Review Installing and using a CISS

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
A few weeks back I bought an Epson 1400 A3+ printer and apart from it being the bees knees the first thing I noticed was how quickly the ink was going down, at the rate it was going I think 12 to 15 A3 photos would empty one or more carts. A set of six genuine Epson carts would cost well over £60 to buy, holding not a lot of ink in each. Reading on the forums here I knew some folk had continuous ink supply systems installed on their printers and I decided to check one out. The one I chose came from CityInk Express (calm down that's city ink, not city Link ;) ) and cost me just under £49 including vat and delivery (oddly enough by City Link, my how I laughed :) ).

It consists of... a block of 6 ink bottles, each holding 100ml, attached by 6 long thin pipes to a block of 6 'cartridges'. There's a plastic bag with 6 air filters, screwdriver, syringe, long needle, short needle (this one is a real needle sharp point etc.), some spare sticky pads and adaptors. The extra bits are obviously to be used to refilling though that's not mentioned anywhere in the instructions, the whole lot comes well packaged in polystyrene and boxed twice.

Installing

First things first, have a mans glance at the instructions, glance again, think jings crivvens! and sit down to read them properly which is not easy, the English is good but the instructions are complicated insofar as they refer to pictures which are far too small to see. Once I'd decided to go ahead and get the ciss installed however I found that doing it was actually far easier in the main than reading about it. The instructions make a meal of things which are really simple to do. for example removing the ink cartridge cover took me all of 30 seconds but is covered by nine seperate (tiny) photographs in the manual, maybe I was just lucky. You can see in the photos below how the system fits and where the bits go, the ink tubes were set to just the right length for my printer and in the end I only had one and a half problems. I didn't seat the cartridge block properly (it's harder than just fitting one single cart) and the printer didn't recognise it so I took it out and refitted it, after I'd refitted it all was well but I didn't sort the tubes out and they got caught up on my first print (moral, check and double check)

Testing

Once the printer had done it's cleaning/loading cycle I did a nozzle check and an alignment check, both spot on. I had printed a full page A3 photograph with the Epson carts before swapping them over so I re printed the same image again exactly as before to see if I could tell any difference between them. There is so little to choose really, the ciss print has slightly lighter shades of brown but quality seems to be spot on, easily as good as the genuine inks.

I'm very happy with the set up so far but will update this in a week or so after I've run a few more prints through it.

The ink bottles sitting to the right of the printer, they reckon it's important to keep them on a level with the printer itself. You can see the pointy air filters I fitted to the tops of the bottles.
ciss_01_bottles.jpg

The cartridges installed, the green pcb sticking up is the Ink reset button, used to tell the printer the ink carts are full if it thinks they are empty.
ciss_02_carts.jpg

The pipes leading across the printer, with the plastic support in place, it fits with some of the sticky pads mentioned above
ciss_03_pipes.jpg

The instruction book and bag of bits, the stoppers bottom right were replaced by the air filters above.
ciss_04_bits.jpg

I`m glad you took the plunge. I have a 1400 as well and was looking at a ciss but heard a few bad reviews of clogged heads and iffy colours ( no doubt posted by Epson to dissuade ciss use and keep their profits up, allegedley)

I would be very interested in regular updates before I take the plunge, just bought a couple new sets of epson carts which last longer than the original ones, so I will wait till they run out before getting the ciss kit.
£49 sounds mighty cheap especially as it includes the ink.
I think Marrutt are developing a system for the 1400, but their prices are very high. About £200 for the R1800 system.

Get printing......

Allan

Yessir! :)

Printing is still faultless, I've run a few trials of images printed with original ink and the ciss ink. I've got a couple sitting in the sun just now (well they would be if it wasn't hissing down but they have had 2 or 3 days in very strong sun so far) which I'm leaving for a week or so to check for image fade on both types. I'll report back on that in a few days.

What about gray tones? Have you printed any B&W on them? Do they have any color cast?

Oddly enough no I hadn't tried any BW. I have just run off a couple prints on high gloss paper since I think that's where problems show most. At first I thought they looked a bit warm, quite nice actually, but it was the room lighting. I took them to a window and checked them in natural light, there's no sign of a colour cast nor of any metalling though granted neither print has large black areas.

Last edited:
Just checked the prints I had sitting in sunlight and there's an odd thing. No discernable difference between either the Epson print or the CISS print on the inked areas but the white unprinted border on each has yellowed noticably versus those left in the dark. So it seems the ink does well, but the Canon matt paper doesn't.

Because I Do use Ciss for more than a year and the only thing which bother me is a problem with printing B&W as it makes greenish cast .... So I recon thats my`s printers fault as has only 6 inks ... so only 1 black to make gradient ...

Same in the 1400 m8, 1 black, 5 other colours.

The printer in the media office at my school. has a CISS. It is really good but doesnt half clutter the desk! There really usefull though especially like Steep said. It drains the ink out!

I would reccomend a CISS to anyone!

Hi STEEP
How are the inks performing, how many prints have you done and any problems with clogging at all?
Allan

All is well Allan, I don't print a lot, ran one off yesterday after three or four days of not printing anything, it started in straight away and printed spot on. I was quite impressed that it didn't need a couple of minutes cleaning cycle first, though that might be down to the newness of the printer.

Nice to hear, I need some more ink for mine so just ordered the same CISS as yours. I am going to be doing a lot of printing, got quite a few print orders, all at A3, so it will be a good test.

