will cost about £100. A reflector is still really useful.

Personally I would get the flashgun.

The lens you have got will be fine for this. In fact almost any lens will be fine. But I would buy a 50mm f/1.8 anyway because they are so cheap and open up a world of photo possibilities.

This is a brilliant site which show how to do flash photography without spending a fortune.
http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Have fun.

Back