Infrared Photography Update

Name
Archie Saunders
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Just updating you all on my previous post concerning my interest in Infrared Photography.

I've purchased a relatively cheap adjustable IR filter ranging from 590-750nm.
It works reasonably well with my Nikon D3300 but I have some question I'd like to ask the community.

With the filter attached, I take a picture of the grass in sunlight and use this as my white balance setting, but when I take the picture it is still a red mess, which is fine as it can be resolved in Lightroom and Photoshop but I've seen many examples where the picture doesn't look like a red mess, even before editing. If you could help with this, it'd be much appreciated.

Also, I will link a picture I've taken in this post. This was taken with the filter adjusted to 720nm. However, the crop in the field, the ivy on the tree, and the background foliage are pink, whereas the images taken with a 720nm filter that I've seen, show snowy white foliage on plants and trees.
is this because of the quality of the filter? it was only £13 but it feels and looks very decent quality. should I invest in a Hoya R72 filter? I've seen plenty going for £30 on eBay and majority of white foliage IR images seem to have been taken with that brand of filter.

IMAGE LINK: https://ibb.co/w7Xc6h0

So if you guys can help out that'll be much appreciated.
Thanks, Ajsski99

Last edited:
It doesn't look very infrared... unsurprisingly, because you're trying to squeeze IR from a camera that already has the IR filtered out.

You're always fighting an uphill battle that way. Very few modern cameras work well like that, if at all, regardless of what filter you try. You need an IR-converted camera - as mentioned in your other thread.

Back