Instagram - what a nightmare!

I had to upgrade from LR3 to LR5 when I switched from 5D2 > A7 which was early 2015 I think. It was difficult to find the option to buy the standalone version back then....!!

That's just a random example - rather a lot of people on the Internet aren't pleased, ignorant or otherwise, just as when Adobe moved to a cloud subscription. And transparent? Looking at their website, I can't immediately tell that anything other than a subscription service exists (though it's good to know the standalone version still works, however well hidden the details are - the pricing page doesn't even mention this option).
Maybe (haven’t checked) but the allegation was that 1Password users were upset, not new buyers and I can tell you that anyone who was already a user was told that the standalone version was continuing. However, I don’t want to make this an argument twixt you and me!
Well now you need NEVER forget your passwords with my FREE method;

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/perfect-unforgettable-passwords.685475/
i had a look but I can’t see how you remember which password relates to which account unless you are recommending generating it fresh each time. Additionally I have the usernames and passwords for various relatives and friends who rely on me to sort out their devices and accounts when they mess up — I can’t be unique in this.
I would have to store eg “9af42250abb411294dbeee3a9917303aa62fc9560b474023365a1070eeabfb0d” somewhere so that it could be copied and pasted into the form and also type or copy/paste the username and so on.
With 1Password when I land on a sign-in page I just put the cursor in the box, touch “password etc” on the keyboard and then touch the fingerprint sensor and both boxes are filled, even if they are on succeeding pages.

U
Maybe (haven’t checked) but the allegation was that 1Password users were upset, not new buyers and I can tell you that anyone who was already a user was told that the standalone version was continuing. However, I don’t want to make this an argument twixt you and me!

i had a look but I can’t see how you remember which password relates to which account unless you are recommending generating it fresh each time. Additionally I have the usernames and passwords for various relatives and friends who rely on me to sort out their devices and accounts when they mess up — I can’t be unique in this.
I would have to store eg “9af42250abb411294dbeee3a9917303aa62fc9560b474023365a1070eeabfb0d” somewhere so that it could be copied and pasted into the form and also type or copy/paste the username and so on.
With 1Password when I land on a sign-in page I just put the cursor in the box, touch “password etc” on the keyboard and then touch the fingerprint sensor and both boxes are filled, even if they are on succeeding pages.

You have missed the point - you DON'T need to remember which PW relates to an account - the e-mail (or the website NAME) and YOUR token together create the hash.

Using your secret token you simply create the hash when you need it then copy it directly into the password box - nothing is stored - that is one of the things that keep it safe.

And in all the years I have been using this method it has never failed me - I am one of the few people whose Yahoo a/c was never cracked!

U

You have missed the point - you DON'T need to remember which PW relates to an account - the e-mail (or the website NAME) and YOUR token together create the hash.

Using your secret token you simply create the hash when you need it then copy it directly into the password box - nothing is stored - that is one of the things that keep it safe.

And in all the years I have been using this method it has never failed me - I am one of the few people whose Yahoo a/c was never cracked!
Seems to be Windows only so doesn’t work on phones and tablets nor Macs :(

Why would someone who uses a real camera with knobs on want to join a social media site designed specifically for people who take photographs with telephones?

....Because Instagram no longer is a media site exclusively for images taken with phone cameras. There are a lot of talented and serious photographers on Instagram and enjoying their work can be very inspirational.

For some time now it has been a powerful commercial medium and is also potentially highly inspirational. It is far more interesting than Twatter in my opinion which I find shallow and transient.

My daughter's commercial success resulting in her work being sold in over 35 galleries and shops in the UK has been partly due to her activity on Instagram. I know many other similarly creative people who also successfully promote their work, and of course themselves, on Instagram.

I automatically upload my best photos in folders to a large amount of storage space on my iPhone and iPad anyway and from there I can easily upload which images I select to Instagram.

Instagram is owned by Facebook.

My daughter's Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/skysiouki/

My Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/redrobinpix/

I use it to share some of my pictures and am not interested in selling any. I need to update it more often but visit Instagram more than once every day.

