Insect Repellant

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I'm in need of some before I go out again, I'm itching all over thanks to my last shoot! Damned things love me! What do we keep in our bags for such occasions?

As a Scot, living with midges, i've tried everything! Deet, Avon skin so soft, citronella, you name it. The only thing that works for me is Smidge - you can get it online or most camping stores (here in Scotland, anyway). It truly works - I couldn't visit the North of this country without it! Link - https://www.smidgeup.com

(
For reference, I'm normally bitten alive - in the mouth, ears, eyelids... no stone is left unturned with those critters!)

Last edited:
One with DEET in it (50% or less) - there are versions of Jungle Formula and Boots Repel containing this. Unfortunately it also attacks various plastics, which can make a real mess of your camera if you spray it carelessly or transfer it from your hands or face to your gear.

One with DEET in it (50% or less) - there are versions of Jungle Formula and Boots Repel containing this. Unfortunately it also attacks various plastics, which can make a real mess of your camera if you spray it carelessly or transfer it from your hands or face to your gear.

That doesn't sound like something I should keep in my camera bag knowing my cack-handedness!

As a Scot, living with midges, i've tried everything! Deet, Avon skin so soft, citronella, you name it. The only thing that works for me is Smidge - you can get it online or most camping stores (here in Scotland, anyway). It truly works - I couldn't visit the North of this country without it! Link - https://www.smidgeup.com

(
For reference, I'm normally bitten alive - in the mouth, ears, eyelids... no stone is left unturned with those critters!)

Worth a try (y) The itching today is insane!

Avon skin so soft (old cream coloured bottle if you can get it), smidge or Autan ( similar to smidge and was cheaper)

As mentioned above, take care with some products. After rubbing it all over your naked bits, the remaining oil on your hands can melt or mark plastics and paint finishes. I use the old Avon stuff when I'm out with the cameras. That uses citronella and hasn't destroyed anything I've held. Slap lots of avon on, not a light rub. I like it to drown anything before it has a chance to bite me. I spray my clothes too.

Putting lots on stops these too. This was from a trip in the Berwyns when I forgot the oil, found it under my sock band.

As a long time blood donor to the midge population of north west Scotland I have tried a few things.

Avon Skin So Soft
Haven't used it for a while but it worked and smells way nicer than any other, but I find it wears off quickly and if I'm doing anything active it need repeated applications. Have heard the formula might have changed which might alter its effectiveness.

DEET based products
Works very well and last pretty well too even during activity but I find it fairly unpleasant - it stings my eyes and numbs my lips. It, as said above, also melts some plastics which isn't desirable if you use a camera or wear glasses.

Smidge
This is my current favourite. It seems to work just about as well as the DEETy ones and doesn't have the drawbacks.

If things are really bad (like this -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzUlj6eTehA

) and/or you are fairly static then a midge hood works well.

Dave

Last edited:
Worth a try (y) The itching today is insane!

Yeah, definitely! The last time I used it was after forgetting to put it on whilst pitching a tent. After about 4 or 5 midge bites I soon realised - put some on and didn't get another bite for the rest of the night. Proof, if any were needed!

Looks like Smidge will find its way into my suitcase next month. Hopefully keep us munch free on holiday. There are a couple of stockists listed in town so I'll try to remember to pick some up on Saturday. Cheers for the tip!

I think we still have one bottle of SkinSoSoft somewhere (old formulation) but we both dislike DEET, although we do use it when we forget the SSS!

Smidge for me

Incognito for me. Available from Holland and Barrett. Been using it for a long time in Asia and it works a treat. Particularly impressive that all my time is spent fishing, so i am next to rivers and lakes where they are far more concentrated.

Perhaps aimed at Mosquitoes more than midges but i was only bitten twice in Thailand last year and those were on the first day when it hadn't worked into my skin properly. They love fresh skin!

If you are serious about avoiding bites, use the soap and hair / body wash too. it works into the skin much better. The soap is particularly good.

I personally have been advised to avoid deet for various reasons and incognito is a much more natural alternative.

Last edited:
I take my Wife. They love her, and if i position myself about 10 feet away they don't trouble me.;):LOL:
I used to use Deet but it has all the drawbacks as above.... Will have to give Smidge a try!

Incognito for me. Available from Holland and Barrett. Been using it for a long time in Asia and it works a treat. Particularly impressive that all my time is spent fishing, so i am next to rivers and lakes where they are far more concentrated.

Perhaps aimed at Mosquitoes more than midges but i was only bitten twice in Thailand last year and those were on the first day when it hadn't worked into my skin properly. They love fresh skin!

If you are serious about avoiding bites, use the soap and hair / body wash too. it works into the skin much better. The soap is particularly good.

I personally have been advised to avoid deet for various reasons and incognito is a much more natural alternative.

I hadn't thought of using the soap or body wash. Are those Incognito products too?

Yes they are. there is a whole range.
If you want to use the spray from another brand then you can just buy the soap / bodywash to help coat your skin.
Doesnt smell offensive, just citronella. Doesnt make you stink once applied. My clothes never smelt of it. Didnt dry my skin out or make it tight. So would recommend.

Looks like Smidge will find its way into my suitcase next month. Hopefully keep us munch free on holiday. There are a couple of stockists listed in town so I'll try to remember to pick some up on Saturday. Cheers for the tip!

