Internet speed is driving me crazy

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Does anyone else want to pull their hair out when it comes to internet speed?

I'm with plusnet, and was promised well over 20mbps when I took the policy out. Now, for the ladt 6 months (if not longer) I've been experiencing really bad service.

I have a smart tv, this doesn't work. A playstation, this doesn't work. My laptop, takes literally 40 minutes to upload 1 pic to facebook.

it's driving me mental.

just look at this for broadband speed!

Screenshot_2016-04-15-11-57-24-1.png

not even 1 mbps download speed.

I'd switch provider (unless they can resolve it quickly), if you've been promised at least 20mbps then they're not keeping to their end of the contract.

I get 30-40mbps and I'm in the middle of nowhere using a microwave transponder via a local company!

Last edited:
I'm going to phone them in a minute as enough is enough. I'm finding that I have to transfer my files to my phone, then upload them on that instead rather than laptop.

That's definitely not acceptable, especially in this day and age. I'm surprised you get enough bandwidth to even post on here, lol!

There's clearly a problem. I'm with sky and used to get 9mb then it dropped to 0.8 for a while. I called them and they did a line test, there was a problem with the local box so they got BT to come and fix it and it's OK again now. Could be as simple as that.

I'm using my phone at the minute, as I'll ending up throwing my laptop out window. I bet dial up would havw been quicker haha

just to be clear, no ISP promises any set speed. its always an "up to" figure.

id get on to your ISP though, could be a fault on the line. as someone else said post your SnR and attenuation stats from your router.

id get on to your ISP though, could be a fault on the line. as someone else said post your SnR and attenuation stats from your router.
...but for arguments sake, if they're advertising a package at 30mb (and you're paying for it) and you're only getting 0.7 regularly, they're not keeping to their end of the contract, its completely unreasonable.

It does look like a fault though.

Last edited:
...but for arguments sake, if they're advertising a package at 30mb (and you're paying for it) and you're only getting 0.7 regularly, they're not keeping to their end of the contract.
oh i agree that they need to be more transparent with their actual speeds especially if they cannot provide anything remotely close to the theoretical max. do plusnet do a check pre install to see what the line can support?

however they're always an "up to" speed guideline.

Many do now give you a very close estimate and BT (when looking on there site a few weeks ago) gave me a guaranteed speed (within 1-2mbps either way)

FTTC but that shouldn't make too much difference as it still relies on the last stretch over copper.
its less influenced by other factors though so easier to get right. copper from the exchange can be a bit more hit and miss.

anyway we digress. OP should contact the ISP in the first instance and run through their diagnosics. might be worth replacing microfilters, removing extensions and checking the test/master socket as they'll get you to do that anyway.

Last edited:
We've used Zen for years because their service has always been first class. They're more expensive than some but they do keep things running well and fix problems quickly.

We've used Zen for years because their service has always been first class. They're more expensive than some but they do keep things running well and fix problems quickly.

I've been with zen for years as well, but recently my speed dropped by more than half in just over a month. It was a hell of a job getting them to admit there was a fault and eventually I had to cause a bit of a stink in order to get an engineer out.

Despite zen being adamant the fault was my internal wiring (even after testing on the master socket and connecting directly with a laptop on a PPPoE connection) the engineer was here for half an hour, confirmed no fault with the lines and simply reset my IP profile. Since then I've been syncing consistently back at 40mbps.

The OP really does need to get onto the ISP. 0.7mbps is not acceptable at all on a line that should be up to 20mbps.
These ISP will do anything to prevent sending an engineer as they get charged, but I find that shouting loud enough normally gets results.

For what we pay I'm quite happy with it.

The upload speed is 3Mbps which is, albeit far slower than the download, enough for me ordinarily.

I'd be annoyed if I had a 200mb line and my average speed dropped by 25% between 8pm to 10pm - they seem very cagey about upload speeds as well which means they are probably not good.

I love the way they compare their speeds to sky and BT regular broadband.
Why not compare to sky and BT fibre broadband?

