Instagram - share your user name

What the hell is 'instagram' ? If it is anything like 'Twitter' then I am proud to never have even seen it. In fact, i think the first four letters of the title perfectly describe the type of person who must use it. :D

What the hell is 'instagram' ? If it is anything like 'Twitter' then I am proud to never have even seen it. In fact, i think the first four letters of the title perfectly describe the type of person who must use it. :D

Instagram is the biggest photo sharing app on the planet. Facebook bought them in 2012 for $1Billion . It is used by some of the best photographers to share their work and to network and get business. It has given me probably one of my best wedding gigs in my short wedding photography career thus far. It's definitely much more than it appears on the surface and is not just for mobile phone photography and crap filters, although there are people taking better photos with their phones and filters than I can manage! :)

Thank you for enlightening me - I had never heard of it. Thankfully, I don't have to do ANY advertising or promotion and have more work than I can handle, I don't even have a website! I did start to try make a website about 8 or 9 years ago....but I never even finished the first page and someone who knew me got in touch and told me that I hadn't even put my contact details on it.....which gives you an idea of my level of competence with all this guff. :D

The amount of work I was getting was such that there was one 5 year period where I had 5 days off. Not per year, in total over the 5 years. It nearly killed me. Now I cherry pick and to try and reduce the demand I doubled my price...that had the reverse effect too. So I scrapped the studio (I gave it to another photographer, lights and all - he just took over the rent on the building and walked in,on the promise if I needed to use it one day I could). Now I only do location stuff and only what I feel like doing......obviously, I cannot possibly get by without all these fancy, billion $ website things.

Personally, I think all that happens is you get lost in a big sea. I still use the very old fashioned letter writing model, using a proper fountain pen, Parker 75 Verneil, not a biro or Stabilo rollerball (come on, have some style). I then go and see, in person, dressing properly, not in jeans and a leather jacket, you need to look businesslike. That results in not single, one-off jobs, but repeat work, so the one meeting results in years worth of relationships and work. It is much easier to GET a client than it is to KEEP a client. getting a client is a one off job, KEEPING a client means work being landed on your doorstep month after month....

Personally I view internet marketing the same as I do email marketing...and just what do YOU do with the junk email YOU get? So what makes you think the ones you send out will be treated any differently. I find it very sad the world has gone this way - and it is by choice, because you don't have to capitulate to this madness. I am proof of that.

Back