I think we still have one bottle of SkinSoSoft somewhere (old formulation) but we both dislike DEET, although we do use it when we forget the SSS!

Neither of the listed stockists in town had any in stock - sold out. Ordered from Amazon instead. Fingers crossed that it works for us. Based on the Amazon review statistics, it should work on one of us at least!

Joking aside this has been a really useful post as my wife really does get attacked by these little horrors when we're out so have ordered some Smidge from Amazon too and will see what that like.

Mine arrived, haven't had chance to test it out against the vampires yet but tried it on an arm and it definitely has staying power. Also, you don't want to get it on any sore, damaged or cut skin, it burns like wildfire!

We go to Skye every year and in the past my poor wife becomes a fast food outlet for the midges there.
We have been using Smidge and Avon SSS for the last 2 years, the Smidge in particular has been very effective. The only warning to bare in mind, as Alan has discovered, is to avoid any cuts with the Smidge because it burns like b*ggery! [emoji15]

Andy

My wife & I are off to Mull at the end of June, best we invest in some Smidge...

Mine arrived, haven't had chance to test it out against the vampires yet but tried it on an arm and it definitely has staying power. Also, you don't want to get it on any sore, damaged or cut skin, it burns like wildfire!

Mine arrived as well. Got the Mrs Nod seal of approval as far as smell goes (and doesn't make me smell like a tart's handbag!) and if it works as well for us against the beasties as it seems to for the majority of reviewers, we can put up with it being a bit oily for a while. Will make sure to avoid getting it in any fresh wounds and the almost inevitable sunburn.

we can put up with it being a bit oily for a while.

A lot of folk swear that it is the oiliness that stops the beasties biting, rather than the smell or chemical content.

I actually use Sainsbury's Jungle repellent, appears to work well with me

Last year one outing out to Ham wall Somerset left me with :-

Miss shapened forearms, due to bites and reaction, I also managed to pick up a tick on my stomach, goodness knows how has I was warning an heavy cotton t-shirt! Said tick requiring a scalpel removal by my local small injury unit! After my attempts using my dogs tick removers, and various other techniques I know all failed ( I can generally remove a tic from my dogs in under 30 seconds)

I was very sheepish when I arrived at the small injury unit, to explain that I couldn't remove it, and I now had a partial bulls eye! Felt vindicated When after almost an hour trying various sized tick removers, and other techniques they gave up and employed Scalpel method they cut the little bugger out..... Then the debate concerning I have a partial bulls eye, so do I have antibiotics or not, Lyme's disease is rather rife where I live so a major debate concerning the antibiotics as I also have T1 diabetes! it was decided in the end, I was sensible enough to monitor the partial bulls eye, if it got worse in the next month leg it back for the Antibiotics!

So I find that the extra Strong Jungle repellent keeps the mossies at bay, and several packs of Tick removers, kindly supplied by the small injuries unit, as they come in packs of two, they tried several sizes, and gave me the ones they didn't use, and a couple more packs....

I carry in my camera bag at all times, a Gluogen kit, Tick removers, Jungle spray, Foil blanket and Anti septic cream the later purely if I'm bitten I acting fast!

Mossies are a pain in the butt, but Ticks are another thing, they are evil demon's I've know two people who have contracted Lyme's disease after a tick bite, one died around 5 years afterwards and the other survived but had a long period of time of being unwell..

So Ticks and Lyme's disease are something we should be aware of, and carry a Tick remover also check for Ticks after returning from a possible contact site when we're out photographing

Jo, not meaning to be alarmist but having come VERY close to losing a good mate to Lyme disease (before it was as well known as it is now - he picked it up in the USA), I would suggest that taking the antibiotics now as a precautionary measure would be the better option. Once Lyme disease does its worst, the long term after affects are permanent and at times debilitating. And that's before adding the complication that T1 Diabetes can add.

The active ingredient in Smidge, is Saltidin also known as Picaridin and Icaridin.
Interestingly it is the main repellent ingredient in the Avon SSS.

I have tried them all and I have almost ended up in hospital after I was bitten so bad. The only thing that works for me is Avon Skin So Soft and make sure it is the Woodland Fresh version. I have not been bitten when using this. Most people won't mention that with this repellant the midges will still land on you but for some reason don't bite you.

Just updating an oldish thread. The other night, as the heather is showing well, I went out onto the local moor to try for a sunset. Within a couple of minutes I was getting badly bitten by the dreaded midges and beat a hasty retreat back to the safety of the car.

Remembering this thread, I dug it out, read all about what seemed to work and what didn't and eventually ordered a spray can of the Smidge product. They've forecast a possible sunset for tonight so I'll get smidged up and don the face net I also bought from SmidgeUp.Com and venture out on the moor again. Then, if I'm not bitten to death by the midges, I'll let you know how I got on.

Last edited:
Back, safe and sound all in one piece and really pleased to say that for me, the Smidge product really WORKS.

Again, within a couple of minutes of arriving on the moor I could see the midges gathering and as I looked down the tripod legs and my bag, there were hundreds of the little buggers. The odd midge landed on my face but luckily enough none settled. Never even had to put the face net on, wonder if I can get a refund on it.

Last edited:
I went out with the dog after covering any bare skin with smidge, including my ears. Wearing a t shirt, so bare arms, and walked along the riverbank which was swarming with midgies.........not one bite! :) :banana:

Back