INFO PLEASE.. best locations for photo shoots in/around Peak District

• Thread starter Deleted member 9479
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9479

Hi All.

Should have posted this a litle earleir but ran out of time. Off to the Peaks tomorrow morning with a couple of tog pals on a total 'photo shoot mini break' with the intention of getting some great landscapes (if poss). No family, no kids.. just purely photos. Only got until Saturday afternoon so could do with some pointers please :help:

Will be staying in Chesterfield and going around Hope, Castleton, Derwent, Buxton etc.. but has anyone, either living close or from a previous visit, got any other suggestions or pointers on key locations to visit for some great photo opportunities.

Will be on most of this evening so any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Help is at hand...!

Lots of great scenery near Castleton and a bit further. Mam Tor has splendid views all round and the ridge is a good walk if you have time. Between there and Castleton is Winnats Pass, a very steep, narrow gorge, lots of outcrops. Don't take the car up, it's too steep and narrow to keep stopping and you won't be popular. Beyond Mam Tor is Edale and Kinder Scout. Again, great views from the top.

Bit more to come if you want but I'll send this now so you can relax a bit...

Lathkill Dale, Monsal Dale, Dove Dale, Wolfcote Dale but not Winton Dale, all good spots with different character.

Andy

woo.. like buses you lot - nothing for a while and then.. ;)

Cheers for this - your timing was impecable as I was just about to log off.

Swatcher - bring it on, I'll take as much info as you can give.

Stanage Edge. Millstone Edge, Lawrencefield and surprise view, Padley Gorge,. Lots of small villages that are worth visiting.

Buxton from Solomons Temple, Chrome Hill etc from Axe Edge (A53), Three Shires Head near Flash where Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire meet.

this is great.. has everyone just come home or finished watching tv or something.? :)

QI's just finished. :)

Derwent Reservoir is where they filmed the Dam Busters and the stonework is very photogenic. There are Goshawks in the area and I've been told no one's got a shot of one in the wild yet, so there's a challenge.

There are caves in the Castleton Area and a castle (Peverill) and something called the Devil's Arse, which must be worth a look, though I've only heard of it.

All the way down the eastern edge are substantial rock edges, providing fine vantages.

Bits of the Derwent Valley, lower down and nearer to Chesterfield are beautiful, passing through the limestone of the White Peak. I don't know the area that well but Monsall Head has some high cliffs and there are many trails. Radio 4 did a piece from round Padley Gorge recently (Open Country or Ramblings) and it too sounds gorgeous (pardon the pun).

You have two types of scenery. The White Peak (the southern area) is much more green and wooded, with gorges and steep-sided valleys (limestone) - totally different from the Dark Peak (Mam Tor north) which is dark gritstone, peat moorland and either bleak or glowing, depending on the sun. Very moody skies, great colours but the light can be very harsh (I think it's the grass) so you might like to take filters. As you can probably tell, I love it up there.

Echoing a few people there, I see, but I wasn't expect the rush either. Hope this helps you - any questions, just ask. Have a good trip, Duncan

Stanage Edge. Millstone Edge

Bamford Edge as well, it gives a good view over Ladybower (there are pics on my Flickr)

Derwent Reservoir & Damn.

Kinder Downfall or Jacobs Ladder if you don't mind a bit of a hike.

Definitely Ladybower Reservoir. Especially if it's full!! (y)

LadyBower2.jpg

You'll find some great places wherever you go in The Peak District. :)

cheers everyone - had a great time. Weather on Thursday was fab but Fri and Sat morning was a bit too hazy which was a shame. Managed to get in:

Monsal Head panorama
Monsal Head viaduct and waterfall
Inside the dome at Buxton Uni
Up in the Peaks at various locations
Mam Tor
The Dam Wall on the Derwent (awesome)
Various reservoir shots.. but nothing like Wippers awesome shot :shake:
Chesterfield Twisted Spire
The Watermill (minus wheel.??) at Matlock

Various degrees of :) and :( because of the haze but will post a few of the best here shortly.

Still trying to sort out the best pano software from Autopano, Panoweaver, Panorama Factory to process the Monsal head shot. Any suggestions.? I';ve got a thread going already at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2581018#post2581018 but any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers again..

I've done a bit of Peak district research on ShotHotspot.com and the place looks like a landscape photographers dream!

The best spots look like:

- A peak near Grindleford
- Dovestone Reservoir
- A view of the railway near Monsal Head Hotel
- A waterfall in Lumbsdale (outside the national park, but only just)
- The Ladybower Overflow in Ladybower Reservoir

You can see a map of these here: http://www.shothotspot.com/hotspots...ed Kingdom&kw=&supressAudit=true#.UVazSFeaYnh

Back