Insta or Flickr

Just posting an image from dSLR is near impossible
Well, posting direct from a DSLR to any media / website is quite difficult, but I presume you don't mean directly from the camera.

In which case actually, it is very easy to post photos from a PC to Instagram in just a couple of clicks using free (mainstream(ish)) software.
I'd hazard a guess that 30-40% of my posts are done in this way. I do use the flickr->phone->instagram route more though as I use the downtime of the daily commute on SWR.

In which case actually, it is very easy to post photos from a PC to Instagram in just a couple of clicks using free (mainstream(ish)) software.

?? The chrome inspect trick no longer works and everything else is strongly discouraged at best (leads to hijacked accounts?). Seriously, do I have to ditch my 32" monitor and go to my crappy chinese mobile and use their info stealing app to upload my advertorials? Hell, if I could afford to pay someone to do it for me I would.

They clearly don't allow any 3rd party app to make sure you have theirs, and they get all your data from your smartphone. First thing I did on the new phone was to uninstall facebook and instagram.

I use Instagram as it seems to be where a lot of photographer friends have migrated too.

I deleted everything from Flickr recently. It is still a good resource for groups etc, found a brilliant explanation of a focus system on there that was handy in a fix.

?? The chrome inspect trick no longer works and everything else is strongly discouraged at best (leads to hijacked accounts?). Seriously, do I have to ditch my 32" monitor and go to my crappy chinese mobile and use their info stealing app to upload my advertorials? Hell, if I could afford to pay someone to do it for me I would.

They clearly don't allow any 3rd party app to make sure you have theirs, and they get all your data from your smartphone. First thing I did on the new phone was to uninstall facebook and instagram.
I was referring to the Vivaldi browser (based on Chromium) and their 'web panels' which emulate the mobile version of their browser.

It isn't as fully featured as the app, but it works and allows you to upload from your desktop.

So no, no dodgy hacks and you can stick with your 3210 rather than joining the C21 phone wise ;)

Is Flickr used in that way? I always thought there was a T&C that prevented linking to professional selling (Unless things have changed since smugmug took over).

I am not sure what you mean there.

Is it this from the ToS, prohibiting

• unsolicited messages containing promotions, political campaigning, advertising or solicitations”
?

I take that to mean sending spam via FlickrMail, rather than putting a link to your web site in your bio or mentioning that you have prints for sale, and there plenty of photographers I follow that do

Unless you are talking actually about posting ads in your Flickr stream?

I think a lot of it is who your target audience is. I get the impression (and this could be misplaced) that Flickr is used by and visited by photographers to showcase work and not much else. Instagram however is more consumer focused and used by people for a variety of things (showcasing photography, looking for locations for holidays, following brands & celebrities).

I choose to use Instagram because I want my work to be seen and to be followed by normal every day people as opposed to a niche audience. Like I said, my perception of Flickr could be misplaced, but that is my perception of it.

Last edited:
This thread seems to have ended about this time last year. In the year since Flickr continues its downward spiral under SmugMug's ownership. Groups have grown quieter, and site stability has grown far worse. This past year SmugMug asked Flickr members to extend their memberships and pay up in order to gain more cash flow. Worrisome that their budgeting has been over taxed. Worrisome that their need for future revenue will be greater since renewal membership fees will have already been spent. I have not much faith in Flickr's longevity. I was on Instagram this past year, loading from my laptop. It was not easy. But, possible. The experience there was not much to write home about, and eventually closed my account there. Happily I have found other sites like Cameraderie.org that has been loads of fun. The smaller sites have interested me. I have resumed to being happy once more with photography on the web despite Olympus Imaging's recent sale and its meaning overall. So to the thread's theme I would be for neither Flickr nor Instagram at this date: June 27, 2020 (a year since my first posting).

This thread seems to have ended about this time last year. In the year since Flickr continues its downward spiral under SmugMug's ownership. Groups have grown quieter, and site stability has grown far worse. This past year SmugMug asked Flickr members to extend their memberships and pay up in order to gain more cash flow. Worrisome that their budgeting has been over taxed. Worrisome that their need for future revenue will be greater since renewal membership fees will have already been spent. I have not much faith in Flickr's longevity. I was on Instagram this past year, loading from my laptop. It was not easy. But, possible. The experience there was not much to write home about, and eventually closed my account there. Happily I have found other sites like Cameraderie.org that has been loads of fun. The smaller sites have interested me. I have resumed to being happy once more with photography on the web despite Olympus Imaging's recent sale and its meaning overall. So to the thread's theme I would be for neither Flickr nor Instagram at this date: June 27, 2020 (a year since my first posting).

Sorry, have to disagree with this. My impression of flickr over the past few months has been, I would say, the polar opposite of yours.

1. The site is stable here where I live (continental Europe). In 6 months I've had the bad panda only once.
2. People are creating new groups and old, historical groups are being taken over and cleaned up. I myself have taken over six film photography group as a moderator/admin. When you refresh the message, clean up the digital cr*p and start inviting great photographers in, people feel energised, new people join and groups get back to life. It's really happening. I have to moderate queues of 20-50 photos per day in 2 of the groups I run, and most of them are GREAT medium format film photography shots by people who really know what they're doing.
3. I like what smugmug is doing to flickr personally. Not too much, not too little. I like the new group admin tools, the interface overall works for me, the new maps and tagging works. The explorer feature is being revamped. I find I'm seeing better photos in explore nowadays, the new algorithm works well. Sure there is room for improvement.

