Infinity Bridge, Stockton-on-Tees (Added Night Time Version)

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
i really like it, good colours but that post in the foregroung is a pain! Is it lit up at night as well?

The bridge looks surreal with the light on it, the sky behind is very atmospheric. Good shot.

The only niggle is the plastic light at the front that is making me look at it and not the bridge.

Like this Lee, great composition, I think the front light is a tiny distraction, but probably could be made a tad cleaner (without cloning) by moving slightly to the left so that it doesn't clip the path, which is a great lead-in. Final point :) The bank of the river looks a bit wavey to me?
Overall, a great shot, great light, class exposure, careful comp. Thumbs Up!

Thanks for the comments so far, I'll post a more detailed reply when I'm home later tonite. I put a LOT of thought into the composition of this one to produce what I felt was the best possible for the location, so I'm keen to know where it falls down so that I can improve further.

good colours but that post in the foreground is a pain! Is it lit up at night as well?

It is lit up at night... and it was that shot that I was setting up for. I've included it above in the opening post now. :p

The only niggle is the plastic light at the front that is making me look at it and not the bridge.

I have to confess, I don't have that much issue with it, but I do take Neil's point below... it's a bit clumsy having it cutting the edge of the path.

great composition

Thanks Neil... I was especially careful to not only include the lead in with the path (which would be lit later - see above shot), but also make sure the buildings were under the bridge and not clipped. In the far distance on the left you can see Roseberry Topping (local landmark - I've highlighted it on the Flickr shot).

The bank of the river looks a bit wavey to me?

I'm not too sure what you mean by this? I've done no pp on the bank at all other than the universal levels, contrast, etc...

Would welcome thoughts/comparison on the 'night time' version which I took later in the evening (now added to post #1).

Lee - You can tell you thought about the comp, it really works. Much prefer the dusk version to the night-time, although the grass illumination by that front light is lovely.

As for the wavey bank comment, if you look at the bridge support on the far right hand side and follow the line of the opposite bank it looks like the bank dips down and then raises up at the far side, by the other bridge support.

Lens distortion maybe, Is it the 17-40 being pushed to the absolute limits? Or just my eyesight failing!

is it the 17-40 being pushed to the absolute limits?

Many thanks for the extra comments Neil, this is just the sort of feedback I need to push forward. I have to confess that I thought it just looked like the bank was that shape, however now that you've pointed it out to me (and I know what I did to the image), it is bugging me.

I'll let you into a secret...

Because I was using the 17-40 and needed to get low so that the buildings weren't hidden behind the bridge, the lamp in the foreground wasn't vertical. I was unsure the best way to correct it... using the lens correction tool in CS4 I applied vertical perspective, but this left me with empty areas and would have meant cropping and losing some 'vital to me' bits of the composition. Then I discovered that the pinch tool corrected it (the one that makes it look like a fisheye), though it did accentuate the foreground arch of the bridge and distort the bank.

I'll have a look and see if I can reprocess it.

Any suggestions on the best method to use? I do have CS5 on the MBP which I believe has an option to apply lens correction specifically for certain lenses?

Hi Lee, apologies for not responding to your questions! Just seen your response.

Did you have another crack on re-processing the image? By the sound of what you did in PP it would certainly effect the bank.

I dont have any real alternatives to those you have suggested, have you used the "Free Transform" tool, even with this approach you'd probably still have to crop.
Final suggestion would be a 2/3 shot pano, much more PP needed to bring this together on the MBP but some great software to help, obviously PS, but also PTGUI. Using a vertical pano, would give you much more space top and bottom to crop, if needed.
Not sure this is an ideal solution, but possibly worth a go.

Cheers for the suggestions Neil. I've been looking at CS5 which has automatic lens correction, and also DxO Optics, but neither work on my desktop (G5 Mac) so I'd need to process on the MBP which isn't ideal from a colour point of view. I've also managed to **** the colour on this monitor and Huey won't seem to sort it, so all in all I've not had much luck with anything in the last 5 days.

I will be reprocessing though, and if I can't seem to get it straight I'll reshoot. Never attempted a pano, so might be a good time to try :)

LOL - No! It has a pano stitcher as part of the package, or at least the version that I have does! Makes basic stitching very very easy.

Ah... might be worth diggin out a manual then :)

The night time one is good as the bridge is well lit. However that awful light post is even more obvious, the light coming from it is really nice though. Can't have everything suppose.

I'd be tempted to put some coat/material over the top of it to muffle the light down and make it less distracting.

Grand pair Lee, particularly like how you have used the path as a lead on both, also retaining sky detail in the second.

Like Alison's idea of 'muffling' the FG light, although sit's comfortably in the first.

I have no issues at all with either image, Lee. I very much like the composition that takes advantage of two opposing arcs and the dawn to daylight comparison is interesting.

Back