Allan

Looks like something to save up for as my R1800 can be a bit of a hungry bugger.

Could you not get genuine inks in bulk to refill the CISS with?

I`m not sure if the main manufacturers ( Epson HO Canon etc ) sell bulk inks, they discourage refilling by fitting chips on the cartridges that will tell the printer its empty even when you refill them.
Anyway, My CISS kit came last week, just waiting for the old inks to run out before i fit it. I did lots of prints on the original inks so i can see if there is any difference in colours and tones. I suspect there will be very little difference!

Allan

Could you not get genuine inks in bulk to refill the CISS with?

Can't think why I would want to to be honest. The inks I'm using are pefectly fine.

I have been using a Fotospeed continuous ink system and Fotospeed paper with my Epson 1400 for about 18 months and find it works well. There is a free profiling service from Fotospeed for purchasers of their paper and that works well too.

My only slight problem is B+W which has a consistent (slight) green colour cast which needs correcting before printing. Interestingly this was noted here...

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson 1400/Page_7.html

...by Vincent Oliver at Photo-i (an excellent site for all things printing) when reviewing the Epson 1400 with Epson inks.

Anthony.

I have been using a CISS on my R300 for a couple of years. I have an R2400 now and will be going down the same route. B&W is often a problem but the R1400 wasn't perfect for B&W even before the CISS that is why I bought the R2400. The big difference in price between the CISSs that I have seen is the quality of the inks. Does your CISS come with calibration files for different papers?

Update on the CISS. I installed it fine and have already produced loads of prints. I had a customer on Sunday looking for some prints and I already had some of the same subject printed out on the original Epson inks. I showed her the original Epson ones and the ones I had done with the new inks. She chose the new inks saying they seemed brighter and sharper!
Well, thats good enough for me!
I have one problem though, the ink tubes seem to get tangled up on the left hand side when the cartridge carrier comes back from under the plastic frame.
I need to check the adjustment, if only i can find the book!
Allan

I have the same problem now and again Allan, the pipes seem to twist slightly and loop over the edge of the print head bringing it to a crunching halt. I release them and it works fine again.

the cuss I'm using has supports to stop that happening. Which ciss did you get

This one has supports as well, you can see in the third picture up top ^, I reckon it's down to the placing/angle of the support but I've not tried that hard to solve the problem as it's not been a major hassle.

I reckon its the angle of the cartridge carrier that the tubes pass over that causes it to twist slightly and get caught under the printer frame on the left. i will have a go at squaring it up to see if that helps.
I also emailed cityink to see if they have any suggestions
Allan

Just a quick update on my twisting tubes.
I tried various combinations of amount of slack to leave, but get the twisting / catching most days. I worry now the printer will get damaged.
Cityinkexpress responded really quickly to my email and asked me to send the system back for a full refund. Cant fault that!
So, I need to look for a system where the tubes dont get stuck, but they all look similarly made.
Off to Google.....
Allan

I swapped the sticky pads for some sticky velcro ones to make it easier to adjust the support arm, setting it a bit further forward cuts down the number of jams. I printed two 50 page manuals the other day and it caught twice.

I've not tried it yet but I reckon a length of elastic mounted across underneath the tubes, forward of the edge of the support will keep the tubes in line and allow full travel.

Also I discovered the smoked perspex section of the lid is removeable and with it off and the lid shut the tubes are held slightly better. I reckon they are just a bit too soft, if they were stiffer they wouldn't twist so easily.

CISS's are great, i have a cheapo one from City Ink on the HP multi function printer, cant remember the model number now and that is superb now i have profiled the ink to the paper i use.

Also have a Permajet Ink Supply on my Epson R2880 which was expensive, well it was £250 just for the ink supply but the quality of it is great, i have a few niggles with it though, like everytime you turn the power off on the printer the chips need resetting by pressing on 2 microswitches, also if you want to change to matt ink you have to take the block of chips out to just change 1 cartridge. Other than that it is fine, but the ink is more matte than the original epson stuff which Permajet said is what there ink is like to stop the bronzing.

i just installed ciss on epson rx685 and it works great,book that came with ciss not so good but found loads of vids on u tube to show how to fit it, just looked for epson 1400 and the tubes do cross over a lot
graham

since i installed my ciss on a epson r280 not had any blocked tubes. even when i had my 3 week holidays in nov/dec last yr. came back and business as usual.
still using same ink i got with it,
think ive had it in almost 12 months.
about £22 off ebay

I have been running a old Epson r200 for a number of years now purchased from
Ink Express.co.uk
http://inkexpress.co.uk/?p=Home

And I can Highly Recommend them there service is 2nd to none.
Nothing is ever to much trouble should you have and kind of problem I have lost count of the number of people I have sent to them and everyone has been delighted.

NOTE
It really does pay to run off a single sheet of plain paper each week if your not printing photographs on a regular basis with winter approaching heating systems will be getting turned on and if your printer is kept in a warm room the heads can soon dry up and clog on any printer with or with out a CISS fitted.

Which system did you get?

Anyone recommend any particular systems (particualrly for use with any exhibition/competition/high quality A3 printers doing black and white and colour?)

(Edit: Ooops, saw this in latest posts and read it as a new thread! Anyway, still if any one has any info to add! :))

Last edited:
for B&W you really need a printer with more than one black. you can get better B&W with a decent profile but it is not quite the same as the multiblack I have in my R2400.

Back