Interesting Polaroid story

Read this the other day.

I’ve been shooting Polaroids ok and off for a few years using the Impossible Project film. Bought a load just before they rebranded to Polaroid Originals and have just got a box of that to shoot, as well as picking up some of the Fuji peel apart stuff.

It’s still very relevant, beautiful and an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Ive been mulling over getting a polaroid since the Cornwall meet. Mmm, still mulling.

Ive been mulling over getting a polaroid since the Cornwall meet. Mmm, still mulling.

What's stopping you? What kind of Polaroid? So many cool cameras to choose from! I love mine and am trying to shoot them more but the main one is the SX-70 Sonar. It's awesome!

What's stopping you? What kind of Polaroid? So many cool cameras to choose from! I love mine and am trying to shoot them more but the main one is the SX-70 Sonar. It's awesome!

Mainly that there are so many choices, I can't make my mind up which one. Also cost of film. I do keep coming back to the SX-70 though, it does seem to be the top of the tree. :)

Mainly that there are so many choices, I can't make my mind up which one. Also cost of film. I do keep coming back to the SX-70 though, it does seem to be the top of the tree. :)

It's definitely up there with the best. Feels well made and has a glass lens so the image quality is better. Cost of film can be a little issue but we're in the film section here :D

A week or so ago I decided to treat myself to treat myself to a Mint Sx-70 for my 37th orbit round the sun.

Ever since i've been refreshing hk post tracking site...

Great stuff. Look forward to seeing some images from it.

A week or so ago I decided to treat myself to treat myself to a Mint Sx-70 for my 37th orbit round the sun.

Ever since i've been refreshing hk post tracking site...
I'm currently in the "worrying" phase of the shipping process.
Its not moved, its not gone to royal mail for tracking, a notice on hk post website says services suspended to GB l. Mint have not really helped put my mind at ease etc etc

I'm intrigued to know what it is about polaroid film that makes people want to use it?

I don't own a polaroid (or other brand) instant camera, but I have been tempted. To be honest, it's the cost per shot that kinda puts me off more than anything.

As for appeal, for me personally there's a certain dagree of nostalgia because Polaroids were commonplace during my childhood, and nostalgia always tends to have an appeal (to me, at least). There's also the look - there's a lo-fi dreamy quality to the images that's nice and has a place of its own. Plus there's the fact that they're instant but also permanent in a way that digital shots aren't - while it's easy to take similar shots digitally, and also make them look like Polaroids (using various apps and presets), I doubt I'd go to the trouble of printing them out and sticking them to the fridge or whatever in the same way I would with a physical print straight from the camera (althoughphysical prints are more work to share online).

Last edited:
I'm intrigued to know what it is about polaroid film that makes people want to use it?

Instant results as Steve says, as well as having a tangible, tactile thing to grab hold of as soon as it comes out the camera. Aside from that, the same reasons I shoot film over digital and shoot Super 8 over digital video.

I guess from your post that you don't see the point of Polaroid, or would that be a wrong assumption? There's something about watching the image appear that is still magical, whether that's with the new stuff which takes a little longer, Instax (which I am not keen on) or the peel apart stuff which I still have in the fridge. There's a reason Instax are selling loads at the moment and it's absolutely not a nostalgic thing.

I don't own a polaroid (or other brand) instant camera, but I have been tempted. To be honest, it's the cost per shot that kinda puts me off more than anything.

As for appeal, for me personally there's a certain dagree of nostalgia because Polaroids were commonplace during my childhood, and nostalgia always tends to have an appeal (to me, at least). There's also the look - there's a lo-fi dreamy quality to the images that's nice and has a place of its own. Plus there's the fact that they're instant but also permanent in a way that digital shots aren't - while it's easy to take similar shots digitally, and also make them look like Polaroids (using various apps and presets), I doubt I'd go to the trouble of printing them out and sticking them to the fridge or whatever in the same way I would with a physical print straight from the camera (although they're more work to share online).

You posted as I was typing. My not nostalgia comment wasn't aimed at your post as I hadn't read it yet. :D

You make some good points though. As for cost per photo, it isn't much different to me shooting 67 now with factoring in cost of film and lab develop and scan.

You posted as I was typing. My not nostalgia comment wasn't aimed at your post as I hadn't read it yet. :D

No worries - I didn't think it was aimed at me. :) The nostalgia thing is only really going to come into play if you're old enough (as I am) I suppose.

You make some good points though. As for cost per photo, it isn't much different to me shooting 67 now with factoring in cost of film and lab develop and scan.

It's still a little more expensive for me - a roll of MF costs me about £12 for the film and process (as I scan myself). But, as I said, I'm still tempted and have even considered putting one of the new Poloaroid cameras on my Christmas list.

