Infinity mirror effect

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hello the world of TP :snaphappy: :)

I want to take a single image but have it going onto infinity (like the photo below).

I have tried setting mirrors up at all different angles but just can not work it out.

Whether it's a single candle or a figure how do I get kind of affect with the mirrors?

The mirrors must be parallel, and the camera must be between them. It requires excellent quality mirrors to get more than around twenty reflections.

First surface mirrors will cut out ghosting (caused by lower grade reflections of the glass). Maybe a camera with movements to get into the right position without needing to get into the frame? (Not sure about this, just thinking out loud!)

I put 2 mirrors parallel but do not get the infinity effect with one object. I was looking at the mirrors at all angles but just can not get it.

First surface mirrors will cut out ghosting (caused by lower grade reflections of the glass). Maybe a camera with movements to get into the right position without needing to get into the frame? (Not sure about this, just thinking out loud!)

Sorry Nod. Not with you (but that doesn't take much :)

First surface mirrors have the silvered side on the front of the glass rather than behind so reflect only off the silver and not from the front of the glass. SLR mirrors are like this which is why they're relatively easy to damage.

Cameras with movements allow the axis of the light path to be altered while keeping the recording medium in the same plane. Have a Google for tilt and shift lenses too.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you if a movement/T/S lens will do the job!

You may be using mirrors that are too small. To see the effect with your eye you must be between the mirrors, where you will see yourself receding to infinity when it's all positioned right. You can't see anything else receding if you can't see yourself receding. That's why you can't "cheat" with a shift lens.Your camera is smaller so you could use smaller mirrors if it has a tiltable live view you can see from outside the two mirrors.

You could cheat with a third mirror, but there's no point in going into that until you've understood the two mirror effect, when it should become obvious.

Thanks Nod and Chris for the help.

If I put 2 mirrors facing each other and peak over the top I can see the infinity effect. I 'might' drill a small hole in one and I could photoshop it out after :)

Two way mirror on one side to shoot through, standard mirror on the other ?

Two way mirror on one side to shoot through, standard mirror on the other ?

Just had a quick look, £28.26 delivered for A3 size. Can't see it Amazon or ebay. As I will probably used it once or twice I wanted a cheap way of doing it.

Just had a quick look, £28.26 delivered for A3 size. Can't see it Amazon or ebay. As I will probably used it once or twice I wanted a cheap way of doing it.
You could try a local glazing company , they maybe able to help you out.

Two way mirror will drop maybe a stop of light with each reflection. You won't get many reflections. No use. You need the best least lossy reflections you can get.

Golly.

Reading this I think it'll be easier to recruit 10,000 storm troopers.

Maybe give the Chinese army a call?

Yes. Or even another post processing application.

But you'd need to photograph the character at different distances so the perspective is correct. As each one will be slightly different. Move the tripod, click, move the tripod, click. And so on. Might be quicker. Or move the character. You don't want to bodge the perspective, do you?

Last edited:
Back