Info needed about school portraits.

Name
Brendan
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

My kids had some photos taken at school, my son has a beautiful smile but the day before he fell off the slide at preschool and busted his lip really bad. So the photo is not the best.

Can anyone recommend a good studio to get them taken again in the Kent area.

Thanks.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but a picture of your boy with a smile and a busted lip would surely tell its own story, and be a great reminder of this time in his life ?

However, given the fairly simple set-up, ie a couple of flash heads, a reflector and a white background used by most school photographers (at least the ones I have seen) can you not try to do something similar yourself with a window and a white wall with a piece of card/polystyrene/sheet as a reflector if you don't have access to any lights ?

Maybe a better answer to your question would be how about asking the school who did the shots and contacting them?
Most schools near me use the same company so I would imagine the actual photographer would be reasonably local or in your area fairly often and given that he/she got a good shot last time then they ought to be able to repeat it.

Thanks for the reply, I understand about the story but he also had an inch long cut above his eye so looks like a right bruiser.

Did think about doing it myself to be honest. I did have a good setup, but sold it all!! I will be using Fuji x pro 1 and 35mm 1.4.

Again thanks for the reply, if I do it myself I will post the photo.

I agree with stevewestern, each of my school photos growing up had something; cut eye brow, black eye, yellow/green bruising, broken arm, etc. Part of growing up, part of the story of life. It's brilliant when I now look back at them. So glad my parents didn't replace them.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but a picture of your boy with a smile and a busted lip would surely tell its own story, and be a great reminder of this time in his life ?

However, given the fairly simple set-up, ie a couple of flash heads, a reflector and a white background used by most school photographers (at least the ones I have seen) can you not try to do something similar yourself with a window and a white wall with a piece of card/polystyrene/sheet as a reflector if you don't have access to any lights ?

Maybe a better answer to your question would be how about asking the school who did the shots and contacting them?
Most schools near me use the same company so I would imagine the actual photographer would be reasonably local or in your area fairly often and given that he/she got a good shot last time then they ought to be able to repeat it.

My first port of call would be the company/photographer that took the photos and see if they will re-touch them. When I worked for Colorfoto we often received requests like that and did it FOC willingly.

I agree with stevewestern, each of my school photos growing up had something; cut eye brow, black eye, yellow/green bruising, broken arm, etc. Part of growing up, part of the story of life. It's brilliant when I now look back at them. So glad my parents didn't replace them.

sounds pretty much exactly like mine... especially from the age of 11 onwards, where it seems that school photo's were always done in the Rugby season, and I think half the lads in my class looked much the same...

from the games or from the drinking and fighting afterwards ?

For me it was from the games and just being a young boy...I don't drink as it is against my religion, nor fight unless for queen and country.

Well - when playing Union for the school, it was definitely on-pitch... but by the age of 16, I was playing in the Village's open-age League team as well - who were a bunch of scrappers, and again, the fighting was pretty much on-the-pitch (though the drinking afterwards occasionally caused a repeat flare-up or two...)

Off topic, but i recall a wedding a few years back where both the groom and the best man had black eyes and fat lips having got into a fight the night before ... and if that wasnt bad enough i discovered while chatting to a bridesmaid that in fact they'd got into the fight with each other ! :bang:

. and if that wasnt bad enough i discovered while chatting to a bridesmaid that in fact they'd got into the fight with each other ! :banghead:
Could have been worse, it could have been over the bridesmaid...

nah clearly with her they'd share ;) ... fighting is reserved for important things like whether leicester city are s*** (i'm not joking about the latter bit , that really was the reason)

a good friend of mine got hit in the cheek with a cricket ball 3 days before his wedding... was very lucky not to lose an eye. The make-up artist jumped in her car after preparing the bride and got him looking good as new before the ceremony

Back