No worries - I didn't think it was aimed at me. :) The nostalgia thing is only really going to come into play if you're old enough (as I am) I suppose.

It's still a little more expensive for me - a roll of MF costs me about £12 for the film and process (as I scan myself). But, as I said, I'm still tempted and have even considered putting one of the new Poloaroid cameras on my Christmas list.

I’m old enough to remember! My 635CL was a gift from my Nan maybe 25 years ago.

The new One Step 2 looks good actually but I LOVE my SX-70. As for the cost, I’ve started buying in bulk so when it comes to shooting, I’ve forgotten about the outlay. Ha!

Instant results as Steve says, as well as having a tangible, tactile thing to grab hold of as soon as it comes out the camera. Aside from that, the same reasons I shoot film over digital and shoot Super 8 over digital video.

I guess from your post that you don't see the point of Polaroid, or would that be a wrong assumption? There's something about watching the image appear that is still magical, whether that's with the new stuff which takes a little longer, Instax (which I am not keen on) or the peel apart stuff which I still have in the fridge. There's a reason Instax are selling loads at the moment and it's absolutely not a nostalgic thing.

I was trying to understand what would make someone use such a form in an age when images are available for viewing 'instantly' with digital. Even when polaroids were first available and it was 'amazing' to have an image develop before your eyes, I used to be 'polaroid averse' and for me there is no charm. Not to throw stones at anyone, but I was intrigued no know why some very serious and able photographers were using it.

I was trying to understand what would make someone use such a form in an age when images are available for viewing 'instantly' with digital. Even when polaroids were first available and it was 'amazing' to have an image develop before your eyes, I used to be 'polaroid averse' and for me there is no charm. Not to throw stones at anyone, but I was intrigued no know why some very serious and able photographers were using it.

Ah well you see I also can't understand why people use pinhole cameras, brownies, Polaroid and cine film etc ...and the general answer is usually "a bit of fun" ;)

As you say, there are some very serious photographers using Polaroid now and have been for many years.

Instantly with digital? You mean instantly on a 3” screen or instantly when you get home and process them? Either way, it’s still pixels on a screen. A Polaroid is real and tangible and has used a chemical reaction to create an image where light has the film. It’s a very real and serious tool in image creation and long may it continue. It embraces the imperfections of film.

Ah well you see I also can't understand why people use pinhole cameras, brownies, Polaroid and cine film etc ...and the general answer is usually "a bit of fun" ;)

I don’t see it as ‘a bit of fun’, Brian. I enjoy it, and yes it should be and is fun, but to dismiss it as inferior is an ignorant attitude unfortunate which a lot of people seem to hold.

I’ve just finished scanning my 32 Polaroids that I shot between L.A. and San Francisco. I can get them out, pass them around and I know they will be in a shoebox in many years to come. Thy are all slightly different, all imperfect and all beautiful. I also received my Super 8 back from the same trip yesterday. I’m just sourcing Music to but to accompany it which I will pay for and the whole thing will stand me at about £90 for three minutes of video. I can project the uncut film if I wish.
It’s imperfect and beautiful and is a proper tool for a lot of serious cinematographers, hence why Kodak are launching a new one and why Polaroid Originals exists, because to a lot of people, it’s more than ‘a bit of fun’.

@Andysnap I can bring my SX-70 for you to have a go with if you like, just need to stock up with some fillum. Note to Mods, this is not off forum dodgy sales dealing, unlike most of my kit this is not for sale ;)

I also have a 600 type Polaroid somewhere as well.

Last edited:
I have a Polaroid 1000 in the loft @Andysnap if you'd like to borrow that to have a go with? Also not for sale, as it was my Xmas pressie around 1976 but it might put you off instant photos enough to save you some money! ;)

Its tactile, its instant, its fun :)
Ok it's not cheap but neither medium format or large format (go large on Polaroid 8x10 and its £160 a box + processor @£1000)

I've got lots of Polaroid cameras. I was picking them up at boot sales for £1.
I've also got 4 of the pogo printers, which are fun with my dslr, as you connect direct to the camera and print credit card prints.
They were perfect for giving away to families etc when I was abroad
I managed to pick up a job lot of the print paper as well for a song.

I’ve brought along my Instax Mini 90 and 4 packs of mini film to Florida because I wanted to get some ‘different’ results of my two monsters meeting the characters. The Disney photographers all shoot digital at the same time so I know we’ll have those as well so it’s been good to get some Instant results too. I’m also able to write on the picture when/where it was taken so in years to come we will know without having to rely on the folder structure on my cloud storage!

I’m never going to shoot as much Instax as digital/120 because I can’t help but compare the results but as a unique alternative I think Instax is excellent.

Back