Insurance help (PROBLEM GETTING COVER) Small Rant

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Before you say it, search would not help this!

I have been looking to get camera insurance, my main areas of shooting is Live Music and extreme sports (skateboarding etc.).

I had sorted insurance with Aaduki, they said they would cover it, took the policy out etc. They then emailed the next day to say they needed clarification on what extreme sports were on email this morning. Replied straight away, heard nothing. Phone for the person who emailed me, she had left for the day, asked if anyone else could help, lines were busy, someone would call me right back.

3 hours later after 2 more attempts to call and talk to someone I had enough. Already not happy that I had paid and was insured yesterday, but now they were questioning it did not make me happy. Add to this 3 hours of sorry it is busy and you will be called in the order in which your call came in, someone will call you I had enough.

I phoned to cancel my policy. Suprisingly someone was available straight away. Unpleasant experience all round, especially since i could have gone to an event this weekend after sorting cover, and if anything had happened been left to find i was not covered.

I then contacted Glover and Howe who said their underwriters would not insure me for extreme sports.

I phoned Photo shield through Windover Howson, but they wanted £465 per year, and this was before them checking if I would be covered for extreme sports.

So. Does anyone know who would does cover that will cover extreme sports like Skateboarding and BMX? I need to get cover, so anyone any idea who else to use. I know someone who had a bad experience with Photo guard and had a nightmare paying out. Someone help me all I want is to insure my gear without having to pay a stupidly high premium or not be covered for half of my work.

The worst of it is, I have had way more near misses with live music that I ever have with extreme sports, but such is life.

Someone must know who I could try.

Sorry for the rant and cheers

Carl

Why not say it's for skateboarding and BMX, rather than Extreme Sports? (i.e. Don't mention the extreme bit, 'cos they're not that extreme)

Why not say it's for skateboarding and BMX, rather than Extreme Sports? (i.e. Don't mention the extreme bit, 'cos they're not that extreme)

This is exactly what I was going to say - underwriters will hear the description "extreme" and that will automatically set alarm bells ringing.

Obviously disclose the true information but describe it as covering sports events such as skateboarding rather than extreme sports.

I have to say, my thoughts were 'since when were skateboarding and BMX extreme sports?' when reading the OP.

Now if you were photographing Extreme Tiddley-Winks or something like that, they might have a justifiable concern... :)

Yep I agree - I bet they hear "extreme sports" as you riding a bmx behind and getting the shots or getting the show from above via a bungee jump!

Ring them and tell them younger covering bik/skateboarde events of the participants - I bet the premium and acceptance follow :)

I got mine on the house insurance. either £2,500 or £4,000
around £37 - £70 a year
Very easy

They do know that you will not be ON the skateboard with the camera don't they?

I am sure that if you explain specifically what you are photographing you will get cover. Not had any probs with Aaduki myself.

Try Photoguard, been with them three years with no probs and they came up with free insurance for the camera we all bought for Wheels :)

I know a few snowsports photographers who are with Aduki. I am with PhotoGuard myself. You shouldn't need to go into specifics with them. They insure your gear for photography and that's it. If you give them any reason to think you're more likely to damage your gear (whether or not that's actually the case) then you give them an excuse to bump up your premium.

They do know that you will not be ON the skateboard with the camera don't they?

Yeah explained I will be not on the skateboard, but I did say I will be stood on the ramp platforms etc. taking pics, as this is what I do a lot of the time. Might give a cpl a ring back and see. Who do people use and recommend? I know this thing has been done a million times before, but need to get this sorted, as a cpl big events coming up.

simply business if you're doing it as a business? or are you just after standard run of the mill type cover?

could try towergate but they're bloody expensive last i checked

Dude, if you ring up and starting saying scary words like EXTREME to them, what do you think they're going to do?

Just give them your list of kit and pay the quote. Duh.

They don't stipulate in their standard terms and conditions that EXTREME SPORTS are not covered nor do they ask you what you're doing with the kit. I lost some kit with Glover Howe descending a mountain and they covered it no problems. I suspect if I had told them when I asked for a quote "But do you definately cover EXTREME ROCK CLIMBING?!" they might have refused me cover, as it sounds like I intend to loose the kit.

Stop causing problems for yourself, jeez.

Dude, if you ring up and starting saying scary words like EXTREME to them, what do you think they're going to do?

Just give them your list of kit and pay the quote. Duh.

They don't stipulate in their standard terms and conditions that EXTREME SPORTS are not covered nor do they ask you what you're doing with the kit. I lost some kit with Glover Howe descending a mountain and they covered it no problems. I suspect if I had told them when I asked for a quote "But do you definately cover EXTREME ROCK CLIMBING?!" they might have refused me cover, as it sounds like I intend to loose the kit.

Stop causing problems for yourself, jeez.

Yeah had a mate that did that, had to fight for months to get the claim processed. Not wanting to risk it. Sounds like I may as well have. Ah well live and learn ring around to see, but who to ring?

Has anyone know how imaging insurance are to deal with? Very good on the phone, just wondered if anyone had claimed?

I used to be with Imaging Insurance but looking at the restrictive clauses in their policy (inc. so-called extreme sport etc.) I moved to Windover Howsen. The new policy is £200 more for me but if I need to claim at least I know I will get reasonable consideration, unlike the T&Cs of Imaging.

Pay ya money, take ya chances.

Have you tried the one that comes with EOS magazine - County Insurance Services. Don't know how much you are wanting covered but rates range from £2k - £50 upwards.

Back