Intrepid Enlarger

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
No, not a way to convert a 5x4 to 5x7 and up to 10x8 but a back with light source and timer which can be attached to any 5x4 camera to allow it to be used as an enlarger.

Details here.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
No, not a way to convert a 5x4 to 5x7 and up to 10x8 but a back with light source and timer which can be attached to any 5x4 camera to allow it to be used as an enlarger.

Details here.
Very interesting, but there was a comment on twitter which I thought was pertinent: how do you ensure the "enlarger head" is exactly parallel to the plain of the paper? If not, there'll be keystoning and perhaps uneven exposure (they said).

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
If you use a copying stand, it should be taken care of; using a tripod (as shown on the Intrepid site) I assume spirit levels and detents should fix it. The problem shouldn't really be any worse than having a conventional enlarger that allows the head to be tilted to correct verticals. One of mine allows both head and lens panel to be tilted independently.

Ansel Adams (from memory) use a converted camera as his 10x8 enlarger, complete with his own home built light source.

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Surely a geared tripod head would be all that's needed?

I have to say though, I am interested. I scanned the website, but couldn't see a possible release date; do we know of one by any chance?

EDIT: Nvm, kickstarter for it goes live on 4/10/18

Last edited:
OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Intrepid this afternoon and saw the enlarger head and timer on the bench near a (Kaiser?) copying stand. That suggests their take on a reasonable camera holder. I've never had a need for a copying stand in the past, but I'll admit that I've had a few jobs in the last year or so that would have been easier had I had one. If I were in the market for the enlarger, I'd certainly buy one. It seems that they have already had questions about a 10x8 version! Anyway, they are obviously steaming ahead.

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Allegedly this goes live at 8pm tonight :)

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot'13/14 <span class=poty>FPOTY'17</span>
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Jokes. :(

RaglanSurf

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
On a positive note the £119 is still available and youre close enough to drive over and collect.

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
For £119 though, one does not get the timer, which I was interested in.

The other thing is, I don't really want to use the Ebony as an enlarger, so it's really not going to be a cheap thing to get into :/

RaglanSurf

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I won't bother, if I'm going to get back into wet printing I'll search the car boot sales and Gumtree.

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't as I already have a 5x4 enlarger; but having seen the Intrepid enlarger mounted on the Intrepid camera, I can say that it's a lot smaller and lighter than my LPL enlarger.

I haven't checked, but I would assume that multigrade printing would require beneath the lens filters.

AndrewFlannigan

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I'm sure many people realise this isn't a new idea. Linhoff sold a copying stand and a lamp house system. Add the camera and you had an enlarger. It wasn't cheap but it was built to Linhoff standards so could be used as an anti-tank weapon in an emergency. I think MPP made a similar kit and there were outfits from several other manufacturers. Not that it's a bad idea to re-introduce.

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Quite. There aren't many 5x4 enlargers that you can pack away when not in use in a shoe box :)

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm curious to know, does the timer box part have a mains connection? I can see in the photo there are two connectors - one is clearly for the light box itself - I just want to confirm it's not battery powered or something daft like that.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm curious to know, does the timer box part have a mains connection? I can see in the photo there are two connectors - one is clearly for the light box itself - I just want to confirm it's not battery powered or something daft like that.
Actually I have the opposite problem, I'd really like to run it off my 12v supply in the shed (once I finish kitting it out), but I can't find any information.

edit: Max from intrepid got back to me. Whole system is 12v but comes with a mains adaptor.

https://www.largeformatphotography....r-Attachment&p=1512955&viewfull=1#post1512955

Last edited:

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes