International eBay buyer with no feedback?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve listed a Sony 16-35 on eBay and it’s been bought and paid for by a member ( since 2018) with no feedback and location as USA.

It’s paid for by PayPal and the shipping address is an eBay internal shipping hub ( in the Uk).

I don’t sell much on eBay, and it’s all (currently) above board, but I’m wondering what sort of protection I have as a seller if this goes wrong?

Once it reaches the ebay hub you're sorted as it's then down to ebay

Once it reaches the ebay hub you're sorted as it's then down to ebay
I`ve sold a bit on ebay but only UK and like most, always a bit concerned when someone with 0 FB buys an item.

Assume ebay don`t check the item?
USA buyer could claim package was empty/had 1/2 brick instead of a lens?

First of all, a buyer having zero feedback - no way. Let them build up their score elsewhere. But you have to state your restrictions at point of sale - ie in the ad, & it's too late.

Likewise, you can make clear your country restrictions. You want to sell to Russia, Africa, Syria, wherever - it's up to you.

Seems like you're locked into the deal now, meaning you've got to take the chance.

I`ve sold a bit on ebay but only UK and like most, always a bit concerned when someone with 0 FB buys an item.

Would it be possible to get a witness at the post office? I suppose it depends on the OP's relationship with them but if they're willing to sign something saying that they saw a Sony lens in the box before it was sealed in their presence that could stop the brick accusation? Maybe?

Anyone could make that claim though.

When sending to the Ebay shipping centre, Ebay open the package and check the contents are as sold and in good order, they then repackage and ship to
the customers address, the 0 feedback thing is slightly suspect to me, as the lens they are buying is almost certainly cheaper in the US
Having said that you will be covered by Ebay, so no worries.

I’ve listed a Sony 16-35 on eBay and it’s been bought and paid for by a member ( since 2018) with no feedback and location as USA.

It’s paid for by PayPal and the shipping address is an eBay internal shipping hub ( in the Uk).

I don’t sell much on eBay, and it’s all (currently) above board, but I’m wondering what sort of protection I have as a seller if this goes wrong?
Don't do it!! I've worked in e-commerce for almost 20 years and know the tricks!! The purchaser will claim non receipt and you won't have any way to defend yourself!!

Don't do it!! I've worked in e-commerce for almost 20 years and know the tricks!! The purchaser will claim non receipt and you won't have any way to defend yourself!!
Surely if Ebay deals with the shipping, then they would be responsible for non delivery though?

Surely if Ebay deals with the shipping, then they would be responsible for non delivery though?

International trade on eBay has to be the most unsafe method of selling out there!! International buyers purchase on eBay knowing that they can get away with fraud. I even had punters talk to me on the phone and admit they only buy on eBay because they can get their item and get a refund too!! Recorded calls of the punter saying that don't even get taken seriously by eBay - Joke!!

The most common one - is selling something and sending it international signed for / tracked with extra compensation. Tracking shows that the parcel had a failed delivery is waiting for collection - the buyer claims non receipt and that the delivery office can't find the parcel. Once they get their money back, collect the parcel from their local delivery office. As a seller you lose your money, and you may even get negative feedback too!! Forget trying to get eBay to reverse the refund!! The buyer of course says they know nothing, or blank you - and Royal Mail won't entertain a claim - you lose!!

Last edited:
Only had one interntional buyer, from Italy ... went through the eBay Interntional Shipping Programme and everything went absolutely fine. :)

Only had one interntional buyer, from Italy ... went through the eBay Interntional Shipping Programme and everything went absolutely fine. :)
]
Don't get me wrong you will get transactions that work out fine but if it's a lot of money that you are not willing to take a gamble on, I just wouldn't
Italy Israel & Greece were found to be the largest losses for us - and we sent hundreds of items a week. It got so bad we blocked those countries as well as Portugal, India and all of Africa. Not being racist (I'm part African myself) but when the figures show the losses, and the percentage of claim backs, we had to react!!

]
Don't get me wrong you will get transactions that work out fine but if it's a lot of money that you are not willing to take a gamble on, I just wouldn't
Italy Israel & Greece were found to be the largest losses for us - and we sent hundreds of items a week. It got so bad we blocked those countries as well as Portugal, India and all of Africa. Not being racist (I'm part African myself) but when the figures show the losses, and the percentage of claim backs, we had to react!!
Over £2k sale :)
Only issues I've had have been from UK.

Last edited:
Last year i sold an £800 lens to a buyer in germany through the Ebay shipping program, sent it to the stafford shipping hub by RMSD.
A few days later the buyer contacted me to say the front of the lens was damaged, i had packaged the lens so it would survive a bomb blast.
I contacted the Ebay concierge service, and they explained that no matter how well i had packaged the lens, it was opened and repacked in stafford and forwarded on the the german buyer.
outcome was Ebay refunded the buyer, buyer left me positive feedback, as damage was solely down to Ebay.
This has definately put me off shipping outside the uk, although i must have shipped 30+ high value items over the last few years.

First of all, a buyer having zero feedback - no way. Let them build up their score elsewhere. But you have to state your restrictions at point of sale - ie in the ad, & it's too late.

Likewise, you can make clear your country restrictions. You want to sell to Russia, Africa, Syria, wherever - it's up to you.

Seems like you're locked into the deal now, meaning you've got to take the chance.