:cool:

It’s disappointing, and a bit odd, that Facebook with all their riches can’t make an instagram app for iPads (nor other tablets, I think). One can use the phone app but that is unsatisfactory (and doesn’t rotate) so one has to use the browser — and suffer nagging to get the app:mad:.

Last edited:
....Because Instagram no longer is a media site exclusively for images taken with phone cameras. There are a lot of talented and serious photographers on Instagram and enjoying their work can be very inspirational.

For some time now it has been a powerful commercial medium and is also potentially highly inspirational. It is far more interesting than Twatter in my opinion which I find shallow and transient.

My daughter's commercial success resulting in her work being sold in over 35 galleries and shops in the UK has been partly due to her activity on Instagram. I know many other similarly creative people who also successfully promote their work, and of course themselves, on Instagram.

I automatically upload my best photos in folders to a large amount of storage space on my iPhone and iPad anyway and from there I can easily upload which images I select to Instagram.

Instagram is owned by Facebook.

My daughter's Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/skysiouki/

My Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/redrobinpix/

I use it to share some of my pictures and am not interested in selling any. I need to update it more often but visit Instagram more than once every day.

:cool:

Loads of nice pics there Robin - you're obviously very talented.

And the more people can see this type of work the more they may be inspired to improve their own work.

@petersmart Maybe it’s intentional but your Instagram link in yor sig and profile are just to the generic www Instagram com rather that your personal pages.

@petersmart Maybe it’s intentional but your Instagram link in yor sig and profile are just to the generic www Instagram com rather that your personal pages.

My bad - does that do it?

It’s disappointing, and a bit odd, that Facebook with all their riches can’t make an instagram app for iPads (nor other tablets, I think). One can use the phone app but that is unsatisfactory (and doesn’t rotate) so one has to use the browser — and suffer nagging to get the app:mad:.

....I don't quite understand you there, Richard, because Instagram (known as 'Insta' amongst the cool peeps) has an app for iPads. It is the same in appearance as the phone app and neither can be viewed in landscape orientation < I think it's a legacy from Insta's mobile-phone-only origins and base coding and I think it unlikely to change. However, they did change from all images having to be square.

Btw, I can post info about how to avoid Insta cropping your images when uploaded - Ask me and I'll dig out the info - It's a simple third-party app and free.

My bad - does that do it?

....Yep, it certainly does, Albert!

Loads of nice pics there Robin - you're obviously very talented.

And the more people can see this type of work the more they may be inspired to improve their own work.

....Cheers, much appreciated and I agree wholeheartedly about the inspirational aspect.

Instagram has more in common with Flickr than either Facebook or Twatter and I don't think of Insta and Flickr as social media but just as online media for images, some being product related on Insta.

Last edited:
In any event it's simply down to each of us how we use all online media and what we gain out of it or simply enjoy looking at [What? Me? perv on pretty Insta model girls? - A couple of them are actually friends but there's no harm in looking anyway]

Never judge a book by its cover!

....As a very good example: Inevitably with online activity, there are those in cyberspace who are out to scam or pull you into their naughty pics (it happens on Flickr occasionally) but it's easy to Block them rather than get stressed by it. So one day a very pretty model girl started following me on Instagram and I didn't know her in real life and all my pics are of wildlife and so my first thought that she was up to no good and just fishing for me to Follow her back to ramp up her numbers. But before hitting the Block option I checked her out and then saw she was a Canon shooter as well as a very active model girl (same age as my daughter) based in California.

Long story short, she was raped when she was 16yo and has 'come out' publicly about it and is very very motivated and active in helping others. We occasionally email each other and are online fwends. I'm glad I didn't Block her - Here is her Insta page :

https://www.instagram.com/ashleyobe/

I'm 71yo and I enjoy having friends of all ages. One of the perks of being an older gentleman is that women (the ones with good character) are more open to you because you are obviously no longer in the mating game < This applies more to real life rather than in cyberspace.

Last edited:
....I don't quite understand you there, Richard, because Instagram (known as 'Insta' amongst the cool peeps) has an app for iPads.

It doesn’t. You can use the iPhone app on an iPad. Prior to iOS 12, it doubled the iPhone app version for 3:2 screens to fill the iPad screen. But iOS 12 runs iPhone apps in 16:9 so they don’t fill an iPad screen.

