Intrepid Enlarger

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
No, not a way to convert a 5x4 to 5x7 and up to 10x8 but a back with light source and timer which can be attached to any 5x4 camera to allow it to be used as an enlarger.

Details here.

No, not a way to convert a 5x4 to 5x7 and up to 10x8 but a back with light source and timer which can be attached to any 5x4 camera to allow it to be used as an enlarger.

Details here.

Very interesting, but there was a comment on twitter which I thought was pertinent: how do you ensure the "enlarger head" is exactly parallel to the plain of the paper? If not, there'll be keystoning and perhaps uneven exposure (they said).

If you use a copying stand, it should be taken care of; using a tripod (as shown on the Intrepid site) I assume spirit levels and detents should fix it. The problem shouldn't really be any worse than having a conventional enlarger that allows the head to be tilted to correct verticals. One of mine allows both head and lens panel to be tilted independently.

Ansel Adams (from memory) use a converted camera as his 10x8 enlarger, complete with his own home built light source.

Surely a geared tripod head would be all that's needed?

I have to say though, I am interested. I scanned the website, but couldn't see a possible release date; do we know of one by any chance?

EDIT: Nvm, kickstarter for it goes live on 4/10/18

Last edited:
I was in Intrepid this afternoon and saw the enlarger head and timer on the bench near a (Kaiser?) copying stand. That suggests their take on a reasonable camera holder. I've never had a need for a copying stand in the past, but I'll admit that I've had a few jobs in the last year or so that would have been easier had I had one. If I were in the market for the enlarger, I'd certainly buy one. It seems that they have already had questions about a 10x8 version! Anyway, they are obviously steaming ahead.

On a positive note the £119 is still available and youre close enough to drive over and collect.

For £119 though, one does not get the timer, which I was interested in.

The other thing is, I don't really want to use the Ebony as an enlarger, so it's really not going to be a cheap thing to get into :/

I won't bother, if I'm going to get back into wet printing I'll search the car boot sales and Gumtree.

I'll search the car boot sales

Av you seen this Bri ?? @excalibur2

Your bootie bargains could be under threat :runaway:

Psst, between you and me, if you av words with the sellers and get 'em to put their display tables on bricks, Mr Surf won't be able to see the goods!!:ROFLMAO::exit::D:D:D

So did anyone get one? £180 full retail looks quite dear but faffing around on ebay for a used working 4x5 enlarger is a bit of a pita.

I didn't as I already have a 5x4 enlarger; but having seen the Intrepid enlarger mounted on the Intrepid camera, I can say that it's a lot smaller and lighter than my LPL enlarger.

I haven't checked, but I would assume that multigrade printing would require beneath the lens filters.

I'm sure many people realise this isn't a new idea. Linhoff sold a copying stand and a lamp house system. Add the camera and you had an enlarger. It wasn't cheap but it was built to Linhoff standards so could be used as an anti-tank weapon in an emergency. I think MPP made a similar kit and there were outfits from several other manufacturers. Not that it's a bad idea to re-introduce.

Quite. There aren't many 5x4 enlargers that you can pack away when not in use in a shoe box :)

I'm curious to know, does the timer box part have a mains connection? I can see in the photo there are two connectors - one is clearly for the light box itself - I just want to confirm it's not battery powered or something daft like that.

I'm curious to know, does the timer box part have a mains connection? I can see in the photo there are two connectors - one is clearly for the light box itself - I just want to confirm it's not battery powered or something daft like that.

Actually I have the opposite problem, I'd really like to run it off my 12v supply in the shed (once I finish kitting it out), but I can't find any information.

edit: Max from intrepid got back to me. Whole system is 12v but comes with a mains adaptor.

https://www.largeformatphotography....r-Attachment&p=1512955&viewfull=1#post1512955

Last edited:
Back