I don't think you can refuse to sell to buyers with zero feedback

B & H have them for sale @ 1300 dollars, how much did it go for if I may ask, personally I would not ship it, especially with zero feedback over two years. Just refund him the money and don't ship it.

I sold a lot of stuff on Ebay but stopped about 6 years ago when I noticed the increasing number of disputes being reported. To be fair my sales ranged up to the £1,000 mark and I had no problems that weren't genuine so I have no personal complaint to make.

I’ve messaged the seller and he’s actually located in Sweden.

He’s provided me with his address (although I am still shipping to the eBay hub) and comes across as genuine.

Surely if I send RMSD to the eBay hub and it’s received there and signed for, then I should be covered from that point onwards?

He’s provided me with his address (although I am still shipping to the eBay hub) and comes across as genuine.

Surely if I send RMSD to the eBay hub and it’s received there and signed for, then I should be covered from that point onwards?
Are you shipping to their registered address?

My worry would be that should something go wrong it will be harder to resolve - particularly with involvement of various bodies. Even with the buyer being genuine - if there is a delay and he decides to get his money back there is the possibility you maybe debited or required to prove delivery to eBay even although the issue is on the other side. If eBay can find a way of getting out of paying for the lens then they will take it. So if the signature is not recognised by eBay after delivery to them, or Royal Mail forget to get a signature or sign it themselves on delivery - or there is a mixup with the item that is repacked or something is omitted - even if things are proven otherwise after the refund has been taken from you - eBay will leave you to recover the funds from the buyer yourself who although may have your item, may decide not to pay you and keep it anyway - particularly if there has been a lot of delay / heartache.

Last edited:
A first time buyer buying an expensive item? not impossible but most people buy small things first to get the feel of it. I'd be a bit wary, not sure what you can do now. I don't know if you can contact ebay and tell them your concerns.
Whats the position if the item is damaged before sending, say you dropped in while packing it , I assume the sale is canceled in a case like that or you discover a fault with it?

Absolutely have no fears as long as you’ve got proof you sent it to eBay hub and they inspect it and rewrap it then all is dandy. All that said I think it’s a scam but you will be covered.

I sold a nikon DSLR on the global program a month or so back , sold to Italy .. sent it off to GSP depot and was then notified it was a stolen/unauthorised account . panic mode set in but after phoning e/bay who could not stop it off it went .. but e/bay-paypal seller protection covered me and I never lost a penny .

the only thing I find a bit suspect in the o.p's one though is did he list it for sale in the e/bay GSP program initially it should be going to there depot nowhere else .. a buyer cant ask for the GSP service only the seller and should have a hash tag tracking number .

this is what your PayPal invoice receipt should look like
Buyer
andrea trambusti
trambu15
andrea.trambusti@tiscali.it Note to seller
The buyer hasn't sent a note. Delivery address
Reference# A21314558579IT
andrea trambusti
GSP, Unit 3 Dove CL, Fradley Pk
LICHFIELD,Staffordshire
WS13 8UR
United Kingdom

this was the stolen account one btw .and thats the only address it should be going to

Last edited:
eBay automatically enables GSP unless you tell it otherwise

I sold a nikon DSLR on the global program a month or so back , sold to Italy .. sent it off to GSP depot and was then notified it was a stolen/unauthorised account . panic mode set in but after phoning e/bay who could not stop it off it went .. but e/bay-paypal seller protection covered me and I never lost a penny .

the only thing I find a bit suspect in the o.p's one though is did he list it for sale in the e/bay GSP program initially it should be going to there depot nowhere else .. a buyer cant ask for the GSP service only the seller and should have a hash tag tracking number .

this is what your PayPal invoice receipt should look like
Buyer
andrea trambusti
trambu15
andrea.trambusti@tiscali.it Note to seller
The buyer hasn't sent a note. Delivery address
Reference# A21314558579IT
andrea trambusti
GSP, Unit 3 Dove CL, Fradley Pk
LICHFIELD,Staffordshire
WS13 8UR
United Kingdom

this was the stolen account one btw .and thats the only address it should be going to

Yeah that’s how it looks, I only know the actual Swedish address because I contacted the buyer.

I may very well have listed it in the GSP program without realising it, I posted the listing from my phone.

I’ve spoken to eBay who have assured me all looks legit so I’m gonna go for it!

I’ll report back with the results.....

Just realised I forgot to update this thread!

All went smoothly, the seller received the lens ok.

No feedback received from him, but half the people on eBay don’t seem to these days.
Good to hear it was without issues. :)

Thing to remember when using eBay's GSP, you're fully covered once they process the item, they will cover the item against any kind of damage even above and beyond most couriers (i.e. glass) once they've sent it on. So based on personal experience, it's the safest way to send anything as it offers more protections, you just need to go through the support process.

However that just covers you against the item being damaged or lost in transit after leaving the GSP hub, if you really are dealing with someone trying to rip you off they can say it's faulty etc then you're on the hook, if they're smart about it they'll just claim shipping damage so everyone walks away happy (besides eBay) but my point is there's still some risk involved.

Good to hear it worked out without any issues.

I rarely use eBay. And the last time I looked my 100% positive record had dropped to zero. On checking I discovered that this was because I hadn’t bought or sold anything for over 12 months. So it’s perfectly possible to be a long-standing eBayer with a perfect history and zero feedback.

Back