I've just been on the phone to my mate who works for bt. He's talked me thriugh it all, and had me testing the main phone line socket. The test plug behind it is for bt employees to test the line. Plugged it into that, and i'm getting 2mpbs. Still not amazing. Our phone line crackles when on phone and has an intermittent beep instead of a dial tone.

He's told me it's a high resistance fault on the line that's causing it

It's good that you've got a diagnosis but reflects very badly on your ISP that you needed a back door to get it.

I've just been on the phone to my mate who works for bt. He's talked me thriugh it all, and had me testing the main phone line socket. The test plug behind it is for bt employees to test the line. Plugged it into that, and i'm getting 2mpbs. Still not amazing. Our phone line crackles when on phone and has an intermittent beep instead of a dial tone.

He's told me it's a high resistance fault on the line that's causing it

It could also indicate a fault with one of your filters or internal wiring if the speed jumps up on the test socket.
Does your phone still crackle when plugged into the test socket?

I think he means that the ISP should be offering the diagnosis and not a friend

That was the point I was trying to make. When we had a problem with our connection, the Zen support person talked me through the same routine. I managed not to tell him that I was a software tech at BT in a previous existence! :)

Last edited:
I am with plusnet & i get 38mbs down & around 8mbs up,if you are getting crackling on the line tell PN this & they will arrange a BT visit.
Definately sounds like a fault on the line.

It could also indicate a fault with one of your filters or internal wiring if the speed jumps up on the test socket.
Does your phone still crackle when plugged into the test socket?

Yeah still get crackling

The main issue is not the speed but the ping, that indicates there is an issue. On broadband it should be around 20 to 50ms, not 500! I would contact your ISP!

It is how long it takes to respond, if I send a request off, it will respond in 20ms, yours takes half a second. It means your biggest issue is not the speed, but waiting for the computer to respond at the other end.

Yeah still get crackling

If you have phone with BT the received wisdom was that you report issues like that crackling as a voice issue not data/broadband I.e. you get voice fixed then broadband should 'naturally' become better possibly as noted with plusnet doing something like a complete reset.

If you have both phone and BB with plusnet they need to own the problem promptly.......as well as raising a ticket by phone or via the fault reporting system on the PN portal I suggest you also register with the plusnet community forum as the CSC guys monitor the forum and can aid getting problems escalation

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Last edited:
We have had consistently atrocious speeds with BT(very rural area) since we went from an ISDN to the supposedly better Broadband. Consistent complaints have seen every engineer in the area here, and replacement of all wires and boxes both within and outside the house, new 'cards' in the exchange and yet no improvement yet we have supposedly had BTTV for about five years and couldn't understand why it tripped out, until one engineer laughed and said 'you wont get TV on the speed your line carries most of the time'. (under 2Mb more usually 1.7Mb download speed).

It has been a huge learning curve, but we finally get fibre broadband next week and whilst the advertised up to 76Mb is apparently more likely to yield only around 68Mb, it will be interesting when it goes live. I experienced a 70Mb line last week in a different part of the country and realised what we have been missing.

.......Next the compensation claim for what we have been ripped off for 5 years by BT when they knew full well the inadequacies of what they were mis-selling.....

Anyone else without the future of fibre broadband should ditch BT in favour of satellite internet, unless you are a gamer in which case the latency of broadcasting the signal to outer space usually renders it unsuitable or paying for your own private business leased line. Our was quoted at £5000-£6000 plus installation, plus the monthly charges for 100Mb service.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. It's been driving me crazy. When I want a bit of down time, I can't use my ps4 as it constantly needs to sort a network for each game. I then switch tv on, netflix mainly and it buffers ebery 10 seconds.

how I haven't put my foot through the tv i'll never know!

Just what I'm dealing with. This game on my ps4 has been downloading now for 3 days.....3 BLOODY DAYS!

it moves......well, I think it moves

20160416_020147.jpg

Back