Instagram? Do you use...??? If so what advice can you give me!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Ive been thinking recently that instagram may be the best way forward to get my images seen by a wider audience.

I used it for a short while but struggled to get followers and not sure I was doing well at promoting my images. There seems to be a science involved in when and what to post, tagging people in, tagging photo sharing accounts in and using hashtags!

I guess im just on here for a little advice before I start again on instagram... if indeed I even do...

so... Do you use instagram??? Did it take a while to establish a following??? How do you go about promoting your images??? Have you found photo promoting accounts useful and worth tagging in??? What hashtags have you found attract a lot of attention??? And any other tips, advice, thoughts on instagram in general!

Discuss!!!!

Thanks

I use IG, solely for car meets I attend. I'll freely admit that they're just snaps on the whole. It's taken a while to get to the point where I'm approaching 1200 followers but you'll probably find people follow you because they want a follow back - 2 days later many unfollow. I tag relevant things and relevant people but I know many people tag a million things to draw a potential audience.

To be honest, I find the whole IG baffling - I used to get more likes per post when I had less followers, maybe they've changed their algorithms?

follow you because they want a follow back - 2 days later many unfollow
Probably the worst part of Instagram. If you do everything the right way, you will gain followers but eventually start losing some each day. You would need a detailed plan about what to post, at what time to post, hashtags to use, people to tags and everything related. Every famous personality on instagram has done it, or had someone do it. There are applications that will like and comment on relevant photos from your account, giving you real followers, but the process is slow. You'd be looking at something around 300-400 followers a month, but they will be real.
Use hashtags properly, as each new hashtag could be a new opportunity. Found this article here really informative, and I always copy the complete set of hashtags listed under each of their categories: Photography hashtags
Last, you have to be regular with posting images and engaging with people or you'll start losing out on followers. Good luck!

I have an intense dislike for the follow/unfollowers!

I'm currently at 446 followers and cannot get through the 450 barrier! Keep getting close, but then somebody else puls the plug!

Just put a photo of your camera up with a coffee cup next to it. People seem to love this stuff, you’ll son be through that 450 barrier! :D

300-400 followers per month ? Is "Olivia Green" a real person ?

I post daily generally and interact..I'm now somewhere between 1210 and 1225. The process is slow but 300-400 extra every month ?

#youtubemoney

Probably the worst part of Instagram. If you do everything the right way, you will gain followers but eventually start losing some each day. You would need a detailed plan about what to post, at what time to post, hashtags to use, people to tags and everything related. Every famous personality on instagram has done it, or had someone do it. There are applications that will like and comment on relevant photos from your account, giving you real followers, but the process is slow. You'd be looking at something around 300-400 followers a month, but they will be real.
Use hashtags properly, as each new hashtag could be a new opportunity. Found this article here really informative, and I always copy the complete set of hashtags listed under each of their categories: Photography hashtags
Last, you have to be regular with posting images and engaging with people or you'll start losing out on followers. Good luck!

Thanks... that article is interesting!

I dont really want to be famous! I dont want to follow a huge amount of people just so they follow me! I just want interaction with genuine people with mutual interest in each others pictures and work

Thanks... that article is interesting!

I dont really want to be famous! I dont want to follow a huge amount of people just so they follow me! I just want interaction with genuine people with mutual interest in each others pictures and work
There are genuine apps that automatically follow and engage with people based on tags that you define. For example, if you give the tag as portrait photographers, it'll automatically follow people with similar interest. The only negative point is that it automatically unfollows users that it followed after a while. But its a great way to meet and follow people with similar interest. Its just that these apps automate the process of discovery and finding the right audience.

Last edited:
300-400 followers per month ? Is "Olivia Green" a real person ?

I post daily generally and interact..I'm now somewhere between 1210 and 1225. The process is slow but 300-400 extra every month ?
How is a real person defined in your dictionary?

And about your question, there's a difference between you engaging with people and an automated app that engages based on similar interest. In these apps, you basically define the tags that you're account is based on and then it automatically follows and likes accounts based on similar interest. The process is completely automated by their team and if you've defined the tags really well and targeted, 300-400 is the minimum you're looking at!

How is a real person defined in your dictionary?

And about your question, there's a difference between you engaging with people and an automated app that engages based on similar interest. In these apps, you basically define the tags that you're account is based on and then it automatically follows and likes accounts based on similar interest. The process is completely automated by their team and if you've defined the tags really well and targeted, 300-400 is the minimum you're looking at!

But I don’t want to follow a load of people. So me getting all these additional followers is based on a follow for follow basis ?

But I don’t want to follow a load of people. So me getting all these additional followers is based on a follow for follow basis ?
It follows a number of people based on the tags you define, and automatically unfollows them after a couple of days. It does seems like the process wouldn't work since as soon aa it'll unfollow the same will be done by people, but this is not the case. Talking about numbers for instance, it follows 100 people a day out of which 60-70 follow you back. After a couple of days, it unfollows all 100 and you're finally left with 30-50 followers. Used these numbers just for example, actual numbers depend on how you mention the tags.

and this works for you ?

I see you touting how wonderful Pixpa is on a load of photography forums in the last 6 months so it would appear to me that you are a sales person for them ? Or you are really a photographer ? I may be cynical but if i find something good, i don't plaster it on every forum i can find unless i'm being paid

and this works for you ?
It does, since its difficult to engage with so many people everyday.

I see you touting how wonderful Pixpa is on a load of photography forums in the last 6 months so it would appear to me that you are a sales person for them ? Or you are really a photographer ? I may be cynical but if i find something good, i don't plaster it on every forum i can find unless i'm being paid
Their customer support has been one of the best (and yes I've tried many in the past). While most high end players impose such high commissions on sales, they do not charge a single penny on sales. This and many other factors made me love their service and I've been their affiliate since. Every time someone signs up with my code, I get a commission.

I seriously dislike instagram. It doesn't work with desktop in pretty much every way imaginable; no clickable links... and it is all very complicated, mostly fake and very time consuming. It is what you call a digital gulag. It is time we got back to drawing people back to our sites or physical galleries - not the other way round!

Relevant content posts, including meaning full text a minimum of 3 times per day. Relevant tags only.

Back