Internet security suite recommendatiosn ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, its that time again when I have to renew my security suite :( .
Been running Norton now for 3 years with no real problems and the computer still runs fast enough (some people have probs with Norton slowing things down too much apparently). But the upgrade will cost me more than buying again new (stupid Symantec business logic :wacky: ).
Reading reviews on Amazon site there seems to be more than the usual number of users having probs with Norton screwing their system, so I'm considering switching to the AVG suite - anyone got any security suite recommendations?

I want an all-in-one solution, it doesn't have to be free (I'm not THAT tight :D ).
Oh and I'm still thinking about getting a Mac so you don't need to tell me I wont need a security suite if I switch to Mac :D ;)

TIA,
Rich :)

I ran norton for quite awhile until recently it was the 2006 version That caused me no end of ****!
Spybot or AVG or AVAST! all have "free to use for home"
All great. I wouldn't reccommend Norton EVER again after all the hassle I had with it

BitDefender - £36 for two years license, for two computers (so it does my pc and my laptop). I've been using it for a couple of years now and think it's great. I've only just renewed my sub for another 2 yrs and upgraded from v8 to v10 at the same time.

It does...
Anti Virus, Firewall, Anti Spam, Anti Spyware and Parental Control, all independantly adjustable from one interface.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet security 2007. It's an all in one and can't complain!:) It can get abit panicy though if it does'nt like the look of an advert.:puke: If it had ears, they are burning, just starting scanning.:eek: No idea how much it is though, it was'nt a paid for version!:geek: If you know what I mean.

Matthew

I used to use bitdefender on the PC, with no problems at all.

But dont have a PC anymore.

I take it you run these all together, are they system hungry little sods ?

When I upgraded to Vista I decided to stop using Norton. I found it so intrusive, always popping up telling me it was there, butting in on everything :nono: I'm now running Kaspersky Internet Security and I love it. It does everything you'd expect of an internet security suite but unlike Norton, just sits quietly in the background. It feels completely unobtrusive, you hardly know it's there. If you read the press they claim that in bench tests it found and blocked way more viruses and attacks than Norton too (y)

I use AVG for anti Virus and firewall, and AdAware SE personal for spyware etc. They are both free programmes, and both work well.

No matter how hard you try though, you'll aways find that cunning low level threats get through.

I run adaware daily. It takes only a couple of minutes, and it'll sort any of the sneaky beggars that slip through.

AVG was good for 2 years then causing hassle...........so Prevx1 for me now!

not an iota of trouble since using this. (y)

AVG work fine for me, I also use Adaware and Spybot.
Don't for get to change browser to firefox in your on a PC

All are free, why pay when you get the same protection for nowt.

Another fan of AVG here - they were recommended to us by Dell after endless trouble with McAfee. No problems so far! Why pay for something you can get for nothing?! :shrug:

I take it you run these all together, are they system hungry little sods ?

If you mean me then yes the wife does without any problems what so ever.
in fact widows firewall is really all you need behind a nat or SPI router.

I run Ubuntu Linux so i dont have these crazy virus' ;)

AVG, and Zone Alarm, after more than enough hastle with
Macafee.
Had to have the putor rebuilt twice because of them, and
was not a happy chapie.
AVG works well though.

Dave P.:)

:canon:

whatever you do avoid both Norton and McAfee. The latest versions of their products can only be considered bloatware. Neither really provides more protection for your PC than using a free antivirus program such as AVG and the default windows firewall. And both will slow down your PC considerably. Then there is the problem that norton will just screw up all your network/internet settings so if you decide to get rid of it, your computer will be unusable. I have personally rebuilt two pc's recently simply due to norton screwing them up more than any virus could. Mcafee has problems with causing the computer to hang due to resource hungry programming in their main scanning thread. The thread also seems to run with higher than required priority so it will cause the system to become unresponsive occassionally.

Zone Alarm!!

Nuked my Norton I/S 2006 and very happy!!

Word of warning though... do not fiddle with the fancy settings unless you really know what you are doing, you might just lock yourself out of your own pc:bonk:

definatly agree with avoiding norton and macafee.

I use Avast for anti-virus. My router has a built in firewall, plus i have windows firewall running. Very little or no problems so far. Very happy with it. Although i might need a better firewall in the future than windows.

:)

in fact widows firewall is really all you need behind a nat or SPI router.

Agree with the above. Unless you're in the habit of visiting dodgy website ;)

I use the Windows firewall and used to use Kaspersky, which is probably the safest AV on the market. There is a new AOL branded free AV out now which uses the Kaspersky engine so when my licence ran out I used that. Can be downloaded here:

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Monthly Spybot and Adaware scans just to be sure.

Only time I've ever picked up a Virus in the last 4 years was during the brief couple of weeks I used AVG directly after building a second box.

I’ve dropped Norton after 4yrs and as I use Virgin Media I thought I’d give their free service a go ,PC Guard, Its great does everything firewall, av, spyware, parental control, pop ups, Identity theft. I hope it’s not too good to be true? /

I have never used anything other than NAV 2003 (still do), the other years 2004 -2006 engines were slow and intrusive on applications so if you can get a copy of that go for it!!! the virus definitions are stilkl available as they are a downloadable file from the Symantec site. don't touch McAffee its a nightmare and still tries to virus check things like Java JDKs (big stuff) when it doesn't need to and is set to be excluded :bang:
For a firewall get yourself the downloadable and very free Zonealarm, don't get the payable version as with all the "suite" things its aimedf at the numbnut and tries to do far to many things and instead of doing what they orig sposed to do tries to be too clever and fails miserably
For internet security thats pretty much all you need if you've got a router to broadband it will prob already have a firewall anyway (albeit configurable). The AVG i hear (think that too is the free one) is good but found NAV found a virus or 3 it didn't.
you can also get a free (think) spyware down from microsoft too, but IMO use seprate products cos the combined ones are pants!!!!!!

Just an update...
I ended up getting AVG Security Suite. Removed Norton security suite (no probs with their own uninstall tool, downloaded from their website) and just installed AVG with no probs. All OK so far.
If I notice any significant speed improvements or difference in performance I'll post back in case anyones interested.

Back