InsTLR Project

assume you have the removable film holder, what is the maxium image cover that you can get on the instax mini film. i suppose 56 mm? You decide to go this route because you don't want to damage the camera right? what if i take a dremel and cut the film holder side down to 4mm :) ?

assume you have the removable film holder, what is the maxium image cover that you can get on the instax mini film. i suppose 56 mm? You decide to go this route because you don't want to damage the camera right? what if i take a dremel and cut the film holder side down to 4mm :) ?

If you trimmed down the film gate, I'd imagine the lens will cover the full length of the instax film. There may be some light fall off or sharpness drop but I doubt it would be much or that noticeable.

As a 'mark 2', I'm looking to use a TLR with a removable insert so I can print a complete replacement and mount the Instax holder 4-5mm closer to the lens so the actual film matches the lens flange depth. Ideally, it will still need no modifications to the body but until I can take some measurements I won't know for sure.

I see that Fujifilm have announced their first square Instax film camera today, the SQ10;

https://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/news/art...the-first-square-format-hybrid-instant-camera

This one's billed as a digital/analogue hybrid but as far as I can see it's basically a 3mp 1/4" digital camera that outputs 1920x1920 images and an Instax printer combined. The lens doesn't actually pass any light direct to the film so I'm not sure what I make of it. Apparently there's going to be a second body which is purely analogue so hopefully that will reduce the price (this one is $280!). I'd like to use the film in a proper camera but I know it won't fit a TLR due to the film being 62mmx62mm so is too wide.

Hi Steve , this guy did a pretty good job of combining Ricohflex with instax back, according to him, infinity is still retained and it looks pretty neat
https://www.facebook.com/yohsuke.narabayashi
So your vision of taking a TLR with a removable film holder is very true.
I wish i had money to buy the ricohflex, but the only TLR i can afford is flexaret :( , i got it for 20 euro.
Do you have any advice for me if my plan is to take out the 2 lens, groundglass ( with flexaret, there can be taken out as a single group ) and building literally a simple box. it would be very similar to the DUO TLR instax .
thanks

Hi Steve , this guy did a pretty good job of combining Ricohflex with instax back, according to him, infinity is still retained and it looks pretty neat
https://www.facebook.com/yohsuke.narabayashi
So your vision of taking a TLR with a removable film holder is very true.
I wish i had money to buy the ricohflex, but the only TLR i can afford is flexaret :( , i got it for 20 euro.
Do you have any advice for me if my plan is to take out the 2 lens, groundglass ( with flexaret, there can be taken out as a single group ) and building literally a simple box. it would be very similar to the DUO TLR instax .
thanks

Thanks for that. Strangely, he liked a post I put up about the InsTLR this morning on an Instax group.

If you wanted to take the lenses/wlf and fit them into a new case you'd have to make sure it stayed square to keep the film plane level. Personally, if you're happy changing the camera permanently, you would probably be better just cutting back the existing face where the film is fitted to account for the extra 4mm needed for Instax then graft a donor Instax mini camera onto the Flexaret.

Hi! Sorry to revive an old thread but I am extremely interested in this project. I stumbled upon it through a blog post on the thephoblographer. Would you be able to share your CAD files? I would love to attempt to build my own version.

Back