In light of all of this, I have now transitioned to pro and paid upfront for two years. Many, many people in my age group (20-45) who are also into film photography are now leaving instagram and transitioning to flickr.

The camraderie - for me, flickr was never about that. It's about people keeping well tagged, well described historical records of the development of their photo journey. Plenty of facebook groups for photographic camraderie, I find!

So no, groups in general have not 'gotten quieter' in my experience, and stability has gotten better. Flickr is a great photography platform, if perhaps a bit of an oddity in the current 'social media' world. That suits me fine.

Instagram personally I have no use for.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, what do ppl prefer for posting photos. Instagram or Flicker, any pro's or cons, better features and benefits ?

Both.

While they both are meant to be for you to display your photos, showcase your photos, they are kind of designed to be different from each other in the way you show your photos. It is not like comparing two similar family cars, deciding the difference based on a 1.6 engine vs. a 1.8 engine, 2-door vs. a 4-door. It is really more like comparing two totally different cars, nowhere similar to each other. Like a sport car vs. a four-wheel-drive.

Instagram is really more suited for showing a single (or few) photos by posting it to let your viewers see what is happening right now. It's more like writing a journal by using a picture that speaks a thousand words. It's kind of like Facebook's status, where you would say what you're doing or how you're feeling, but with pictures instead of words.

Flickr is really more suited for showing so many photos in one screen, kind of like an online equivalent of a photo/art gallery. You showcase so many photo in one view, and let them pick one photo for a closer look.

As a photographer (and/or graphic designer, artist, writer, video-maker, etc.,), you could find using both to be of benefit. If you think of it this way...

You go out on a photo-shoot, you take a snapshot of what you're doing, and post it on Instagram with some simple text like Currently doing a project, doing fine, you can see more of my photos on Flickr in a couple of days time. And having done the photo-shoot, you go home, upload to computer, do editing, then select a dozen of best photos for upload to Flickr.

Kind of like Hollywood studios using television and YouTube for teaser and trailer clips of an upcoming movie, then show the full movie at cinema.

Flickr vs Insta.... hmmm... no one is using photos.google.com?

I'm in the anti faceook group, so I will NEVER use instagram under any circumstances .

Reactions: Sky
Flickr vs Insta.... hmmm... no one is using photos.google.com?
And what about all the other social media platforms, Twiiter, TikToK, Pintrest, you can post photos on them all, bigger doesn't not mean better :D

Sorry, have to disagree with this. My impression of flickr over the past few months has been, I would say, the polar opposite of yours.

1. The site is stable here where I live (continental Europe). In 6 months I've had the bad panda only once.
2. People are creating new groups and old, historical groups are being taken over and cleaned up. I myself have taken over six film photography group as a moderator/admin. When you refresh the message, clean up the digital cr*p and start inviting great photographers in, people feel energised, new people join and groups get back to life. It's really happening. I have to moderate queues of 20-50 photos per day in 2 of the groups I run, and most of them are GREAT medium format film photography shots by people who really know what they're doing.
3. I like what smugmug is doing to flickr personally. Not too much, not too little. I like the new group admin tools, the interface overall works for me, the new maps and tagging works. The explorer feature is being revamped. I find I'm seeing better photos in explore nowadays, the new algorithm works well. Sure there is room for improvement.

In light of all of this, I have now transitioned to pro and paid upfront for two years. Many, many people in my age group (20-45) who are also into film photography are now leaving instagram and transitioning to flickr.

The camraderie - for me, flickr was never about that. It's about people keeping well tagged, well described historical records of the development of their photo journey. Plenty of facebook groups for photographic camraderie, I find!

So no, groups in general have not 'gotten quieter' in my experience, and stability has gotten better. Flickr is a great photography platform, if perhaps a bit of an oddity in the current 'social media' world. That suits me fine.

Instagram personally I have no use for.
I have to say that I have found Flickr stable as well.

And what about all the other social media platforms, Twiiter, TikToK, Pintrest, you can post photos on them all, bigger doesn't not mean better :D
I don't know, I don't think photos.google is social media, I just use it as cloud storage and linking. I've got 1000s of photos in 100s of albums, everything's so easy to find. There are some pretty good special effects/filters too, which I occasionally use.

Last edited:
I like Flickr because it is hosting platform for photos that you can use in other platforms, like forum. But I do not use it anymore to build my portfolio. Instagram is my main platform.

Why I like Instagram? It is photo platform, growing , popular. And at the end of the day, you can earn money with some skills and luck.

Why I don't like in Instagram? Mainly because of algorithm. Instagram is free if your account is small, but wants to earn money. If you have let's say 10k followers and publish a post, it will reach only small percentage of them. You have to pay Instagram if you want that your new post reach all of your followers. This way they limit your growth, but your popularity is still not big enough to make some money.

Last edited:
Back