....I don't quite understand you there, Richard, because Instagram (known as 'Insta' amongst the cool peeps) has an app for iPads.

I just checked this. I downloaded it from App Store. It’s the iPhone version. There still isn’t an iPad version.

Btw, I can post info about how to avoid Insta cropping your images when uploaded - Ask me and I'll dig out the info - It's a simple third-party app and free.

You don’t have to publish photos as square format, and haven’t had to do so for a long time.

Here’s one of mine in original format:

View: https://instagram.com/p/Bn0a-WclSPm/

Last edited:
It doesn’t. You can use the iPhone app on an iPad. Prior to iOS 12, it doubled the iPhone app version for 3:2 screens to fill the iPad screen. But iOS 12 runs iPhone apps in 16:9 so they don’t fill an iPad screen.

I just checked this. I downloaded it from App Store. It’s the iPhone version. There still isn’t an iPad version.

....Cheers guys :)

I just assumed that the instagram app was exactly the same for both iPhone and iPad. I'm still on iOS 11.4.1 and will update later today to iOS 12.

You don’t have to publish photos as square format, and haven’t had to do so for a long time.

....Thanks but I know (and posted so earlier).

I don't know about Instagram on iOS 12 yet but I do know that if I upload an image which is 3:2 in portrait orientation, Instagram will crop the image. And that's why I was informing people here that there is an easy-to-use free app (with no adverts) to workaround that. I don't want any of my images cropped by others (except in critique discussion).

....Thanks but I know (and posted so earlier).

I don't know about Instagram on iOS 12 yet but I do know that if I upload an image which is 3:2 in portrait orientation, Instagram will crop the image. And that's why I was informing people here that there is an easy-to-use free app (with no adverts) to workaround that. I don't want any of my images cropped by others (except in critique discussion).

Apologies, I misunderstood.

In any event it's simply down to each of us how we use all online media and what we gain out of it or simply enjoy looking at [What? Me? perv on pretty Insta model girls? - A couple of them are actually friends but there's no harm in looking anyway]

Never judge a book by its cover!

....As a very good example: Inevitably with online activity, there are those in cyberspace who are out to scam or pull you into their naughty pics (it happens on Flickr occasionally) but it's easy to Block them rather than get stressed by it. So one day a very pretty model girl started following me on Instagram and I didn't know her in real life and all my pics are of wildlife and so my first thought that she was up to no good and just fishing for me to Follow her back to ramp up her numbers. But before hitting the Block option I checked her out and then saw she was a Canon shooter as well as a very active model girl (same age as my daughter) based in California.

Long story short, she was raped when she was 16yo and has 'come out' publicly about it and is very very motivated and active in helping others. We occasionally email each other and are online fwends. I'm glad I didn't Block her - Here is her Insta page :

https://www.instagram.com/ashleyobe/

I'm 71yo and I enjoy having friends of all ages. One of the perks of being an older gentleman is that women (the ones with good character) are more open to you because you are obviously no longer in the mating game < This applies more to real life rather than in cyberspace.

She is also incredibly gorgeous!

You can buy brand new PCs with Windows 7 installed?

Apparently so - mine is an Acer, direct from Acer......then set up for me by a friend who does IT stuff for blue chip companies, so I will probably end up with a lorry load of doughnuts tomorrow!

Just a quick FYI...apologies, it doesn't add to the OP or password discussion, but in the interest of accuracy...

1Password can still be purchased as a non-subscription license and used purely with local storage - ie. no cloud syncing. (I'm currently using their latest version 7.2)

1Password strongly pushes you towards a subscription and syncing via their servers as they believe it's the best solution for most 'average/non-techie' users, but it's still fully supported to alternatively use (or a mix of) local storage, WLAN Server sync, Dropbox sync or iCloud sync.

This is half of my problem - I have no idea what any of what you are talking about is...... WLAN, Server synch, Dropbox synch, iCloud synch. It is all gobbledegook.

This is half of my problem - I have no idea what any of what you are talking about is...... WLAN, Server synch, Dropbox synch, iCloud synch. It is all gobbledegook.

