Internet Radio

Name
Errr Pete?
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Bose Soundtouch 20 WiFi speaker. Superb sound quality (without being a state of the art Hi Fi) from spotify and MP3 music stored on my NAS. Is it also an internet radio which is convenient for listening to our local BBC station. But now the transmissions are being repeatedly interrupted by an announcement (Not exact wording but along the lines of: -) "Later in 2023 all local radio stations will be removed from this service, contact your radio manufacturer to see if they are supplying an update so you can continue listening to local BBC radio"

Can anyone enlighten me as to what's going to happen, having googled this, there is very little around (I may be putting the wrong search terms in, I accept).

Pete

Last edited:
Here we go Pete ;)

Last edited:
I use TuneIn via Bluesound Node (Bluos) and I just checked their website and they say they are working on integrating the new setup.

Probably worth checking the Bose website Pete as I am sure people have shared their concerns directly with Bose.

I’m having a similar problem but speakers are wired not WiFi. I’m thinking of getting a Bluetooth receiver to plug into the speakers and send from bbc sounds app on the phone or iPad. Worth checking with the manufacturer as above.

Thank you all for replying, it's so confusing. Moggi I've checked the Bose website, but as it's an American company, can't find a thing on there.

Thanks gramps, but still can't find anything.

Pete

google tells me your speaker is using the radio restreaming service "vtuner" for the radio which is the same source for my kit. I doubt they will be able to adapt to the changes being made by the bbc, but maybe they can. If I can find out anything I'll post again here.

My Marantz network audio device uses vtuner also for internet radio, so I hope there will be a solution to this.

Thank you Trevor, I use that app. The app gives me a choice of two radio services to listen to stations, RadioPlayer and TuneIn, which, both let you choose from a multitude of internet radio stations. I think it's the BBC that's creating this turmoil, as they can deny these radio services access to BBC stations.

Pete.

Reactions: zx9
I know it might be a silly question. But can you not link it up via iPlayer?

I know it might be a silly question. But can you not link it up via iPlayer?
Right, this is what I’m planning to do for my setup. I think it will need only a Bluetooth receiver at most.

Right, this is what I’m planning to do for my setup. I think it will need only a Bluetooth receiver at most.
Last time I did something similar. It was ubtube on phone to BT receiver , into amp. That worked well (y)

I have a Roberts internet radio similar to this

Link

Bought from John Lewis -- cost about £160 three years ago
Thousands of radio stations easily available from around the world
Sound is average to good -- OK for me

Last edited:
We’ve been hearing this too, but have so far been ignoring it for clarity.

But, having just seen this thread thought I’d do some digging to see if I could help.

From the link shared above, BBC are going across to HLS and DASH

The SoundTouch 10 can stream HLS via a custom URL option.

I googled ‘what is the URL for BBC Radio 2 live stream’. (Presumably a search for BBC Local radio would return the correct URL for that)

That came up with the following;
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_two/format/pls.pls

Copy that
Open the SoundTouch App
Go to Settings> Stream Custom URL
Paste into the URL field
Key in a name of your choosing in the name field

With the new service streaming:
Go to the ‘buttons’ menu in the App (top right corner)
Still in the App, press and hold the virtual button of your choice and the new service will be assigned to that button.

im a big fan of internet radio especially the german 80s stuff
beats the awful quality of DAB

Thanks very much Glenn, found the URL for my local radio station (Radio Manchester) set it up as per your post, working fine so far. Fingers crossed it continues.

Thanks again,

Pete

Thanks very much Glenn, found the URL for my local radio station (Radio Manchester) set it up as per your post, working fine so far. Fingers crossed it continues.

Thanks again,

Pete
You’re welcome. We needed to do something ourselves.

We also want to follow Ken Bruce to Greatest Hits Radio, but so far have been unable to find a suitable URL (the bad news). They just seem to keep pushing towards streaming via their app.

However we have found that Greatest Hits radio is presently streaming via Tunein, so we’ve been able to assign a button for that (the good news).

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's good, I like Ken too,

Pete.

Hey Pete
I've happened upon this post and thought I'd share my experience as I too have a BOSE Soundtouch. I was also hearing the annoying announcement whilst streaming via TuneIn. However I've found that by switching to Radioplayer on the SoundTouch app, ditching TuneIn settings, BBC at current time of posting appears to be working ok. The BBC Sounds blog/info (on the BBC website) has pretty confusing info but from what I can see there Radioplayer has struck a deal to stream BBC stations. Sonos appears to have stolen the march in connectivity and is recognised as a major audio partner. Incidentally I did manage months ago to get through to Bose UK but frankly disappointingly, for a major reputable brand, the answers I received were less than helpful.
Bye!

I rarely listen to BBC channels on the net (the exceptions were a Goon Show channel which has now disappeared, and a Just A Minute channel likewise. My main internet radio channel is Aardvark Blues, for which I also have a phone app to I can always stream it from phone to network player.

Not sure if it's relevant to the above, but I used to listen to BBC stations on my SONOS Play:3 via the TuneIn service. This became unavailable, but I found out I can now listen to it via BBC Sounds (only Listen Live, not past stuff, unless it's a "podcast", IIRC).

Delete that, just done an explore on the SONOS app and found that all the BBC Proms this year are available, although I haven't tried listening to them from that source yet (normally listen live as indicated above)!

I rarely listen to BBC channels on the net (the exceptions were a Goon Show channel which has now disappeared, and a Just A Minute channel likewise. My main internet radio channel is Aardvark Blues, for which I also have a phone app to I can always stream it from phone to network player.

FWIW There are a decent number of episodes (103) of The Good Show on BBC Sounds

There's also a podcast which is posting an episode a week, 114 of them as of today

140+ shows are also on Apple Music, if you happen to use that.

A couple of years ago I did work my way through the entirety of The Navy Lark that's available there.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob,
Useful sources. I do have most Goon Shows, Navy Lark, Round the Horne and Hancock on tape or CD, but it was nice having dedicated channels for these type of shows.

Back