A WLAN (Wireless Area Linked Network) is a wireless linked Local network as opposed to the internet - it can use a router to link a number of computers within a limited area - like your home or a business.

These computers do not usually connect to the internet although they may.

And a server is a form of computer which is used extensively to help create the internet and are used inhuge numbers like Google, Microsoft etc, who have millions if them, not counting the NSA !

And synching simply means that all your devices are, in effect, joined together so that you can put photos on say your PC and at the same time they will also be uploaded to the cloud and to your Instagram and Twitter accounts etc.

So In other words it keeps different files on different appliances up to date.

Please, what does any of this actually mean?

Android is an operating system developed by Google and used on mobile phones, and other appliances, just in the same way that Windows 7 is an operating system on a PC or laptop.

SHA256 is what is called a hashing function which is used extensively in cryptography.

A hash is unique in that, unlike an encrypted message a hash cannot be reverse engineered to get the original message.

it consists of a number of HEX characters which represent numbers from 0 to 15.

So the SHA256 hash of "I love Gerbils" is 7ec82d7e5606595b5a7995452749db07685e8429666784eeec1a417e5a5e5b35.

But altering a single character of that phrase will completely change the hash.

And no matter from which source you get the program all hashes of a phrase should all give exactly the same result.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
Android is an operating system developed by Google and used on mobile phones, and other appliances, just in the same way that Windows 7 is an operating system on a PC or laptop.

SHA256 is what is called a hashing function which is used extensively in cryptography.

A hash is unique in that, unlike an encrypted message a hash cannot be reverse engineered to get the original message.

it consists of a number of HEX characters which represent numbers from 0 to 15.

So the SHA256 hash of "I love Gerbils" is 7ec82d7e5606595b5a7995452749db07685e8429666784eeec1a417e5a5e5b35.

But altering a single character of that phrase will completely change the hash.

And no matter from which source you get the program all hashes of a phrase should all give exactly the same result.

Hope that helps a little.

A bit, thank you, but it is all way beyond me. Things have got so bad I can't even work our modern telly. I have given up trying and have to ask one of the lads to turn it on and put it the program I want, because it is just too complicated, I can't actually understand what they try to explain to me about how it all links up. I can still work the wireless, thankfully, so I listen to the radio mostly.

A bit, thank you, but it is all way beyond me. Things have got so bad I can't even work our modern telly. I have given up trying and have to ask one of the lads to turn it on and put it the program I want, because it is just too complicated, I can't actually understand what they try to explain to me about how it all links up. I can still work the wireless, thankfully, so I listen to the radio mostly.
Lol this thread made me laugh (at 4 am)

If using a standard android phone is that complicated, how do you get around LR or your camera?

Also, there was once a time when mobile phones where not cameras, and some cameras had mobile phones built in (Samsung - even had optical zoom).

Now we have mobiles designed by camera manufacturers (Red) and phones that are better and more powerful than cameras (less the optical zoom). For example, my note 9 which is Permanantly with me as opposed to my dslr. It has 2 rear facing lenses and has a pro mode on the camera (full manual). The lenses are made an zeiss, it has image stabilisation and can switch between f1.5 and 2.4.

I agree on Instagram there are a lot of bad photographs etc, but not everyone is professional or wants to spend hundreds on camera kit or lug it around. The filters, yes some are bad. But for the novice the effects are quite nice, especially those that don't want to spend 100+ on a licence for lightroom or learn how to use it. Also since when did our hobby become exclusive?

I do think getting your self some training will help, even at the ripe old age of 50. We even got my late father who was 74 using smart phones. If the type is a problem. Use an iPhone. If a 1 year old can get around it, anyone can.

Please, what does any of this actually mean?
I think it means we have gone massively off-topic!

I would just get a tablet or Android phone and, if you run into problems, ask one of the kids to show you how to get pictures on it from your computer, and then upload them from the Instagram app. Just think of it as another camera accessory - it will probably be less than the price of a lens. But it's probably worth getting a name brand, as some of the cheapest no-name models have been found to come with malware. There are good cheap phones from reputable makers like Motorola, LG, Nokia etc.

Back